HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:40 AM
Medan , Indonesia
Joined Jul 2009
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircontrol View Post
Had a nice break in the weather yesterday, so I took the Mako out for a spin!

https://vimeo.com/60521516
Wow...nice video aircontrol...the Mako Drifting....
atari7up is offline Find More Posts by atari7up
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:34 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircontrol View Post
Had a nice break in the weather yesterday, so I took the Mako out for a spin!
Awesome! Pushing the limits and resetting the goalposts again. Giving the cameracrew a hard time. Clever camerawork too! Thanks for sharing.
ak68 is offline Find More Posts by ak68
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:13 PM
United Kingdom, England, St. Ives
Joined May 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Use glass. They give a nice white color to the epoxy and prevent yellowing.
Thanks....glass it is.
focae is offline Find More Posts by focae
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:17 PM
Joined May 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud View Post
Focae!

I've had good results with Spackle. First rub it on to the cut or sanded areas with a thumb. Then, when its dry, sand it and mix some with WBPU and paint it on over the whole plane. You can mix acrylic paint at that point too. If you need extra strength then glass cloth is good.

I haven't tried micro balloons. Should I give it a go?

I've used 'Spackle' (isn't that a quaint colonial term) for filling dings etc. but microballoons is used to bulk out epoxy resin making it lighter and probably more importantly, easier to sand if necessary.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:21 PM
Joined May 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Thanks for sharing an interesting video.

Just a suggestion. Reduce your aileron throw and/or add expo to smooth out the roll response.
You were absolutely right.and what a numpty am I? I thought I had set up my tx with expo but when I checked all channels were set to Linear. Expo is definitely the order of the day now....flies much more smoothly. Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:59 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by focae View Post
You were absolutely right.and what a numpty am I? I thought I had set up my tx with expo but when I checked all channels were set to Linear. Expo is definitely the order of the day now....flies much more smoothly. Thanks for the help.
Glad you discovered the pleasures of modest control throws. It all depends what you want to do. For smooth flying, relatively small throws work well. For extreme flying, big throws are fun and can be tamed with lots of expo. Just don't forget to change rates! On many of my models I use a triple rate setup with mild, lively and wild settings all worked by a single switch.

I'm a great Polaris fan and am very much looking forward to flying the Mako.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:09 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,388 Posts
I hate you guys. Someone come finish my Mako while I'm at work all day & night.
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:42 PM
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
I have had 4 runs on the snow and can not get it on it's nose, I rechecked the low and high rates and found I can only get 1" on high rate for the Elevator. I have DX8 using 5g servos and can get high travel everywhere else so I pulled the servo and set a new one and set the servo arm one notch forward and got the 1.25 travel however I only have .750" the other direction.
What am I doing wrong?
Thx'S
Eldorado4
eldorado4 is offline Find More Posts by eldorado4
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:56 AM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldorado4 View Post
I have had 4 runs on the snow and can not get it on it's nose, I rechecked the low and high rates and found I can only get 1" on high rate for the Elevator. I have DX8 using 5g servos and can get high travel everywhere else so I pulled the servo and set a new one and set the servo arm one notch forward and got the 1.25 travel however I only have .750" the other direction.
What am I doing wrong?
Thx'S
Eldorado4
Make sure your using the farthest hole at the end of the servo arm. and the center hole on the elevator horn. You may still have problems getting it to hand stand on the snow if its hard and slippery.

John.
aircontrol is offline Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:13 PM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
371 Posts
Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
Thx'S
Eldorado4
You can also add more travel by programing your DX8. go into servo setup and adjust the servo travel up to 140%.

John.
aircontrol is offline Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:25 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,127 Posts
Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
Thx'S
Eldorado4
Are you sure the hinge on the elevator will allow that much throw. It's very common with the beveled arrangement for throw to be restricted in the down direction.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:18 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,215 Posts
Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
Thx'S
Eldorado4
Hi Eldorado4,

aircontrol is correct that by going into your programming you can increase the servo travel. You should also be able to adjust it to go more in one direction than the other so you can add more "down" elevator without needing to add additional up. It helps also with nose stands if the snow is a little wetter or stickier.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:44 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,388 Posts
You *could* also do a elevator to flaperons mix on a switch. Double elevators! I tried this with my EF 48" Extra for extreme walls.
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:01 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
You *could* also do a elevator to flaperons mix on a switch. Double elevators! I tried this with my EF 48" Extra for extreme walls.
That can make a big difference in the air with a delta but I doubt it would help with the handstands on the ground. The lever arm of the ailerons acting as elevons (not flaperons, which go the opposite way) is much less than that of the elevator. Even more important, the elevator is in the propwash, while the ailerons/elevons are not. So no action when not moving fast.

A setup using coupled elevons and elevator (both moving in the same direction) works well on Polaris and should also work on Mako to enhance pitch control in the air. In both cases you have a delta wing with the trailing edge well behind the CG.

The setup on an Extra is quite different, as the control surfaces on the normal wing are quite close to the CG. Hence the result of flaperons (which go down when the elevator goes up) is to increase camber and thus lift. This setup was widely used on control line stunt models and allowed "square" corners to maneuvers.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:55 AM
Medan , Indonesia
Joined Jul 2009
183 Posts
Mako V ready for maiden

atari7up is offline Find More Posts by atari7up