Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Jul 2011
32 Posts
Thanks for more pics R/Cdawg!

Nice to have more build pics as I figure this thing out!
michigansnorkele is offline Find More Posts by michigansnorkele
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:39 AM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircontrol View Post
The plans look great!
Thanks for all your hard work Ken and Greg.
The cad work on my end pales in comparison to the year worth of development and revisions you did with poster board pencil and #11 x-acto.

Thanks for the GREAT design John ... I am sure this design will be bringing much pleasure to many of pilots for years to come.
WMParkFlyer is online now Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:03 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,428 Posts
Rcdawg
We're did you buy the power plant ?
Rich
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:54 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
Rcdawg
We're did you buy the power plant ?
Rich
I bought the motor from Greg at wmparkflyers.com. In fact I got everything but the esc, which I already had, from him.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:47 AM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
921 Posts
I just received the kit in the mail. It is a very nice kit. Can't wait to get to the build. Thanks Greg for a very complete kit.
Russ40 is offline Find More Posts by Russ40
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:28 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,791 Posts
Thanks for the plans guys...

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:46 AM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
I was able to get more done this weekend. In fact it's just about done with the exception of completing the hatch. I have posted a few more pictures below detailing and highlighting a few items.

Looks Great!!! I see your going back to deans? Not XT60 I can't wait to get home and fly mine!

Plans also look good!
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:47 AM
God is Good
Joined Jan 2011
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
The cad work on my end pales in comparison to the year worth of development and revisions you did with poster board pencil and #11 x-acto.

Thanks for the GREAT design John ... I am sure this design will be bringing much pleasure to many of pilots for years to come.

Plans are looking great!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:36 AM
God is Good
Joined Jan 2011
1,020 Posts
Hey everyone I just wanted to share some pictures of my two Mako's =)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:59 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,212 Posts
Getting Close

I had a long day at work yesterday and didn't get much time to work on the Mako but I was able to finish the hatch and my experimental latch. I just need to paint the canopy on, cut the cooling hole in the nose, and put the packing tape on the bottom of the floats.

If you buy the kit from wmparkflyers.com a rare earth magnet is included to hold the hatch on. While the magnet works great I wanted to try something a little different and came up with a twist latch using a couple spare HXT-900 servo arms. It's really pretty simple.

I hope to finish the Mako tonight and maybe sneak out for a test flight if the weather cooperates. I want to get it test flown before the weekend as I hope to fly it alot next week while on vacation at a cottage on Lake Michigan.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:12 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
I had a long day at work yesterday and didn't get much time to work on the Mako but I was able to finish the hatch and my experimental latch. I just need to paint the canopy on, cut the cooling hole in the nose, and put the packing tape on the bottom of the floats.

If you buy the kit from wmparkflyers.com a rare earth magnet is included to hold the hatch on. While the magnet works great I wanted to try something a little different and came up with a twist latch using a couple spare HXT-900 servo arms. It's really pretty simple.

I hope to finish the Mako tonight and maybe sneak out for a test flight if the weather cooperates. I want to get it test flown before the weekend as I hope to fly it alot next week while on vacation at a cottage on Lake Michigan.
Great Idea on the hatch latch ...I will be interested to see this close up and see how it holds up over time.

How did the test flights go?

I can't wait to see this on the big lake
WMParkFlyer is online now Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:01 AM
He Reigns
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
282 Posts
Looks great guys!! rcdawg, the hatch latch is a very nice touch. Need to get one of these soon
bdiesel3 is offline Find More Posts by bdiesel3
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:22 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,212 Posts
Maiden Complete

I was able to sneak away late last evening to our favorite float flying spot and put the maiden flight on the new Mako. It was about as uneventful as possible and the best part is the Mako flew fantastic.

It's unbelievable how easy it is to fly the Mako off water. Just add a little throttle and it tracks straight into the wind and then gently lifts off with just a breath of up elevator. I did a trim pass and it needed 2 clicks of down elevator (I might be just a hair tail heavy) and one click of left aileron to get it tracking like an arrow. Once trimmed I put the Mako through the ringer and it handled it with ease.

It amazes me how wide of a flight envelope the Mako has. At full throttle it tracks like a pattern plane and is easily capable of slow, 4-point, and 8-point rolls, all variety of figure 8's, stall turns, snap rolls, rolling circles and loops, and even knife edge flight. Plus when throttled back it will harrier around in high alpha flight like a 3d foamy. One of my favorite maneuvers is to fly tight, low level, high alpha figure 8's over the water dipping the bottoms of the rudders in the water at the center of each pass. Fun!

The pictures below show the cooling hole that I cut in the nose of the Mako. I have over 60 flights on Mako's with the cooling holes located here and I've maybe had half a dozen drops of water get in the fuselage and my first Mako ahd an even larger hole. What's nice about this is you don't need to add any heat sinks glued to the esc and sticking through the fuselage nor do you need to glue spoons or scoops to the fuselage.

If you order the kit from wmparkflyers.com it comes with some fiberglass tape to stick to the bottom of the floats to protect them. On my Mako I used 3m heavy duty packing tape which I iron down with a monokote/ultracote iron. the iron will remove any small wrinkles you might get in the tape and the heat really activates the adhesive on the tape. I've put 60+ flights on my original Mako and and haven't had any come loose and it does a great job protecting the bottom.

I plan to get more video very shortly and hopefully, if the weather cooperates, some footage of flying it off Lake Michigan. Stay tuned, same bat time same bat channel.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:23 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,212 Posts
[QUOTE=bdiesel3;22388631....... Need to get one of these soon[/QUOTE]

Yes you do.