HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
Want to get an rc plane, I have some components already.

Hi all, I'm new here.

A couple of years ago I bought a model cessna 182 RTF from ST models. I didn't really have a clue what I was doing, and of course in my cocky youth I completely totalled the plane about a second after my first takeoff.

Anyway, I really want to get into rc planes again and need some advice on what to get. The thing is, I have a 35MHz 4-channel transmitter and receiver, and what I think is a brushed motor that are perfectly fine for use. If I were to get a new plane I probably would need a better motor, but wouldn't the radio equipment be fine for use?

I'm just looking to see if it's possible to save some money with the bits and pieces I have, what beginner (I am very much a complete beginner) plane to get, and how I could incorporate what I have into a new plane.

I'm aware that for the experienced here this is the kind of thing you would do anyway. I'm doing a degree in engineering, so I have some idea of how the circuitry works and how planes are designed to fly.

Thanks in advance.
nirelandflyer is offline Find More Posts by nirelandflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:24 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,000 Posts
Have a look in the - Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forum - especially the 'Sticky' threads at the top.

One of the threads includes links to many free to download plans, plus the build threads and advice on which make good first build and trainers.

That way you can keep the cost to a minimum, (even free foam insulation from a builder skip is possible). It also means when you have the next 'arrival', (we don't crash ), a replacement is so easy and cheap to make.

It's handy if you have a local model shop for the smaller bits and pieces, plus you may need new batteries as old nicad/nimh cells can deteriorate over long periods.

My main tip would be forget looks, if it flies and you learn how to fly it, it's a winner. Later can come the models that actually look like real planes.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:37 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Go in the scratchbuild foamies section, click on the thread, "pics with over 600 links to different plans", and the first plane is called the blue baby. Build yourself one of those out of EPP foam. EPP can be ordered from RcFoam.com. get a few sheets of 6mm.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:05 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirelandflyer View Post
Hi all, I'm new here.

A couple of years ago I bought a model cessna 182 RTF from ST models. I didn't really have a clue what I was doing, and of course in my cocky youth I completely totalled the plane about a second after my first takeoff.

Anyway, I really want to get into rc planes again and need some advice on what to get. The thing is, I have a 35MHz 4-channel transmitter and receiver, and what I think is a brushed motor that are perfectly fine for use. If I were to get a new plane I probably would need a better motor, but wouldn't the radio equipment be fine for use?

I'm just looking to see if it's possible to save some money with the bits and pieces I have, what beginner (I am very much a complete beginner) plane to get, and how I could incorporate what I have into a new plane.

I'm aware that for the experienced here this is the kind of thing you would do anyway. I'm doing a degree in engineering, so I have some idea of how the circuitry works and how planes are designed to fly.

Thanks in advance.
Put all that stuff to one side and get a Firebird Stratos RTF package:

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/...FUFTfAodiFcAZw

Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:13 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,596 Posts
Since you have zero (well almost) experience flying RC I recommend you forget building until you can fly something basic. I don't think the equipment you have will be of any use to you at this stage.

Spend $200 on a SuperCub Ready To Fly (RTF) and another $25 on an RC simulator.
Learn to fly and then start looking to build a plane that will use the equipment you currently have.

I also suggest you find a local RC flying club and enlist the help of an instructor.

If you take my suggestions I think you will have a much more enjoyable learning experience and a superion entrance into the hobby of RC flying.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:45 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
If you have an android phone, you should check out Leo's RC Simulator. Its free and it has a trainer, aerobat, glider, and heli. Works awesome
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Thanks all. Yeah I thinks it is probably best if I buy an RTF beginner's plane first of all, then I'll move onto building my own with my equipment.
nirelandflyer is offline Find More Posts by nirelandflyer
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:40 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Keep all the old stuff if it works together properly, i bought an easystar it had a brushed motor preinstalled for 60 bucks new, worked fine, glad i started with it, had some very nasty crashes and still goes strong.
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella