HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:05 AM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari7up View Post
After waiting for the motor , esc,servo arrived ....just finish my Mako today....with the 3 cells 2200 mah 35c the AUW is 22,9 oz , i seal the float using glass fiber cloth and finish cure epoxy , that make it waterproof and hard for rogging ......are that ok for the weight?
Will Maiden at this Sunday.....

Should fly OK ... a little on the heavy side. The fiberglass on the bottom is not necessary for water proofing. The lighter the plane the softer the landing. This plane will virtually land itself if it is built light ... I have seen pilots trim up the elevator and throttle down then set the transmitter on the ground and walk away.

GM
WMParkFlyer is online now Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:45 AM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari7up View Post
After waiting for the motor , esc,servo arrived ....just finish my Mako today....with the 3 cells 2200 mah 35c the AUW is 22,9 oz , i seal the float using glass fiber cloth and finish cure epoxy , that make it waterproof and hard for rogging ......are that ok for the weight?
Will Maiden at this Sunday.....
*Happy Thanks giving to all our American friends
AWESOME Mako! Atari7up.
Hope you can share a video of that thing with us. Your weight is a little on the heavy side but should still fly good with unlimited vertical climb.

John.
aircontrol is online now Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:50 AM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC4123 View Post
We should have a speed contest with a mako and see how fast we can get one going =)
My 42" mako,(which I should be building soon if Greg finds time to cut the foam) will have a 1300kv motor on 4s with a 8x6 prop. It should reach speeds of 80+ mph.

John.
aircontrol is online now Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:55 AM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,698 Posts
Mini Mako Plans are up They are not quite as professional as the ones that Ken did for me but I am learning ...

See Post #3

And Merry early Christmas !!!

GM
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,499 Posts
The plans look great. I can see a mini Mako in my future. Thank you for the plans.

Tom
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, NM, Corrales
Joined Jun 2007
50 Posts
Thought I would share another way to connect the rudders. I like to use 1.8 mm Carbon fiber tube for my control rods. A .032", .036", or .040" wire can be glued in the end of the tube without the bulky wire wrap. I score the wire that will be in the tube with a Dremel cutting disk for better retention and cement it with epoxy.

For our rudder connections we used micro Dubro ball connectors. I cemented one of the ball connectors in the tube on one side and let it dry. I then hooked the other ball connector to the rudder and glued it in the tube so I could align the rudders before the glue dried and not have to make any adjustments later. Turned out fine and was easy to do.

My friend made these cloths pin things to hold the control surfaces parallel while you are working. They work great.

Just thought I would share.

Rick
jrsflyer is offline Find More Posts by jrsflyer
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:33 PM
United States, NM, Corrales
Joined Jun 2007
50 Posts
All the pictures would not fit in one blog.

Here is a close up of the ball connector end.

The tube is available from RC Foam.

rick
jrsflyer is offline Find More Posts by jrsflyer
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:01 PM
Medan , Indonesia
Joined Jul 2009
183 Posts
@ GM & Jhon ,
Thanks for Reply....i will try to get the video at maiden and share it here...hope the weather in this sunday is good...

Atari,
atari7up is offline Find More Posts by atari7up
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Nov 2010
14 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the top speed is for the Mako?
boof69 is offline Find More Posts by boof69
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Wow, Boof, I just asked the same question!!
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Nov 2010
14 Posts
I was trying to help. Greg is online here.
boof69 is offline Find More Posts by boof69
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:45 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boof69 View Post
Can anyone tell me what the top speed is for the Mako?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Wow, Boof, I just asked the same question!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boof69 View Post
I was trying to help. Greg is online here.
I just bought a new motor from Microdan I have yet to put it on a Mako ... I will be soon. The old one still needs some more repair. At some point we will reach terminal velocity and come apart. I am not sure what the aerodynamics will be like at the higher speeds but my RPM will be 23,700 at 39 oz. of thrust ... its gona be fast ... at least for a minute.

We might have to set up a couple flagmen at the field and have someone run the stop watch to see how fast the stock motor setup will push the Mako. then compare it to my new motor.

motor link: http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ef=MD2505-2900

Greg M
WMParkFlyers.com
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,499 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that motor will be a screamer on a Mako. I have a 2212/6 on mine and its pretty fast. The same motor as on the Polaris.

Tom
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:36 AM
Medan , Indonesia
Joined Jul 2009
183 Posts
Maiden my mako today...it's nice and awsome plane...the CG as perplan....the best thing from mako is the glide...realy glide nice.
like WMparkflyer & Aircontrol said weight is a little on the heavy side but should still fly good with unlimited vertical climb...a lot off fun...like so much this bird...can't wait for next week will try the performance at water spot...
Here the Maiden video that i take used HD Wing Camera...sorry if the poor quality video and can't zoom it..hope you enjoy..

Mako Seaplane (West Michigan Park Flyers New Mako Sea Plane).avi (4 min 39 sec)
atari7up is offline Find More Posts by atari7up
Last edited by atari7up; Nov 25, 2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:16 AM
Australia, VIC, Mulgrave
Joined Feb 2012
29 Posts
Good weather down under

Sharing another photo of the Mako, getting wet this time. The nice shot of the taxi back after a flight, was taken by flying buddy Aus, early one morning.
Enjoying getting to know the aircraft, however not yet feeling 100% comfortable with some of the Mako tricks. High speed on water will generate skipping, cured by reducing throttle, and holding a touch of up. The twin hulls seem to have a fair bit of drag, and quickly wash off speed, especially at landing. Probably just normal behavior to adapt to. Already flipped once, (attempting a crosswind take-off). No damage, just an ESC that didn't work again till dried out. Really like the glide also, and amazed at the verticals with a fresh 45c, 1650mah battery pack. Still haven't done much high alpha at lower level, need to practice slow speed handling first.
This airplane can be a demon or a clown, either way it generates smiles.
mikejo_au is offline Find More Posts by mikejo_au