HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:59 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
After flying the Mini indoors I am not going to be recommending the 3 cell setup. 2 cell 610 and this motor is what I recommend
C2403 Brushless Outrunner 2100kv. No stick mount, just the pancake motor Mounted to the light ply firewall. Plenty of power to spare.
The mini sounds good and I was thinking of ordering one. Can I get a pre-painted one yet? Thanks..
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:34 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
The mini sounds good and I was thinking of ordering one. Can I get a pre-painted one yet? Thanks..

Yes the templates are done. I just need to post some pictures of the paint. What colors would you like and I will post yours here.

This is what they will look like ... checkers on the wing tips, lightning bolt on both tails and on wing, Logo on the bottom.

WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:05 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,018 Posts
The furniture polish has worked well as a slip agent for the taped up bottom of the floats...friction/drag is much reduced.. lower than untaped depron and vastly lower than the untreated taped surfaces...

Now I am looking at water proofing sprays. I am trying to find a lower cost alternative to the corrosionX ..
reading up, silicone sprays are looking a good possibility, and a better bet than wd40....has anyone tried any
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:33 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
Yes the templates are done. I just need to post some pictures of the paint. What colors would you like and I will post yours here.

This is what they will look like ... checkers on the wing tips, lightning bolt on both tails and on wing, Logo on the bottom.

Ok great. Red w/ black checkers? Will you be adding the painted version to the website?
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:48 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,617 Posts
Couple things:

1- Was really kind of touched when I received a "hope you are surviving well" email from WMParkflyers over the course of Hurricane Sandy.

2- If printing the full size sheet, what size should it come out to? I have plotters here at work and may fiddle with a Mako over Thanksgiving or even over the winter.

3- I'm contemplating building a dollar tree mini mako, but not sure how advisable it would be, and what would be the recommended method for scaling it down and adapting it.

4- I don't have access to an indoor flying area and my winter flying is mostly limited to small fields near my house, the largest I've flown there is a 32" leadfeather yak, otherwise it's stuff like UMX Beast or Spitfire. A Dollar Tree Mini Mako may be perfect for a field like that, I believe $T doesn't absorb water like EPP does right?
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:46 PM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
Couple things:

1- Was really kind of touched when I received a "hope you are surviving well" email from WMParkflyers over the course of Hurricane Sandy.

2- If printing the full size sheet, what size should it come out to? I have plotters here at work and may fiddle with a Mako over Thanksgiving or even over the winter.

3- I'm contemplating building a dollar tree mini mako, but not sure how advisable it would be, and what would be the recommended method for scaling it down and adapting it.

4- I don't have access to an indoor flying area and my winter flying is mostly limited to small fields near my house, the largest I've flown there is a 32" leadfeather yak, otherwise it's stuff like UMX Beast or Spitfire. A Dollar Tree Mini Mako may be perfect for a field like that, I believe $T doesn't absorb water like EPP does right?
A full size sheet will be about 61" X 31". When printing a full size sheet, the wing span should measure 32". There is also a 6" scale on the drawing.

The Mini Mako has a lot more changes than just a scaled down version of the original. Greg is working on Mini Mako plans, but is also busy with a million other things. ( I dont know when he finds time to sleep ).

Yes $T Mini would be light and not absorb water, but not near as forgiving as EPP.

John.
aircontrol is offline Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:05 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Ok great. Red w/ black checkers? Will you be adding the painted version to the website?

The purchase button is up for the painted Mini Mako ... same as before please specify color during the final checkout. This is just before the final pay now button.

Order UP
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:20 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,720 Posts
Happy Thanks Giving Everyone
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
+1 on that. Happy Holidays and be safe all.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, NM, Corrales
Joined Jun 2007
50 Posts
I just finished making 2 regular size Mako Sea Planes and was wondering if I did something wrong. The rudders are linked as instructed but they deflect differently. When activated to the right the left rudder moves 1.25 inches but the right one only moves 1 inch. When activated to the left, the right rudder moves 1.25 inches and the left one moves 1 inch. Is this because I beveled the hinges differently, i.e.., toward the midline of the plane on each side? The flush hinge line is on the outside of both rudders. The attachment for the cross bar is in the same place on both rudders, 1 inch from the hinge line.

If this is normal, I'm good with it but if it poses a problem any suggestions on how to fix it?

Rick
jrsflyer is offline Find More Posts by jrsflyer
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:28 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsflyer View Post
I just finished making 2 regular size Mako Sea Planes and was wondering if I did something wrong. The rudders are linked as instructed but they deflect differently. When activated to the right the left rudder moves 1.25 inches but the right one only moves 1 inch. When activated to the left, the right rudder moves 1.25 inches and the left one moves 1 inch. Is this because I beveled the hinges differently, i.e.., toward the midline of the plane on each side? The flush hinge line is on the outside of both rudders. The attachment for the cross bar is in the same place on both rudders, 1 inch from the hinge line.

If this is normal, I'm good with it but if it poses a problem any suggestions on how to fix it?

Rick
Jrsflyer, That is normal. We noticed that in the prototype designs and decided to leave it that way. I could have designed it out so they moved equal but since it didn't adversely effect the flight performance we decided to leave it alone.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Hmmm... I'll have to remember that when I do the physics for the Real Flight version.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, NM, Corrales
Joined Jun 2007
50 Posts
Greg

Thanks. My friend and I will maiden this weekend.

Rick
jrsflyer is offline Find More Posts by jrsflyer
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:40 AM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,121 Posts
We should have a speed contest with a mako and see how fast we can get one going =)
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:43 AM
Medan , Indonesia
Joined Jul 2009
183 Posts
After waiting for the motor , esc,servo arrived ....just finish my Mako today....with the 3 cells 2200 mah 35c the AUW is 22,9 oz , i seal the float using glass fiber cloth and finish cure epoxy , that make it waterproof and hard for rogging ......are that ok for the weight?
Will Maiden at this Sunday.....
*Happy Thanks giving to all our American friends
atari7up is offline Find More Posts by atari7up
Last edited by atari7up; Nov 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM.