Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Jun 2007
537 Posts
What worries me is that many say everything was fine for long time and suddenly the same setup was failing. That is scary, my setups are fine for now...

Setups would be nice to see if there was any common nominator like use of s.bus or not etc. has anyone with s.bus had these problems?

What I have noted so far is that the system is somewhat sensitive for propeller imbalance and very sensitive for Compass direction. If it does not fly direct on GPS mode, it does not hold on GPS mode.
GARUG is online now Find More Posts by GARUG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:19 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
The thing that bothers me is that David stated that the WKM model had worked fine for quite some time before the event, even the Naza had several flights on it before the GPS was added. From his prior build thread and experience in RC I feel he has crossed his T's and dotted his I's. He has invested in some pretty darn reliable components as well. I do hope the issue can be solved, DJI really needs to at least entertain the idea that there could be an issue here...

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:27 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Canfield View Post
I have no trim on either model and i am not using flight modes, just using gear switch to switch between maual/atti/gps. This does not happen every time i switch into gps as it would if i had been using trim/subtrim.

I do turn radio off between flights, i do not like seeing the blinky litghts

I Admit that it is weird to have issues with two different F.C in one day.

Here are a couple commons between the two crafts. Things we can lay blame on or trouble shoot.

1. Radio/TX
2 GPS

I have been using this radio for several years with no issue.

The common factor that seams to lead to problems is when in gps mode, when in manual i would think if i had a radio issue it would still be there.

I should clear up one thing that could be to blame for the second Naza crash. The rx i am using on the naza does not have the advanced fail safe feature. So if signal was lost it would go to low throttle and drop from the sky. ( I will be replacing with new rx)

that being said i may have only two weird issues the lack of throttle control on the wookong and the tilting hard in gps ( randomly)

I still strongly believe there is an issue on the Naza gps when flipping between modes and the issue of acting out of trim. It has happened too many times on and off to be radio related.

I will get the onboard videos up in a bit.

Thanks Dave
If the TX/RX are the only common part its pretty important you tell us what model you are using.
Unless it was mentioned and I missed it.
I read every post.

Thanks
TONY
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:35 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
In MY case I want to work hard to rule out user error. I commented because I was experiencing some similar things. I have been into planes, helis, etc. for many years but more often than not if I was having a problem it was something that I was doing wrong.
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:41 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
9,396 Posts
Yes, we need pictures of setup and what type of radio.

I'm sorry I cant see it being both controllers the same day, one after another.

You also said you found a plane that you lost a week ago from a fly away?!

I would really be looking at the radio setup.. If running 2.4 I would be looking at shadowing if running Mhz I would be looking at radio noise, glitches! Or maybe even your radio going south?!
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:27 PM
Philippines
Joined Dec 2010
532 Posts
Hi! My Naza 450 with GPS exhibited this yesterday. I launched in GPS mode and it tilted right and up. I had to counter with about 50% left and down stick. And same with you guys, I switched to manual and it flies fine. I landed and turned of power and it's back to normal.
My setup:
Naza 450 GPS, DJI 30a escs, minsoo 930kv motors, 845 apc props, futaba 8fg with 6203 sbus, and 4s 3000mah turnigy.
I've had this for about 4mos now with lots of flying times on it.
Ab74 is offline Find More Posts by Ab74
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:46 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
429 Posts
These problems sound very similar to mine... I was entertaining the idea of some garbage coming down from the gps sats that the Naza erroneously interprets?

My setup is as follows.

DJI Naza GPS FC -- 2 weeks old
Suppo 2212 motors
Turnigy Plush 25 ESC
AR7000 DSM2 RX
3000-5000 3 cell lipo
450 size quad DJI
Chris Moon is offline Find More Posts by Chris Moon
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Jun 2007
537 Posts
The manual/Att/GPS mode setting is very sensitive on my Futaba setup each mode is only 4 clicks and outside that it is failsafe.

Now I am wondering might this have something to do with these problems.

If for any reason the mode setting would drift 2 clicks, the mode could be changing constantly between GPS and Failsafe.

I would hope each mode would be at least 16 clicks wide.
GARUG is online now Find More Posts by GARUG
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined May 2005
1,165 Posts
if you do a NAZA \ FAIL \ CRASH search on YouTube you got very many hits.

WKM is almost none.
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:19 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
429 Posts
Not standing up for DJI here... because I am having some issues as well... but part of the reason for so many videos on youtube is because of the number of Naza sold compared to WKM is exponentially higher.
Chris Moon is offline Find More Posts by Chris Moon
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:25 PM
Toledo, OHIO
Joined May 2007
79 Posts
The foamy flyaway was not my plane.

I am using the jr 11x dsm2, like said before in the 7 years I have been flying I have never suffered an radio issue.

Sorry but my Wookong issue was only the throttle channel and started when i Was 15 feet from model. Radio was tested after crash by checking monitor and also flying serveral models. My 700 heli has a much better chance of shadowing my radio system than a 450 size quad and I have never seen this using on at least 15 different models.

Shadowing I understand my main and remote are perpendicular to each other main is on upper section and remote is facing bottom. ^ >

Keep in mind two of my issued occurred no more than 40 yards from my person.

If my setup was incorrect and it Might be would I suffer inconsistent symptoms that are always corrected by cycling through modes?

Let me get some pics up for you.

Thanks again

Dave
David Canfield is offline Find More Posts by David Canfield
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:26 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
Joined Jan 2006
9,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
if you do a NAZA \ FAIL \ CRASH search on YouTube you got very many hits.

WKM is almost none.
Ummm yeah how many noobs bought one also I find it funny how many times people freak out cause their GPS doesnt work right.. Ask the question did you calibrate? Ummm no LOL

80% of all issues are user error. This gooes not for only DJI but for most if not all FC, multi or single.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:35 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
Joined Jan 2006
9,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Canfield View Post
The foamy flyaway was not my plane.

I am using the jr 11x dsm2, like said before in the 7 years I have been flying I have never suffered an radio issue.

Sorry but my Wookong issue was only the throttle channel and started when i Was 15 feet from model. Radio was tested after crash by checking monitor and also flying serveral models. My 700 heli has a much better chance of shadowing my radio system than a 450 size quad and I have never seen this using on at least 15 different models.

Shadowing I understand my main and remote are perpendicular to each other main is on upper section and remote is facing bottom. ^ >

Keep in mind two of my issued occurred no more than 40 yards from my person.

If my setup was incorrect and it Might be would I suffer inconsistent symptoms that are always corrected by cycling through modes?

Let me get some pics up for you.

Thanks again

Dave
Dave -

If your radio is temp drifting or acting up yes it can... Just like another user posted might be a U channel drift that is why cycling through modes helps
2 different units fail one after another.. I would really say look at two things.
A) Something up with the radio
B) Something external interfering with the signal
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
Toledo, OHIO
Joined May 2007
79 Posts
i will agree that i see a lot of video crashes on youtube but i understand that 80% of users probably have little or no RC experience.

That is why i still bought the Naza and also the fact that my Wookong has been flawless for almost 3 months.

Here is my first crash. When it started tilting i let go of the cyclic stick and it would not correct on it's own. i tried to correct but as had happened before it acted like i didn't have enough throw to correct the tilt. i tried to climb out at the end but it was too late. Also i was banking left and in fact it tilted right almost ignoring my input. the video also includes a flight in manual mode. gain was a little high but model was flying well

Naza GPS (2 min 8 sec)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:51 PM
Toledo, OHIO
Joined May 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
A) Something up with the radio
B) Something external interfering with the signal
I am looking for a solution so please do not take my comments as argumentive but more of things i am experiencing .

I am not having these issues on my flybarless helis or my airplanes, meaning the random drifting issue. I also have checked my Monitor screen many times and have never seen movement on any input. I know some Spektrum radios have had pot issue but the 11x has been a solid radio.

I will say we have had a few planes lost to the corn this year under weird situations. 90% of the time guys say radio issue but after examining the aircraft other issues are found to clear the radio as the problem.
Last edited by David Canfield; Jul 22, 2012 at 07:10 PM.