HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:33 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
Hi Ive only just found this design, which appeals to my taste in models, and Ive not read through the thread,,
but has anyone made this with a KFm4 section and left out the CF spars... KF'ing the wing will make for a cheaper build and make a good strong wing..
And being a KF fanatic with winter snows coming. I have just put this at the top of my building list...KF'd of course..
Howdy Dave. Welcome to the addiction of Mako. Its a really fun plane. Not to mention just plain cool.
Tom
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
144 Posts
I followed Tomahawk's lead and built a KFm4. I am a newbie and it makes me look good when I fly it. Using a 2200KV, 3cell, 2200amp and a 7x6 prop.
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:53 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,712 Posts
2200 amp?
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:27 PM
Keep it simple, Keep it light!
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1 View Post
I followed Tomahawk's lead and built a KFm4. I am a newbie and it makes me look good when I fly it. Using a 2200KV, 3cell, 2200amp and a 7x6 prop.
What motor are you using? A 7x6 prop is too big for the average 50 gram 2200kv motor.

John.
aircontrol is offline Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:38 PM
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
344 Posts
Something to consider if you are having trouble with taxing, is the auw of your plane and your cg. Your plane will be harder to taxi and take off if your plane is nose heavy and is over 21oz.

John.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:32 PM
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
144 Posts
OOOPsss running a 2200Mah battery. I take it easy with the 7x6 prop until I get a 6x3. The 6x3 I was originally running had a nick in the blade and with the high KV I didn't think it should be used. I build heavy and with the KFM4 wing the weight is 29oz. It taxied and flew good with the 6x3.
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:30 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
Hi Ive only just found this design, which appeals to my taste in models, and Ive not read through the thread,,
but has anyone made this with a KFm4 section and left out the CF spars... KF'ing the wing will make for a cheaper build and make a good strong wing..
And being a KF fanatic with winter snows coming. I have just put this at the top of my building list...KF'd of course..
I guess that would be me. I posted my build in pictures. Posts #299 to #302
I left out the two front CF spars but kept the rear third one. I moved that rear CF tube under the wooden motor mount. Still there is a lot of CF tube and rod required. Do read the whole thread as there are some good ideas from other posters that I wish I had seen before I constructed mine. To save you searching for it, here is the video of my KFm4 MAKO flying off water and grass.

Chris

MAKO Water and Wind (4 min 33 sec)
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:57 PM
The world in foam & tissue
Rochester NY
Joined May 2010
600 Posts
Coast Guard Mako Update

After a couple of weeks on the road for business I finally have been able to get the time I needed to produce a Coast Guard Mako Decal Kit.
There are two parts to the kit. I produced part of the kit at home on my wife's vinyl cutter and had a few pieces printed and cut by a local shop. I was not going to apply the decals to this Mako but couldn't resist! Looks Like I'll be putting electronics in this one and flying this winter.
Rasterize is online now Find More Posts by Rasterize
Last edited by Rasterize; Nov 11, 2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Never post when your tired...
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:31 AM
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterize View Post
After a couple of weeks on the road for business I finally have been able to get the time I needed to produce a Coast Guard Mako Decal Kit.
There where two parts to the kit. I produced part of the kit at home on my wife's vinyl cutter and had a few pieces printed and cut by a local shop. I was not going to apply the decals to this Mako but couldn't resist! Looks Like I'll be putting electronics in this one and flying this winter.
Rasterize, those decals look awesome!!!!!! you do nice work.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:35 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,382 Posts
Great job buddy. That is amazing!
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:15 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,504 Posts
Work is progressing..plans were printed A4 tiled and joined...both span and length came out slightly wrong.. off by -1" on the span, similarly the length is down as well..so I must have got a wrong setting in the print box... not enough to worry about...but still my first mod was to widen both the wing and the fuzz by 20mm ..I wanted plenty of room in the fuzz and I wanted to get back some of the span ..
The fuzz decking and some of the other bits of course had to be widened to suit..
Next I drew most of the parts out onto the 2 depron sheets.. and by splitting the outer KF layers into sections I have managed to fit all parts still onto the 2 sheets..
There are just a few small depron parts to draw then I can start cutting my kit..
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Nov 11, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:44 AM
GLM
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterize View Post
There where two parts to the kit. I produced part of the kit at home on my wife's vinyl cutter and had a few pieces printed and cut by a local shop. I was not going to apply the decals to this Mako but couldn't resist! Looks Like I'll be putting electronics in this one and flying this winter.
Hi Raster,

Those are beautiful!

I may have to build another just to put them on

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Mornington
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Hi Mako flyers,
Not sure how to start a New Thread so apologies if this is not the correct place.
I was wondering if those with suitable skills are abe to produce the Mako as a model to fly on the Real Flight 6.0 simulator? Seems that would be an alternative to poor weather and long nights.
Theodoor is offline Find More Posts by Theodoor
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:19 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoor View Post
Hi Mako flyers,
Not sure how to start a New Thread so apologies if this is not the correct place.
I was wondering if those with suitable skills are abe to produce the Mako as a model to fly on the Real Flight 6.0 simulator? Seems that would be an alternative to poor weather and long nights.
I know some that design for realflight I will see if they are willing to take on the task.

GM
WMParkFlyers.com
WMParkFlyer is online now Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:37 PM
Springboro
Joined Sep 2004
125 Posts
Just finished mine, to bad it is cold now I may try to fly next week. I do have one question. I have never build any see plane and wondering how you guys protect electronics from water. I heart some people using the balloon is that correct?
Smoke7 is offline Find More Posts by Smoke7