Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:29 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
West Michigan Park Flyers LLC

Brings you the new Mako Sea Plane

Great Video! I guess you did have a bunch of excellent footage to use.

You guys really need to build one of these. The flight envelope on the Mako can be high speed aerobatics to low, slow, high-alpha flight and everything between. I'm normally a 3D guy but the Mako is capable of so much that it has kept me very entertained.

Good stuff.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:00 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,210 Posts
I thought I would elaborate on the flight characteristics just a little more. As seen in the video the Mako is a very capable aerobatic airframe but if you notice it is also very docile. John, the designer, has many times demonstrated how easy it is to land by getting it in a nice glide approach and the setting the transmitter down and letting it land by itself. Because there is no tendency to tip stall, landings can be either be with a gentle glide angle with just a touch of power or it can be a power off approach with a gentle flop onto the water at the end.

High speed aerobatics are also easily performed and I've had no difficulty doing smooth slow, 4 point, and 8 point rolls. Loops can be big airshow style or extremely tight flips. It does nice rolling circles and rolling loops. It is very capable of knife edge flight and while there is some coupling due to the high thrust line I haven't felt the need to put any mixes in my transmitter to help. Snaps, spins, and tumbles are also a blast with the Mako. I am able to do pop tops, flat spins, and any number of tumble combination. Should you find yourself coming out of one of these a little too low no need to worry. Because it won't tip stall just point the nose down a little and pull elevator and it will just literally stop and then you can fly right out of it.

Again as seen in the video the Mako is comfortable flying off any surface be it grass, water, snow, sand, pavement, etc. One of the cool little tricks it will do is the Mako nose stand. You can pop it on it's nose and it will stand there until the battery runs out if you'd like and the angle at which it stands there is easily controled with the elevator.

I hope this provides a little summary of how much fun the Mako is to fly.

dawg
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:20 PM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
I thought I would elaborate on the flight characteristics just a little more. As seen in the video the Mako is a very capable aerobatic airframe but if you notice it is also very docile. John, the designer, has many times demonstrated how easy it is to land by getting it in a nice glide approach and the setting the transmitter down and letting it land by itself. Because there is no tendency to tip stall, landings can be either be with a gentle glide angle with just a touch of power or it can be a power off approach with a gentle flop onto the water at the end.

High speed aerobatics are also easily performed and I've had no difficulty doing smooth slow, 4 point, and 8 point rolls. Loops can be big airshow style or extremely tight flips. It does nice rolling circles and rolling loops. It is very capable of knife edge flight and while there is some coupling due to the high thrust line I haven't felt the need to put any mixes in my transmitter to help. Snaps, spins, and tumbles are also a blast with the Mako. I am able to do pop tops, flat spins, and any number of tumble combination. Should you find yourself coming out of one of these a little too low no need to worry. Because it won't tip stall just point the nose down a little and pull elevator and it will just literally stop and then you can fly right out of it.

Again as seen in the video the Mako is comfortable flying off any surface be it grass, water, snow, sand, pavement, etc. One of the cool little tricks it will do is the Mako nose stand. You can pop it on it's nose and it will stand there until the battery runs out if you'd like and the angle at which it stands there is easily controled with the elevator.

I hope this provides a little summary of how much fun the Mako is to fly.

dawg

Great Information Dawg!!!!! I am looking forward to getting a 3rd one soon! =)
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:56 AM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
369 Posts
Hi TMAC.
That was some great flying you did with the mako in the air show last Friday. Keep up the good work!
aircontrol is offline Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:52 PM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC4123 View Post
Great Information Dawg!!!!! I am looking forward to getting a 3rd one soon! =)
A third one!!! I am looking forward to getting my first.
Russ40 is offline Find More Posts by Russ40
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:15 PM
God is Good
Joined Jan 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircontrol View Post
Hi TMAC.
That was some great flying you did with the mako in the air show last Friday. Keep up the good work!
The floresent Orange looks good on your 4th Mako? 5th? 100th? Anyways it looks amazing!!! Im trying to find a small camera i can put onboard and make some video's!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:21 PM
God is Good
Joined Jan 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ40 View Post
A third one!!! I am looking forward to getting my first.
can never have enough mako's =)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:47 PM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
921 Posts
Quote:
can never have enough mako's =)
Very true. I just ordered my first. Can't wait for it to get here!
Russ40 is offline Find More Posts by Russ40
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
God is Good
Joined Jan 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ40 View Post
Very true. I just ordered my first. Can't wait for it to get here!
Let us know if you have any questions on the build! Have fun! They are a blast to fly!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
God is Good
Joined Jan 2011
1,019 Posts
Hi guys! Here are a few more video's I have taken of me flying the mako around! Hope you like them!
West Michigan Park Flyers Mako onboard camera (3 min 29 sec)

Tristen flying West Michigan Park Flyers Mako (3 min 28 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
369 Posts
Quote:
The floresent Orange looks good on your 4th Mako? 5th? 100th? Anyways it looks amazing!!! Im trying to find a small camera i can put onboard and make some video's!
Check out these key chain cameras.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1556994&pp=100
aircontrol is offline Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:02 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,210 Posts
Paint

I finally was able to get started on my new wmpf Mako today. Got the spars glued in and the hinge lines beveled and taped. Also spent some time putting a little paint on it. Turned out ok I guess. I should be able to see it at least.

Hope to get more done tomorrow so I'll post some more pictures.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:19 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
I finally was able to get started on my new wmpf Mako today. Got the spars glued in and the hinge lines beveled and taped. Also spent some time putting a little paint on it. Turned out ok I guess. I should be able to see it at least.

Hope to get more done tomorrow so I'll post some more pictures.
Nice looking paint ... still using the same cans of paint? Love the colors
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:35 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,210 Posts
I think i've got just enough for one more plane.

Going to need to come up with a new scheme pretty soon.
Last edited by r/cdawg; Jul 28, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:12 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,786 Posts
Looking forward to you guys releasing the plans...

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave