STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Re: nitro

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclenut44
mo
I see from your pics that you still have the crummy stock tires on.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Man, cyclenut44, just when I think there isn't a whole lot that can be done with these bikes, someone comes along and blows my mind. That is one cool bike!!

I guess there's just not a whole lot that -I- can do with these bikes. I'd love to be able to do what you have done. It would take my little hobby to a whole new level.

2 questions, please:

1. Will you sell me a pair of those rearset footpegs?
2. I can see kind of what you have done to the front forks. Are there any internal modifications? Do they work better? Will you also sell me the little screw on front axle holders you seem to have made and whatever other parts I'll need to do that to my forks when you post how you did it?

Again, Great bike!!

STeve B in NC
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2003, 07:15 AM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,135 Posts
CYCLENUT 44

That looks like an excellent piece of design and engineering. I like all the mods you have done (including the simple but brilliant idea of a dremel to start) and am interested to know what it handles like on the track. I presume you are fitting a front brake and soft treaded tyres before first rides!!

John
nuovaic is offline Find More Posts by nuovaic
Old Dec 03, 2003, 10:38 AM
San Diego (poway) CA
Joined Sep 2003
119 Posts
If every thing works as planned, I will be making a bunch for my club. I might as well make a few more. Thanks for the compliments. As for tires.....Just waitng for some spare cash to drop from my money tree. HA!!..... The shocks are very good. I am working on a dual disk brake setup that goes with the fork conversion. I will be selling the system in the near future. The foot pegs can be turned on a drill press if that is all you have.
cyclenut44 is offline Find More Posts by cyclenut44
Old Dec 03, 2003, 11:31 AM
San Diego (poway) CA
Joined Sep 2003
119 Posts
upside down fork conversion

The front forks on the stock bike can easily be converted to up side down. Take the forks apart. remove the white slider from the threads and flip the threads around so they face the ground. Next, find a 4mm allen head bolt that is at least 12mm long. This slides thru the hole in the white slider. Be sure to keep the end with the spring collar pointing into the tube. This will insure the spring stays around the slider. Now take a rubber dremel sanding drum and chuck it up in a drill press lath or electric drill. You can use anything you want really. I way using this rubber so I could add oil to theshock. It acts as a plunger behind the slider. Take some sand paper or a bastard file to the drum as it turns. Keep the tube handy to trial fit as you remove material. Remember that this is rubber and that it expands as you tighten the screw holding the drum on the mandral. You will need to loosen this screw after each cut so you can find the proper fit in the tube. The rubber drum should be smooth and concentric (round), and a bit smaller than a perfect fit. This is because the 4 mm screw will be tighted to adjust the compression on the rubber. It expands to create the seal. This is now cut into two 4mm long sections. slip one onder the white slider. and the screw the 4mm allen head into the threads. Find the perfect fit in the tube by sliding the assembly in and out while rotating. As soon as you are satisfied ( no binding). Use teflon lubricating oil only a few drops. next use a dremel cut off wheel or similar to cut 4 slots in the top edge of the white slider. Not the lower ones. This is now a piston like in the car shocks. I am starting with 4 but may try as many as 8 at some point. Now cut 3 coils out of the springs. The long one goes into the tube and the short one goes between the rubber and the inside of the cap. now slide the cap over the shaft fill the shock tube with 60 wieght oil( I don,t know if this is the best yet).
Slide the assembly in sloooowly.....I also forgot to tell you that you need to put lock tight on the threads of the 4mm allen head. This will hold it in place one you find the ideal fit. You can also put a drop of blue thread lock tight on the outer threads on th shock body. These seem to work themselves loose. Getting rid of all the air bubbles is near impossible. Next take your triple clamps off the bike and hold them very securly in a vise while you drill them out to match the shock tubes. I believe this is .470 thds diameter. The fit is a force fit. This means that the tubes will be fitting tightly into the clamps. I had to use oil to get mine to go in. Don,t worry if you can,t get a drill bit that will make this happen. Simply use shrink tubing in layers if necessary to get the fit you want. you could also drill and tap a hole on the side to acomodate a set screw. I did this as well. Now make your axle holders. I also drilled and tapped some threads into the top surface of the shock body so I could fasten some fake caps. I cut a used fuel filter housing and fashioned caps from the knurled ends. I used a washer under the cap and a button head allen cap to secure it.

Ride on ..
cyclenut44 is offline Find More Posts by cyclenut44
Old Dec 03, 2003, 02:29 PM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,135 Posts
sounds great. I have 2 questions though;

1) how much play do you now have if you pull fork legs front to back?
2) how can I strengthen the triple clamps? I think if I drilled out my ali ones there wouldn't be much left to hold the tubes, one crash and I'd need new ones!

keep modding!

John
nuovaic is offline Find More Posts by nuovaic
Old Dec 03, 2003, 06:41 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,520 Posts
Super good work cyclenut44 AND:

PROUD TO HAVE YOU AS A MEMEBER OF RCMCC!!
Kev71H is online now Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Dec 03, 2003, 09:48 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Re: upside down fork conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclenut44
[B]The front forks on the stock bike can easily be converted to up side down.

<<<MAJOR SNIP>>>

Now make your axle holders.
[B]
cyclenutt44,

first, thanks for taking the time to post all of the info on your fork conversion!

I was right with you up to the point of making the axle holders.

Now, if these were something that I could make by hand out of paper clips or play dough or something, I'd be home free. But your's look like something that you fashioned from solild metal (?) which required a lathe (?) or forming, and/or drilling and tapping a block of aluminum?

How do I make these axle holders?

thanks!!!!

STeve B in NC
Old Dec 04, 2003, 09:52 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
89 Posts
My turn... G.I Joe style...
rodneyonline is offline Find More Posts by rodneyonline
Old Dec 04, 2003, 10:14 PM
Canada, ON, Acton
Joined Oct 2003
2,124 Posts
I am down with the GI Joe idea, Is he lighter than the original rider?? I was thinking of maybe suiting up a Barbie for the hell of it.
Seriously.
BACKEMFNRG is offline Find More Posts by BACKEMFNRG
Old Dec 04, 2003, 10:19 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rodneyonline
My turn... G.I Joe style...
a teeny squid!
Old Dec 04, 2003, 10:20 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
89 Posts
Yeah, G.I Joe is lighter, but to be honest, it was for show. I never thought of actually using him! You can use Barbie, as long as she's naked!
Old Dec 04, 2003, 10:23 PM
Canada, ON, Acton
Joined Oct 2003
2,124 Posts
NAKED!!! HELL NO I WILL GIVE HER A HELMET, GLOVES, AND A PAIR OF GOGO BOOTIES. LOL
Old Dec 04, 2003, 10:29 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ray schrauwen
I am down with the GI Joe idea, Is he lighter than the original rider?? I was thinking of maybe suiting up a Barbie for the hell of it.
Seriously.
Just put Barbie on the back. In a mini-skirt. Who says the little rider dude always has to be racing. He's allowed to have a babe on back once in a while, too!

Maybe you could try to make a twisted balloon rider figure, Ray! Filled with helium. Talk about light!!!

I sure do amuse myself sometimes

STeve B in NC
Old Dec 04, 2003, 10:30 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
89 Posts
Quote:
[i]
Maybe you could try to make a twisted balloon rider figure, Ray! Filled with helium. Talk about light!!!

STeve B in NC [/B]
Boy, talk about riding high...
Old Dec 04, 2003, 10:32 PM
Canada, ON, Acton
Joined Oct 2003
2,124 Posts
I saw a Barbie on sale for 10 bucks, maybe I can pick her up she sounds pretty cheap. LOL
But not easy.
Badump ba!