HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 19, 2003, 08:42 PM
2 many post 4 1 SlowStick
Bossier City, La.
Joined Jun 2003
587 Posts
Quote: Boomerace..."/... Then immediatly wrap the remaining 1" of the 2" wide tape around the rod and stick tightly to the underside of the wing.".../

I've got the picture you painted Boomer.

...the only thing unresolved towards me making a truly 'bullet-proof' wing is...

...I'm finding a problem getting Clear Packing tape to stick with any lasting authority on the underside/raw foam of the wing. I've seen reference to spraying a 3M 77?, ...but more importantly I already have some DURO All-Purpose Spray Adhesive. It works/applies a lot like 'contact cement'. It specifies, and gives instructions how to use on foam. I'm assuming it would be a good thing to spray a light coat prior to taping. Anyone do anything to prepare the 'raw' foam on the wing bottom and can tell me product/results?
bubba

p.s. I also haven't done any extra reinforcing for preventing 'folding wing'. Two reasons, I'm not yet ready to dive and stress the wing to need it, and the above problem on not getting a good stick on the raw foam bottom to do any reinforcing I could go with and trust to stay stuck.
bubbadice is offline Find More Posts by bubbadice
Last edited by bubbadice; Nov 19, 2003 at 08:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2003, 08:49 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Good luck with the probond. Sorry about the CA!
Have you tried the foam-safe? I think all the F-S CA's are odorless, so if you are gluing under your nose, it doesn't get your eyes irritated. Well - it does a little if you try, but MUCH less than regular CA. It's good stuff, so maybe you can give it a try.
-Michael
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
Old Nov 19, 2003, 08:51 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Bubba,
A good swabing with alcohol is usually all it takes to get the release agent off the foam so the tape sticks. Use 3M tape.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Nov 19, 2003, 09:00 PM
Bossier City, La.
Joined Jun 2003
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by boomerace
Bubba,
A good swabing with alcohol is usually all it takes to get the release agent off the foam so the tape sticks. Use 3M tape.
boomer
Well now! I've never seen you refer to the 'release agent' on the foam! You been holding out again!

...or I just missed it probably?
bubba

[got to tear off a piece of tape on my wing bottom that's covering a CA'd crack. Do a little 'swabbing']
Last edited by bubbadice; Nov 19, 2003 at 09:22 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 09:24 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bubbadice
Well now! I've never seen you refer to the 'release agent' on the foam! You been holding out again!

...or I just missed it probably?
bubba

[got to tear off a piece of tape on my wing bottom that's covering a CA'd crack. Do a little 'swabbing']
It's just probably buried somewhere in the 8000 posts
boomer
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:37 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,086 Posts
Quote:

...I'm finding a problem getting Clear Packing tape to stick with any lasting authority on the underside/raw foam of the wing. I've seen reference to spraying a 3M 77?, ...but more importantly I already have some DURO All-Purpose Spray Adhesive. It works/applies a lot like 'contact cement'. It specifies, and gives instructions how to use on foam. I'm assuming it would be a good thing to spray a light coat prior to taping. Anyone do anything to prepare the 'raw' foam on the wing bottom and can tell me product/results?
bubba

Bubba:

FWIW

I had very poor luck with the new formulation of the 3M 77 spray when doing a EPP Unicorn wing, even after cleaning and sanding the raw foam – the colored packing tape did not stick very well.

When working on a Wedgie I tried some Elmer’s Spray Adhesive that my wife had been using for a craft project and it worked great, so 3M is not 'required'. I talked my wife into a trade since the 3M seemed to work fine for what she was doing with fabric.

FoamCrusher
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:28 AM
Slow Tiger Stick Moth
Austin, Texas
Joined Oct 2003
178 Posts
i know i've seen a pic of someone's bipe SS and i was wondering what all is involved in this mod and how others have gone about it?

i dont plan on doing it right now but in the near future i would like to try it

thanks
Willie Levi is offline Find More Posts by Willie Levi
Old Nov 20, 2003, 03:14 AM
Bossier City, La.
Joined Jun 2003
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Willie Levi
i know i've seen a pic of someone's bipe SS and i was wondering what all is involved in this mod and how others have gone about it?

i dont plan on doing it right now but in the near future i would like to try it

thanks
Hang on, ...Boomer's typing it all up, it will take a while.

Got that 'high-class' Triton Charger figured out? Good! When are you bringing in the Li-poly's? You can be a Li-poly 'snob' like DaveWCO!
bubba
Old Nov 20, 2003, 11:36 AM
Slow Tiger Stick Moth
Austin, Texas
Joined Oct 2003
178 Posts
Quote:
Hang on, ...Boomer's typing it all up, it will take a while.

Got that 'high-class' Triton Charger figured out? Good! When are you bringing in the Li-poly's? You can be a Li-poly 'snob' like DaveWCO!
bubba
i would love to have some. BUT first comes first! i need a job i've been unemployed since August 15th and JUST ran out of money

Willie Levi is offline Find More Posts by Willie Levi
Old Nov 20, 2003, 11:54 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Willie as to the SS bipe... I inserted a piece of wood epoxied in where the wing supports fastened on and CAed and bolted on the plywood wing supports. See the thread at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...Slow+Stick+ipe and at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...Slow+Stick+ipe
boomer
Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:23 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Hello guys!
I'm just checking in - I'm leaving tomarro and I'll be back next weekend. OMG - I expect ~150 emails, junk not included from every single thread I've ever been subscribed to, and a million from another groups
Good luck with everything!
-Michael
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
Last edited by aeropenguin; Nov 20, 2003 at 09:35 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 06:11 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Have fun aeropenguin...

I personally like coming home from a PC-less trip and finding I have tons of email... Makes me feel secure, lol.

I put the probond to the test with the new SS wing. This time I got caught, so wife knows I have 2. Original SS decals on one and pre '42 American decals on the other.. .Whoops. It came out real nice. And if it's possible, sturdier than the other wing since the probond isn't quite as rigid as epoxy. I super-glued the FG rods into the "new" brass tubing, then I used transparent tape 1/2 inch wide to essentially "tack" the FG reinforcement rods to the LE of the wing in the center and at the tips. I then ran a THIN bead of probond followed by water(personal preference) and trimmed it when dry with of all things, a ginsu knife- perfect for trimming dry probond. Then I used red duct tape on the LE for abrasion resistance and to clean it up. I've had good luck with the duct tape, though grey is WAY ugly. It came out really clean this way and I may go ahead and glue the TE the same way. Before I only taped on the TE reinforcement. I haven't had any allergic or adverse reactions to probond, however it still has diicyanates in it so I am wary. CA and epoxy both have given me problems. I came across this stuff by liquid nails called "perfect glue". It's numbered 1 through 3 by application and 1 is for foam. I thought it was a good alternative as liquid nails construction adhesive never gave me any problems, but I looked at the ingredients! WOW! Looks like the most toxic combo yet, lol. May work for someone, it was in the same section as probond at walmart.

Bill
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
Old Nov 21, 2003, 02:52 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
i know how you feel nd - i am trying now to get rid of an extra SS i bought as a backup - now it just sits in storage waiting. i also cant wait for my nexdt pc-less, cell phone-less, pager-less, no-voicemail, actually going to the airport for fun trip

i did have some fun today though with the winds picking up. i was practicing heading into the wind without any power and just sitting there waiting for the stall when my battery finally died - which was a good thing - because i was able to hover it in for a vertical landing (ok -it maybe moved forward a foot - but close enough)
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
Old Nov 21, 2003, 03:53 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Why don't you sell it here in the for sale section??? I know why... you secretly want to build a BIPLANE!!! LoL
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
Old Nov 21, 2003, 04:47 PM
Foam Addict
Boston 'ish MA
Joined Aug 2003
714 Posts
HELP!!! I got HS-55's and the servo brackets fit them, but the screws provided were too big. How can i get my servo's to fit? Also i lost the screws from the set(cat ate them) so what can i do in terms of getting new ones.
Starfox9 is offline Find More Posts by Starfox9
Closed Thread