Ouch, that's ugly

http://news.yahoo.com/us-poverty-tra...--finance.html
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Sep 2010
147 Posts
From the articel:

Quote:
Robert Rector, a senior research fellow at the conservative Heritage Foundation, believes the social safety net has worked and it is now time to cut back. He worries that advocates may use a rising poverty rate to justify additional spending on the poor, when in fact, he says, many live in decent-size homes, drive cars and own wide-screen TVs.
As I have said many times on this forum. There is no poverty in the US. There are only rich people, more rich people, and super rich people.

All of the people on poverty live MUCH better than the average citizen did in the 1950's.
Gooroo is offline Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:20 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
298 Posts
Except for the ones getting lousy schooling, poor quality food and not enough health care, not to mention inadequate (or no) jobs. I didn't remember hearing much about THAT in the 50's.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
The real Obama effect... US poverty on track to rise to highest since 1960s

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz21Nuto51e
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:22 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post

As if HE started it. This is the culmination of a 40 year downward slide.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
Except for the ones getting lousy schooling, poor quality food and not enough health care, not to mention inadequate (or no) jobs. I didn't remember hearing much about THAT in the 50's.
Both of my parents went to school in one room school houses and were taught by teachers who had only a high school education.

My Mom got an infection in her leg when she was badly cut after falling out of the hay loft of the barn. My grandfather sewed the wound himself because they were too poor to go to the doctor. The leg became infected and they ended up going to the hospital 40 miles away. Mom nearly lost the leg from the infection and the family had to sell one of their milk cows to pay the bill. The lack of milk income put a huge strain on the family for the next year.

In addition to his own farm, my Grandfather share cropped with his old tractor on a neighbors property to get the family back on track. The kids all helped with the harvest.

In America today poverty is a choice.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Sep 2010
147 Posts
BTW. The 40 hour work week MUST go.

Most people don't know what to do with themselves when the are not at work, anyway.

There would be less crime if all of the kids had jobs that took up 60-70 hours a week in the summer.

Picking vegetables, mowing lawns, adding extra insulation to addicts. That "menial" work that is "below" most Amercians today.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooroo View Post
From the articel:

As I have said many times on this forum. There is no poverty in the US. There are only rich people, more rich people, and super rich people.

All of the people on poverty live MUCH better than the average citizen did in the 1950's.
Yes, you keep repeating that over & over.

It doesn't make it anything remotely close to being an accurate reflection of reality. There are plenty of people who live in poverty. I'd suggest you get out more.

Quote:

Of course - Obama caused all that in 3 short years.

As long as you choose to ignore the long slide that was occurring long before he took office.

Your post is just another example of why it's so easy to pay little attention to anything you have to offer. Unrelated to reality.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:39 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Quote:
He has done more to hurt than help.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:45 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Both of my parents went to school in one room school houses and were taught by teachers who had only a high school education.

My Mom got an infection in her leg when she was badly cut after falling out of the hay loft of the barn. My grandfather sewed the wound himself because they were too poor to go to the doctor. The leg became infected and they ended up going to the hospital 40 miles away. Mom nearly lost the leg from the infection and the family had to sell one of their milk cows to pay the bill. The lack of milk income put a huge strain on the family for the next year.

In addition to his own farm, my Grandfather share cropped with his old tractor on a neighbors property to get the family back on track. The kids all helped with the harvest.
Quote:
BTW. The 40 hour work week MUST go.

Most people don't know what to do with themselves when the are not at work, anyway.

There would be less crime if all of the kids had jobs that took up 60-70 hours a week in the summer.

Picking vegetables, mowing lawns, adding extra insulation to addicts. That "menial" work that is "below" most Amercians today.
Amazingly enough, this isn't the 1940 or '50's. It's a different world now. Not everyone lives on a farm......

Quote:
I thought you said there was no poverty? Now you're admitting there is.

While for some it is a choice, to make the claim that it is the choice for all is quite telling.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:58 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,711 Posts
Quote:
That would be Lyndon Johnson. Clinton a ctually tried to apply the break looking down the road. Obama let off the brake, pushed the throttle full bore and the rest could be his story. Push the bed in the intensive care ward to the window and then push the patient out. That will be one description of his fundamental change, from breathing to dead.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:04 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
It would seem that draining the blood out of the goose that lays the golden eggs is not working.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:14 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
298 Posts
Quote:
He has done more to hurt than help.
We won't really know for another decade or two.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:20 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
It would seem that draining the blood out of the goose that lays the golden eggs is not working.
Ceptin for the drainor....his coffers overflow.....the drainee.....well we be drained.....

It is called the drain pain and I could show you where it hurts.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:20 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
298 Posts
Quote:

Your family has my empathy (seriously). My father's family couldn't afford to support their kids during the Depression, so he and his older brother were put in a orphanage. Neither were ever the same after that. OTOH, society is more complex now, definitions change. Also, being "the greatest country in the world," aren't we supposed to have little or no poverty?