HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:39 AM
United States, WI, Menomonee Falls
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Discussion
Hot Air Balloon Festival from a Multi-Rotor

Video shot yesterday morning at the Waterford, WI Balloon Festival. It was fun to fly among the giants.

Waterford Wisconsin Hot Air Balloon Festival - July 22, 2012 (1 min 58 sec)
jdwphotos.com is offline Find More Posts by jdwphotos.com
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:39 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Very neat.
It always amazes me that people will allow a Multicopter fly around them like that. You flew safely don't get me wrong, but I would not trust anyone flying that around me. Especially if I was in the air in something as fragile as a hot air balloon.
Good job.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined May 2010
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Very neat.
It always amazes me that people will allow a Multicopter fly around them like that. You flew safely don't get me wrong, but I would not trust anyone flying that around me. Especially if I was in the air in something as fragile as a hot air balloon.
Good job.
+1! How do you go about getting permission to do that? Besides the organizers, if asked, I would think the FAA would say NO WAY. I had a propeller from a parkzone corsair rip the fabric of my couch. It would shred the nylon of a hot air envelope.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:34 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
Well, even if one balloon was to be punched, it wouldn't have fallen out of the sky in a manner to put people's lives in danger.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined May 2010
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen09 View Post
Well, even if one balloon was to be punched, it wouldn't have fallen out of the sky in a manner to put people's lives in danger.
No BUT:
1) Ever see the price for a new envelope? Not that it may *NEED* one, but it will need to be repaired, and the owner compensated for diminished value. They are a time limited component, so harm a newer one and hold onto your wallet. And your lawyer.

2) Every time the balloon owner see's the patch, he will be reminded of the 'copter.

3) The FAA WOULD get involved, and put another spike in the already tenuous relationship between the model crowd and full-scale.

4) Mixing full-scale and models is rarely, if ever, a good idea.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, WI, Menomonee Falls
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Safety is defiantly always a focus for me. Good points from everyone.
jdwphotos.com is offline Find More Posts by jdwphotos.com
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:30 PM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,685 Posts
Great video
Well done

Cool colors and point of view
Guy
guyg is offline Find More Posts by guyg
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:42 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,224 Posts
Cool video, thanks for sharing Glad the organisers allowed you to fly there to take the footage!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:18 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
I am one of the first to raise safety concerns when I see videos of people flying over people who have no idea what is going on and definitely have not been told about the risks...

but seriously guys... if he got permission from the people involved to fly and film then all is good...

he did not say anything about commercial use of the video ( i know, i know)

we need to stop harassing our own with regards to the "that looks dangerous, what happened if the FAA got involved"

I didnt see but 1 shot that looked like he was directly over someone.... and he was definitely clear of the balloons.

that was a great video and I know what it must feel like to post something that you took time and effort to do in a safe way only for people to criticize you because they could not have pulled off the shoot.

I did not see you flying over a sea of people running a race, I didnt see you flying over little children, I didnt see you getting closer than you needed to in order to get a good shot.

I saw a smooth, well flown, clean, cool and fun video!

keep it up.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
I am selling ROC hot air balloons if u want one email me at sannesmasksstore@yahoo.com
jonfnc is offline Find More Posts by jonfnc
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
The Ottoman Flyer
USA, TX, Galveston
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
That is steller footage you got. Out of curiosity, what camera did you use ?
Ottomite is offline Find More Posts by Ottomite