HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
Need advice on what to buy! help!

Hello all!

i am a newbie here with only minimal experience with heli's.....

anyway, need some recommendations on what would be the best heli priced around $100-$125? Just figured all the cool people here would know which brands/kinds are the best bang for my buck....

thanks a ton!
chinomoreno is offline Find More Posts by chinomoreno
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Blade 120SR.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:28 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
I'll second that. There are cheaper helis, but most have durability and reliability issues and don't teach you nearly as much. I'd rather see somebody start with something that's a little more difficult, than something that's too easy. Flying helis is NOT easy. If you pick one that is, you are only lengthening the learning process and expense.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jul 23, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balr14 View Post
i'll second that. Thee are cheaper helis, but most have durability and reliability issues and don't teach you nearly as much. I'd rather see somebody start with something that's a little more difficult, than something that's too easy. Flying helis is not easy. If you pick one that is, you are only lengthening the learning process and expense.
+1.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:37 PM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Yeah Balr, It's not a coaxial but on beginner settings, not exactly poles apart either. Kind of cool that you can change the helicopter as you progress. (I still haven't gone to advanced settings yet, still a bit rusty.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:07 PM
Zombie flyer....
United Kingdom, Huddersfield
Joined Mar 2010
137 Posts
As a newbie: Fly planes, they are so much easier! Get a hobbyzone Supercub, and go to here for advice: http://supercubclub.proboards.com/index.cgi
If you really want to fly helis, stay here, but, as a plane flier: It's sorta hard.
Some people find it easy and natural : (freaks and weirdos), and some of us find it really,.....really hard ( the rest of us).
Go fly a plane, it's easy.
Helis are.....( Ok...for me... HARD)..

Thank you for the help!!
toffa is offline Find More Posts by toffa
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:15 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toffa View Post
As a newbie: Fly planes, they are so much easier! Get a hobbyzone Supercub, and go to here for advice: http://supercubclub.proboards.com/index.cgi
If you really want to fly helis, stay here, but, as a plane flier: It's sorta hard.
Some people find it easy and natural : (freaks and weirdos), and some of us find it really,.....really hard ( the rest of us).
Go fly a plane, it's easy.
Helis are.....( Ok...for me... HARD)..

Thank you for the help!!
The question was what heli? not plane
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:25 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinomoreno View Post
..best heli priced around $100-$125?..

get a sim
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...e-2-RTM30R5510
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Basic flight with a CP heli is NOT hard. It just takes practice and patience. It really irks me when established pilots make it out like its an impossible task. Its not.

Flying(basic circuits and hovering) a CP heli doesn't even rank in the top 10 hardest things I've done in my life professionally and personally.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:02 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Agreed. But past experience shows us that it is harder, more complex and more expensive than many beginners are willing to invest. The wide availability of cheap 3 and 4 channel models have brought a lot of people into the hobby who are not as "die hard" as they were 5 years, not to mention many older beginners, who don't learn so easily. I can vouch for that, I started at age 63 and it was damned hard. Not to mention you don't seem to be taking the stated price range seriously.
Last edited by Balr14; Jul 23, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
Hello.
A 120 SR is a fantastic trainer. You may like to check out this link.
http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=240 for 120 SR specific information.
Great helicopter for a newbie. Make sure you buy it bind and fly. And a DX5 to fly it.

Hope this helps
Imzzaudae is offline Find More Posts by Imzzaudae
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Agreed. But past experience shows us that it is harder, more complex and more expensive than many beginners are willing to invest. The wide availability of cheap 3 and 4 channel models have brought a lot of people into the hobby who are not as "die hard" as they were 5 years, not to mention many older beginners, who don't learn so easily. I can vouch for that, I started at age 63 and it was damned hard. Not to mention you don't seem to be taking the stated price range seriously.
At 63 I can see it being pretty hard. I'm 42 and the mind and reflexes don't work like when I was 22.(never mind my vision)

And you're right, most who take up flying helis quit before they succeed.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:29 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
I try to let the stated price range be my guide. If somebody says price is no object, I'm recommending Phoenix, a Futaba 12FG and a Century Swift NX with flybarless head and Skookum 720.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:00 AM
Joined Feb 2012
156 Posts
It is hard, very hard unless your gifted or have unlimited funds but its not impossible just time and patients. I have spent 1800 in 6 months only because I can afford it. Looking back I could have done it for much less and a blade 120sr would be my starting point. I have a long way to go but if it helps I have been posting some of my progress. Whatever anyone says please don't think its easy, its not, if it was nobody would be in the hobby for long as there would be no challenge, thats what keeps most people going. Everyone is different and learn at different speeds. Stick with it and dont read too much as you will get a headache with all the different opinions and recommendations, what works for bill might not work for ben. Whatever Stick with it and happy landings :-)

Ritchie

MD530 beginner first attempt at circuits (2 min 47 sec)
ritchieicu is offline Find More Posts by ritchieicu