SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 10, 2003, 07:10 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Neat thing about the SS I've noticed is that it's an awesome test bed for experimenting. It'll take extra weight well too, just look at all the folks who fly cameras on them. If you're eager to get started and the weather cooperates, try the stock LG, you can upgrade later. I swiped my upgraded wheels for another project and went back to stock LG and stock wheels. Nothing holding them together either, and it's pretty good now that I'm used to how the SS lands. You may have to bend it back sometimes though. Your idea, if I'm picturing it right sounds pretty good... Watch your CG and make sure you adjust it when you add the gear though...

Starfox! Isn't that just the luck!?! AllERC.com has some ICS300's at 17.95 and GS400's for 26.95. I have made several purchases through them and am very pleased.

Bill
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2003, 09:23 PM
Foam Addict
Boston 'ish MA
Joined Aug 2003
714 Posts
Ah ok...ill get that one. Thanks!
Starfox9 is offline Find More Posts by Starfox9
Old Dec 10, 2003, 10:20 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2003
377 Posts
thx1138

If you don't mind soldering and changing the connectors, Aeromicro has a special on the ICS 480 ESC, it goes for $16.95.

Here's the link:
http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/gws...sc_2870439.htm

Lini
lini is offline Find More Posts by lini
Old Dec 10, 2003, 10:52 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Hello guys!
I think I deleted my email that says somebody responded and never looked . Anyway...
bubbadice, sorry for the fuse! As boomer said, you could either cut off the weak part, but I wouldn't reinforce it - especially since you've got a fresh one right at your fingertips now anyway... stronger, easier, faster...free...
thx1138, welcome from me, too I don't know, but contrary to what I have always been saying, perhaps just using the screws and plastic tabs, w/o the epoxy would be better. That way if something happens, you can take them off or something, I dunno. I needed to rip the whole vertical stabilizer off to replace it with a new home-made one, but the epoxy just made it a longer proccess. Also, it shouldn't be adding too much strength - if you highly reinforce one spot, then make it end abrupty, the spot next to it becomes much more prone to damage than it was before...and a bridge is only as strong as it's weakest link... Actually, that might not be too much the case here, but whatever
-Michael
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
Old Dec 10, 2003, 11:22 PM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Central North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
839 Posts
Welcome back mr. penguin

Were your email in boxes stuffed?

by the way, thx1138... aeropenguin is the one who got the idea to consolidate the SS info into one thread(now 2). It's a long read, but full of good stuff.

My new question: The white wheels with the black strip, or tire around them? Anyone have those to compare with the original all black ones? Are they stronger, or just look different?

Bill
ndflicks is offline Find More Posts by ndflicks
Old Dec 11, 2003, 12:02 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2003
377 Posts
I just got the ICS-480 ESC from Aeromicro, it's about half the size of the ICS-400. The connectors for the motor side is for the GWS 400 motor, that works perfect for me since I use the 400 "F" gearbox on my SS, unlike the ICS400, there's no built in LED. The other difference is ICS-400 uses the silicone wires on the motor and battery but the ICS-480 is not. Lini
lini is offline Find More Posts by lini
Old Dec 11, 2003, 05:20 PM
Jacksonville, fl.
Joined Dec 2003
15 Posts
aeropenguin,
Thanks for the welcome and post about not using epoxy between the stab, fin and fuse. Thinking abut it as you wrote it makes sense. I will adjust my build accordingly.
thx1138 is offline Find More Posts by thx1138
Old Dec 11, 2003, 05:52 PM
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
thx and ndflicks, thanks for the compliments. Maybe sometime in the next year the real guide will be done
-Michael
Old Dec 12, 2003, 02:31 PM
Registered Disabuser
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
Should i use seven or eight cell KANS with my EPS350C? 9x7 prop, everything else purdy much stock. thanx
Wertygrog is offline Find More Posts by Wertygrog
Old Dec 12, 2003, 03:14 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wertygrog
Should i use seven or eight cell KANS with my EPS350C? 9x7 prop, everything else purdy much stock. thanx
If you have the 350C-D box (Should have a "D" stamped on the front of the large gear) use 8 cell KANs.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Dec 12, 2003, 03:38 PM
Registered Disabuser
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
Yeah, it does, thanx
Wertygrog is offline Find More Posts by Wertygrog
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:22 AM
Joined Jan 2003
10 Posts
motor recommendation?

Hi all,
I'm just getting my first SS assembled.
Thanks for the wealth of info you all have posted here!
Although I intend to use the stock motor/GB initially, I'd appreciate a recommendation for a prop/motor/batt combo using a Model Motors AXI motor, direct drive. I want a direct drive, so my plane is as quiet as possible.
I like lascelles combo here- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...01#post1259101
using the PJS 800E, and want something comparable.
I will be hauling a camera up with this ship, eventually, so thrust(torque?) is more important to me than speed.
TIA,
Ercoupe

ps. I'd also be interested if there's a battery that will work with both the stock motor/GB and the recommended AXI motor, so I can continue to use it when I change over.

Hmm, just realized I can't use the same esc with the stock setup and thebrushless AXI motor. This makes converting a more expensive proposition. I'd still appreciate suggestions, though! I'd also consider using a speed 400 direct, but it doesn't look like that will give me enough thrust.
ercoupe is offline Find More Posts by ercoupe
Last edited by ercoupe; Dec 14, 2003 at 11:04 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 12:25 PM
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
ercoupe, I have no experience in any brushless motors, besides a converted CD-ROM motor that I never really finished.
Why can't you contact lascelles about his combo, and if you like his results, use that?

Probably an 8-cell KAN would work for both - that battery is extraordinarily versatile Or a 2s or 2s2p pack of E-Tec 1200mAh lipos. That thing works everywhere, too. Everything from a little gws tigermoth to my rascal (yeah, I eventually got it, and maybe someday I'll get the battery it really wants - the 2s2p).

On the slightly more practical side, I think I'd like to tell you that when I was just starting out, I wanted a plane that folks who knew what they were doing told me I couldn't have as a first plane - the SIG Rascal. I thought this plane is perfect for everything, and assuming it was all that easy, and the plane could do everything, I wanted to put a BL mega 16/15 on it, giving it the ability to go vertical, put an aiptek camara on it so I could do AP, floats for water flying, a servo-operated towhook glider release mechanism, etc. All on my first plane that only had three channels.
You think I ever did that? Nope - in fact I still don't have a plane that takes off water, or one that can go vertical, and neither do I own a BL motor.
That might be just me, but the moral is that if the SS is your first plane (if it isn't, then please excuse what I said, aimed at a first-timer), then you might not want to buy a BL and a camara for AP later on. So, just buy the SS, fly it more or less stock (using the mods given in these two threads, and see what happens from there.
Unless, that is, the one and only reason you got yourself into this never-ending money pit is so that you can persue your dreams with aerial photography.

Thanks!
-Michael
Old Dec 14, 2003, 02:22 PM
Jacksonville, fl.
Joined Dec 2003
15 Posts
wing leading edge

This is my 1st SS and have more questions. I have read all items in thread #1 and #2. I have read many items on how to attach both stock and CF rods to the leading edge. I have examined the wings in the kit I got and there is a small 'lip' on the leading edge that tapers to the outside of the wing. Is this 'lip' where the support rod is glued... on the top-side?
Old Dec 14, 2003, 02:44 PM
Jacksonville, fl.
Joined Dec 2003
15 Posts
reporting back on epoxy

fyi,
I did test WEST SYSTEMS epoxy on the foam from the SS kit. I mixed standard amounts of resin and hardener and applied to foam strips then applied slight pressure and left stand. After 24 hours I see no foam melting or deformation. Attempts to seperate the strips only possible with the foam coming apart... the seperation is not at the epoxy but within the foam material. The 'pot life' of the epoxy is a full 30 minutes and working time much longer. Full strength is several days. It is best to get the product technical doc and read it. BTW... I have no vested interest in West Systems.
Closed Thread