HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:50 PM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
923 Posts
Thanks Vance. Glad you liked them.

Aus...No. I just like the way it handles on the ground with the step a bit farther forward.
Russ40 is offline Find More Posts by Russ40
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:09 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Changing the step? Why? Are we talking grass takeoffs or water?

On the water at high speed my Mako just skips along the surface without any elevator input. Pull back on the stick, it lifts off. On grass you need a little back stick on the elevator or up elevator, to overcome the drag of the floats in the grass but a non issue.

Chris
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:45 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Changing the step? Why? Are we talking grass takeoffs or water?

On the water at high speed my Mako just skips along the surface without any elevator input. Pull back on the stick, it lifts off. On grass you need a little back stick on the elevator or up elevator, to overcome the drag of the floats in the grass but a non issue.

Chris
Agree 100%. No need for changing the step! Add something slick on the bottom of the floats like Jetta Man said (the kit already comes with it) and a little up elevator and she jumps right off of the grass in15' or so.
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:09 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,494 Posts
Mine does rog and row very well bone stock.
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:49 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SeuzUabVuo

a small lake near warwick ny that I tried as well.
Is that the lake right off the airport ,if so ive flown my polaris there
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:11 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,494 Posts
Its called glenmere lake and is close to that airport but not the lake at the airport.
If your going to any of the lakes in that area let me know and I will join you!
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:20 PM
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
159 Posts
Flying off grass Tomahawk. She would tip up on the nose and run and finally take off. Since I move the step back she pops up in 10' +/-. A wild thing this morning as I was flying touch and goes it acted like the battery shifted to the back. Some of my touch and goes are in the nature of bounce and recover. Brought it in to check. When I picked up the Mako it was cover in ice on the booms.
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
Its called glenmere lake and is close to that airport but not the lake at the airport.
If your going to any of the lakes in that area let me know and I will join you!
sure thing ,but it wont be till next spring. i usually hang up the flying once it gets cold .i may pull out a plane once in a while and its usually the polaris to fly off the snow ,but other than that . its not happening .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:00 PM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
923 Posts
Tomahawk...I am not saying the original design doesn't work fine. I fly off grass most of the time and I put a strip of plastic file folder on the floats. I just like it to slide with out much up elevator.

Vance...That is kinda crazy. Icing on the back will really mess with the c/g.
Russ40 is offline Find More Posts by Russ40
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
159 Posts
I am a newbie so maybe I should not enter the discussion but everything I have understood about pontoons and seaplanes the CG is matched with the step. I love my Mako thanks guys for the plans.
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:04 PM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1 View Post
I am a newbie so maybe I should not enter the discussion but everything I have understood about pontoons and seaplanes the CG is matched with the step. I love my Mako thanks guys for the plans.
That is what these discussions are for, to work out problems with the planes and with the pilots learning to fly. so dont hold back. Everyone has a differant experiance and view. the trick is using this information to make a better plane.

John.
aircontrol is online now Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:33 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircontrol View Post
I dont think you have done anything wrong. The Polaris has a longer more gradual float bottom, the Mako is shorter and has more angle on the float bottom to help it on the water, this makes the Mako more prone to tip forward when taxing. The Polaris also has this problem and have had problems taking off becuse there is so much drag. I have not really had much problem with the Mako, I give up elevator or down depending if I want to take off or turn. I will talk to Greg and Mike and will look at changing the step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircontrol View Post
That is what these discussions are for, to work out problems with the planes and with the pilots learning to fly. so dont hold back. Everyone has a differant experiance and view. the trick is using this information to make a better plane.

John.
Good points. Are Greg and Mike the designers of the Mako? If so, I would be very keen to hear their opinion on the step before I start to cut some depron. No rush though, it is a while off making it to the build bench.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:46 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ40 View Post
Tomahawk...I am not saying the original design doesn't work fine. I fly off grass most of the time and I put a strip of plastic file folder on the floats. I just like it to slide with out much up elevator.

Vance...That is kinda crazy. Icing on the back will really mess with the c/g.
I guess if you guys only fly off grass then you might want changes.
Do post your changes. When I built my Mako I really changed the build from the recommend layout.
My Mako is mostly for water and grass a very distant second.
For water operations the Mako is setup perfect with the step and cg.

Chris
Last edited by Tomahawk; Nov 08, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:49 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1 View Post
Do enter the discussions, that is how we all learn.
To the reading I have done, the step should be slightly aft of the planes CG.

Chris
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:03 AM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Good points. Are Greg and Mike the designers of the Mako? If so, I would be very keen to hear their opinion on the step before I start to cut some depron. No rush though, it is a while off making it to the build bench.
I designed the Mako last winter with many prototypes and differant float and wing designs so finding cg and the placement of the step has long history. Moving the step is not going to make a huge differance, it will just tip back a little easyer when setting on flat ground. If you want it to ride level on the ground, then you should put wheels on it

John
aircontrol is online now Find More Posts by aircontrol