HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:30 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,351 Posts
Discussion
Hollow inrunner motor shaft

Hi guys,A question for you.Would it be possible to fit an in runner motor with a tube shaft.What I am looking to do is fit a nut to the tube to drive a 2or3mm threaded rod which would pass through the motor.
I must stress that my knowledge of motor construction is zero;I have no figures as to the power needed for the application,which is a possible design for a swing wing mechanism.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:52 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,111 Posts
When inrunners are manufactured the magnets are bonded to the shaft with a glue (epoxy normally I think) and. in some cases, even wrapped with Kevlar to keep the magnets from breaking or coming off at high RPM. So getting a shaft out and replacing it with another is not easy to do.

If no one sells inrunners with hollow shafts I'd think you would have to get the hollow shaft and move your magnets to it and fit it to your motor. A pretty ambitious undertaking...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
When inrunners are manufactured the magnets are bonded to the shaft with a glue (epoxy normally I think) and. in some cases, even wrapped with Kevlar to keep the magnets from breaking or coming off at high RPM. So getting a shaft out and replacing it with another is not easy to do.

If no one sells inrunners with hollow shafts I'd think you would have to get the hollow shaft and move your magnets to it and fit it to your motor. A pretty ambitious undertaking...

Jack
Thanks for the info Jack.Back to plan A,fitting a screw rod extension to the shaft.
Regards Stuart
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
Inspiration
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Aug 2011
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Hi guys,A question for you.Would it be possible to fit an in runner motor with a tube shaft.What I am looking to do is fit a nut to the tube to drive a 2or3mm threaded rod which would pass through the motor.
I must stress that my knowledge of motor construction is zero;I have no figures as to the power needed for the application,which is a possible design for a swing wing mechanism.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,Stuart
As Jack said, probably you will not find any inrunners in the market, with a hollow shaft. Changing the shaft of an inrunner is hardly possible, but for out runners, it is much easier. You might be able to find a steel tube matching your needs for an outrunner.
modisc is offline Find More Posts by modisc
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,351 Posts
Just found an eflite Park 370 with a 4mm hollow shaft which could do the job.Thanks to all
Regards Stuart
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:06 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,111 Posts
I knew of that, and it did not cross my mind.

That motor is part # EFLM1210HS, 1.6 oz./45 gram and a 1200 Kv.

The shaft is, at least in theory, available as a repair part:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...aft-EFLM1210HS

The motor is listed as 24mm long so the shaft might be 2" or a little more in length.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes