HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:42 PM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,115 Posts
Discussion
which CAD to replace Turbocad LE?

I have used Turbocad LE (V4) for many years. I was happy with it and don't need any more functionality. But the PC it ran on died and its replacement runs a 64 bit Windows 7. Can't install my CAD on it.

What CAD can I use without having to learn all over? I prefer similar menu structures and cheap or free. It must also be able to open my old .tcw drawings

Thanks, Hans
hul is online now Find More Posts by hul
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
Hillsboro, OR
Joined Sep 2001
62 Posts
You could always install a virtual machine (VirtualBox or VMWare) on your new computer running XP and put turboCad on that. No relearning required.
I run Linux in VirtualBox on Windows 7.
Jay
jhopkins is offline Find More Posts by jhopkins
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
May want to look at DevCAD (devcad.com) It reminds me a lot of TurboCAD. Not sure if it import TCW drawings, but it does a nice job with DXF files. Free to try download.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:47 PM
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
726 Posts
My e-mail is setup on a different computer. However, I seem to remember getting a marketing e-mail from IMSI recently, that said the new version of TurboCad could use the extra memory available in 64 bit systems. Why not e-mail IMSI and ask about using the software on 64 bit systems.

Even if the software isn't 64 bit compliant now, they are going to have to address the issue soon.

Ken
Ken Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:38 AM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,115 Posts
V14 and newer run on 64bit systems even though they're only 32bit, if I understand right. But Pro is sort of dear and I'm not sure if Deluxe or LTE still handle the same as my LE.
I'm going to try a virtual machine for now to buy me more time to study this.

Thanks, Hans
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:55 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
I used Turbocad LE in the past, but since I've switched to Google Sketchup, I wouldn't go back, at least for models. As programs, they are of course completely different, and you may find those differences frustrating to start with, but once you get the hang of it, it's kind of addictive.

Yes it's a 3D system, but you can easily work in 2D by setting the camera to top view. And no it doesn't natively support .dxf (at least the free version doesn't) but you can download free plugins that will allow you to import and export .dxf.

You can also add a .dat import plugin that will allow you to import airfoils from the huge UIUC database.

You can also add the Phlatboyz SketchuCam tools which will allow you to export G-code for CNC -- also free.

And of course there's the great resources here and at Phlatboyz for learning Sketchup, with an emphasis on model design.

Is Sketchup a Turbocad LE replacement. No it's different, not a typical CAD program or architecture. But it has rapidly become a favorite tool for me.

If you do decide to try it, get the older 7.1 version, as that one has the most compatibility with the plugins and tools I mentioned.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:06 AM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,115 Posts
I played with Sketchup and VirtualBox anad found them both more trouble than I'm willing to take. Sketchup (or any other modern CAD) may be worth it if I wanted to do 3D and CNC, but I don't.

Then tried the trial version of Turbocad Deluxe V19 (much more like it) and bought a cheap V15 on ebay. I hope it will be similar to V19.

Thanks, Hans