HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2010
497 Posts
Discussion
Suggestions for most affordable CP heli to crash and repair?

I already own a trex 450 (clone), and have been flying it for quite a while, but never did any inverted 3D because crashes are simply way too expensive and time consuming.

Looking for a CP heli to just let loose with and not have to worry about crashing much. The most important criteria are
1. Durability
2. Parts are very cheap and readily available.
3. Takes the minimum amount of time to fix, without tons of linkages to precicely adjust, etc.
4. It must fly well of course, doesn't have to be "the best" since I'd rather have one that doesn't fly as good, but spends more time in the air, than one that flies better but spends more time out of commission after crashes.

Any good suggestions?
Genius CP (or clones/rebrands)?
MCPX (or fbl100 clone)?
Trex250 clone?
some others I'm not aware of?
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:53 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
I already own a trex 450 (clone), and have been flying it for quite a while, but never did any inverted 3D because crashes are simply way too expensive and time consuming.

Looking for a CP heli to just let loose with and not have to worry about crashing much. The most important criteria are
1. Durability
2. Parts are very cheap and readily available.
3. Takes the minimum amount of time to fix, without tons of linkages to precicely adjust, etc.
4. It must fly well of course, doesn't have to be "the best" since I'd rather have one that doesn't fly as good, but spends more time in the air, than one that flies better but spends more time out of commission after crashes.

Any good suggestions?
Genius CP (or clones/rebrands)?
MCPX (or fbl100 clone)?
Trex250 clone?
some others I'm not aware of?
Walkera V120D02S V2 and a LB slipper clutch for the tail..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:57 PM
United States, CA, South San Francisco
Joined Jun 2012
35 Posts
MCPX V2 for sure
rewansyah is offline Find More Posts by rewansyah
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:00 AM
indonesia
Joined Sep 2009
23 Posts
+1 for
Walkera V120D02S and a LB slipper clutch for the tail
yoyoncm is offline Find More Posts by yoyoncm
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:31 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,323 Posts
I have owned the MCPx, Genius CP, Mini CP, V120D02S and Trex 250 FBL.

My experience is that the 100 sized CPs are considerably more durable than the V120D02S. There is not that much difference in durability among the 100 sized CP. However, I found that the Mini CP is by the best for learning basic 3D in its stock fom with a brushed motor. It is the only one that can go inverted easily without the risk of the motor being bogged down or having a tail blowout.

I would leave the 250 well alone. The V120D02S is even better for learning 3D than the Mini CP but the repair costs can be considerable if you crash a lot.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post

My experience is that the 100 sized CPs are considerably more durable than the V120D02S. There is not that much difference in durability among the 100 sized CP. However, I found that the Mini CP is by the best for learning basic 3D in its stock fom with a brushed motor. It is the only one that can go inverted easily without the risk of the motor being bogged down or having a tail blowout.

I would leave the 250 well alone. The V120D02S is even better for learning 3D than the Mini CP but the repair costs can be considerable if you crash a lot.
True... But as he flies a 450 size also I think he would be better off with the V120D02S.. I don't think his cost to crash will be that much more than the mini CP as long as he has the slipper clutch on the tail. And the trade off for having a good handling tail and much longer flight times is worth it to me...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Nov 2011
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post

I use my D02S as my 3D trainer. That thing can take an incredible beating especially flying over grass. The main things I seem to break are skids, cracked canopys and once I broke the tail boom and bent the tail shaft. I've never bent a main or feathering shaft and the main gear and servos are all the originals.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, CA, Chowchilla
Joined Aug 2009
962 Posts
D02s all the way!! the only thing you will need to worry about are tail gears but that can be fixed with a slipper clutch
helikido is online now Find More Posts by helikido