Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 21, 2003, 04:58 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,901 Posts
I glued my servos to the brackets with a dab of household goop.
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2003, 06:42 PM
2 many post 4 1 SlowStick
Bossier City, La.
Joined Jun 2003
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Starfox9
HELP!!! I got HS-55's and the servo brackets fit them, but the screws provided were too big. How can i get my servo's to fit? Also i lost the screws from the set(cat ate them) so what can i do in terms of getting new ones.
I guess it's history now, but the pointed, wood type threaded screws do well in that little bitty hole on the servo brackets. I guess you have to want them to go...

Household goop is a strong glue, ...available almost everywhere.
bubba
bubbadice is offline Find More Posts by bubbadice
Old Nov 21, 2003, 08:22 PM
Foam Addict
Boston 'ish MA
Joined Aug 2003
714 Posts
Ok thanks. I tried all the screws but mine didnt come with any pointed screws... Do you think Zap CA would work?
Starfox9 is offline Find More Posts by Starfox9
Old Nov 21, 2003, 08:47 PM
2 many post 4 1 SlowStick
Bossier City, La.
Joined Jun 2003
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Starfox9
Ok thanks. I tried all the screws but mine didnt come with any pointed screws... Do you think Zap CA would work?
I'm very sorry, I had assumed the 51's came with the same type 'hardware' bag as my 81's. My bad.
bubba
Re: CA, my limited experience tells me thick may work well. I see thin as being too 'brittle'. The Household goop as just right.

edit: checked and something wrong if you didn't get screws that would typically be used to mount the servos in balsa/wood.
bubbadice is offline Find More Posts by bubbadice
Last edited by bubbadice; Nov 23, 2003 at 12:29 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 09:11 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ndflicks
Why don't you sell it here in the for sale section??? I know why... you secretly want to build a BIPLANE!!! LoL
mainly because of the extra shipping charges - it would costmore than you could get one from the LHS... i would be happy getting my $35.99 back now. lets face it - the box isnt small, and if i just got my money back plus shipping (lets say $45 total) all responses would be "but i can get this for $35 at the store - ill give you $30 shipped for it"

i got it b/c it was $10 more than the motor i needed to replace.. i then decided to call horizon hobby and tell them about my motor dying - and they sent me a new one... so now i have a complete kit (maybe thats how i should have my IPS that just died from my TM replaced this way)..

plus i honestly expected to tear the plane up a bit quicker and use the plane for backup parts - but this thing is so easy to fly that i havent had to dig into the parts.

so boomer (or anyone else who has done this) - how do you choose a brushless motor or are there any other motors that will last longer than these - i dont need a stack of backup planes in my garage
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
Old Nov 21, 2003, 09:12 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
also - i am trying to convince a friend to get addicted - err i mean in the hobby - and think his wife will get it for him for christmas
Old Nov 21, 2003, 09:16 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I would think a quick trip to a good hardware store or a place where computers are repaired or assembled would get you the screws you need. If all else fails, hunt down the toys that your kids have and steal the small screws out of them that hold the plastic pieces together. Some of them have very small screws. I always rob them of their screws before throwing the broken toys away. I know it sounds petty, but you try to find screws that small down here where I live. It takes me a full afternoon and travel to at least 6 stores to do my grocery shopping each week, and then we still don't have everything we want. My kids hide their toys from dad when he is looking for a screw these days.
-Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Nov 21, 2003, 09:27 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
i do the same - had a couple UPS' die for the computer - salvaged the 12v batteries and use them as field batteries to charge my tx and flight batteries without having to use my car

Quote:
Originally posted by Daddy-O
My kids hide their toys from dad when he is looking for a screw these days.
-Daddy-O
(in the beavis and butthead voice) huh huh huh - he said screw
Old Nov 21, 2003, 09:30 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nose_first
so boomer (or anyone else who has done this) - how do you choose a brushless motor or are there any other motors that will last longer than these - i dont need a stack of backup planes in my garage
The least expensive way to go is a 400C-F motor/GB with a 12 X 6 prop on 8 or 9 KANs but be sure your esc is rated at least 10 amps and 15 is better (the GWS 400 esc is perfect!)
For brushless I prefer the MiniAC 16 in the 400C-I GB swinging a 14 X 7 E prop! You can also use the 400C-F box swinging a 11 X 7 E prop. Both give outstsnding preformance with the Phoenix 25 speed control.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Nov 21, 2003, 09:44 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
boomer - so doing it this way - how long do the bl motors last? it sounds like cose to forever. and do the 400 size motors last longer than to 300's?
-jeff
Old Nov 21, 2003, 09:50 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nose_first
boomer - so doing it this way - how long do the bl motors last? it sounds like cose to forever. and do the 400 size motors last longer than to 300's?
-jeff
Brushless unless damaged by a crash pretty much unlimited life!
400 setup I quoted has bigger brushes than the 300 and even on 9 cells is within GWS specs. On 8 cells it's just coasting. Keep in mind however it won't have a lot more power than your 300C on 8- 800 NiMH's however but will last a lot longer! I love brushless!! BTW did you ever see the videos of the Astro 020 powered one? Insane 40+ thrust! Zoom Zoom!!
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Nov 21, 2003 at 09:53 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 09:57 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
I see your point about the SS.... Wonder if your LHS would take it in trade on a NEW BRUSHLESS MOTOR AND ESC for it's full retail?!?!?! Worth a try.

While you're out salvaging computer parts, get some old cd-roms and BUILD a brushless! If I could rationalize shelling out 60 bucks or more for a speed control, I'd have a BL mini max!! LOL, wouldn't matter if the wings folded this time!

Bill
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:07 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I am using the 400C-F and 8 800 nimh's right now. It works great and I get about 12 minute flight times. I have the other batteries that Boomer suggested for me that are in Florida right now waiting for my mail plane to bring them to me. I am looking forward to seeing how they improve things. I really like the 400C-F setup and I can take the SS up higher on this setup than I could with the stock 300C-D. We will have 4 (or 5? I ordered them a long time ago) SS in all for the family and I am putting the 400C-F motor on all of them. Maybe when I get everyone in the family setup, I can save for a Brushless setup. I would like to get something for the SS that I could use for AP and switch to use on some FFF projects that I am planning on doing. Hey Boomer, will that MiniAC 16 fit the bill? I love this hobby. BTW, no more crashes with the SS. I think I have got it figured out. I'm no pro, but I'm not afraid to take it up and have some fun with it any longer and I love using it for AP. Thanks for all of the help Boomer!
-Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:08 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
Quote:
While you're out salvaging computer parts, get some old cd-roms and BUILD a brushless! Bill
yeah - im mad b/c i just threw out 2 of them recently - i am waiting for some to take the dive at work. i did make a 12v power supply from my old computer case

Quote:
If I could rationalize shelling out 60 bucks or more for a speed control, I'd have a BL mini max!! LOL, wouldn't matter if the wings folded this time!

Bill
well - just kill a few motors and theres your rationalization all of my LHS' only sell the motors with gearboxes - so theres ~$25 per pop
Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:11 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Daddy-O Mini AC is what I use for many planes from the SS to the MiniFlash to the ?????? For much larger planes like my Miss 2 I like the Astro 020 W/planetary GB! Just put a Astro 010 in the 300C-B box in my Beaver! We'll see how that does on a 12 X 6 prop and 10 cell 650 KAN pack!??
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Nov 21, 2003 at 10:15 PM.
Closed Thread