HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by davidterrell80, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:44 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
Build Log
Cartoon C-119

Back in 1963, I received several toy airplanes as Christmas presents.

Among them was a toy C-119.

Finding the photograph, I am tempted to make a cartoon RC out of the idea, based on my memories.

The fuselage was an dark blue plastic and the wings and booms were silver.

I wonder if I can build something around the PZ UM Mosquito brick, motors and props, keeping the weight down to overcome the added drag.

I'll start drawing up plans and making weight estimates.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Jul 21, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
I did a bit of research and found the same toy at the "National Museum of Play Online Collections"

C-184-10 / U.S. Army Globemaster / Flying Boxcar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I broke my SE-5a
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
And I found other information at http://www.txantiquemall.com/ttm_vintoys.htm

US Army Transport C-184-10
Materials: Metal & Plastic, Decals on Both Engine Mounts/Tail
Size: Wing Span: 22"; Nose to Tail: 17"
Condition: Played With, Split to Plastic on Nose & Tail
Price: $135.00 + s/h/i

With the span and length, I can begin making my plans; scaling the photos and determining additional dimensions.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:11 AM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
680 Posts
Hi David!

Lovely blog-post! It's sweet when an old childhooddream now can become reality!

I thought of sharing this website with you: http://www.bobscardmodels.net76.net/page2.htm
On it, there are several paper-model-plans and not only one, but two C-119's.
I thought you might be interested in using one of those for your build (or get some inspiration).
I used the plan from this sit for building a Grumman Albatross (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1491835), it uses an AR6400 with two UM Cub J-3 motor/gear./prop. and doesn't lack power, so I'm convinced that an AR6400T with the mosquito's power-unit will deliver plenty of power.

Happy landings :-)
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Chrizz; Jul 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:25 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,024 Posts
you might fin this interesting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1690488

its not small but its still cool.
verticalspark is online now Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:41 AM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
680 Posts
Cool! Not small in fact, but cool!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
Thank you both, for the encouraging words and references. Bob's Card Models is new to me and a welcome resource.

I've been experimenting with both "Dollar Tree Foam" and "Model Plane Foam," using a combination of both in the Polaris Seaplane I just finished but have not yet flown. One of my thoughts was to compress the foam to a denser, thinner form, perhaps sandwiching it between plywood and using the auto, and determining if the material is more flexible.

If it is more flexible, then perhaps I can use a monococque "profile, bulkhead and skin" approach to construction... or, even use a shaped male or female tool to make a foam shell.

Still, much to think about.

Also, I see that the Antique Toy Trader with the model is located about 100 miles (160 km) up the interstate highway from where I lived as a child. Theoretically, it could be the one I owned in my youth. I intend to purchase it and photograph it alongside its flying derivative.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Jul 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
Construction thoughts:

-- The AR6400T has the rudder and elevator servo integrated in the board. perhaps I should plan to put the board in one boom, aft of a motor, over or behind the wing. Then, I can run the elevator and rudder control linkages aft, through the boom to the tail surfaces. This, in turn, would allow me to control the elevator from one end, so the surface needs to be relatively stiff and perhaps balanced. For the rudders, I can use a pitch horn on one and use a linkage to reach across to the other side. Again, stiffness will be important. perhaps, a trailing edge carbon rod linking the two.

-- The aileron servo could easily be in the opposite boom and I would use a single aileron, full-span on the outboard section. If the single surface proves insufficient, I can run a long rod to the opposite wing for a second aileron.

-- I could also use a balsa or foam, stringer approach to the fuselage and cover it with a material like aerolite.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:24 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,024 Posts
if you consider it, find a crashed a parkzone mosquito. already runs twin engines and had the battery for a good 6-8 min of flight.
verticalspark is online now Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:32 PM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
680 Posts
Hi David!
Glad you liked Bob's models, I'm finding his models absolutely delightful to build myself.

About mounting the brick in one of the booms, I think it's quite doable (the idea of linking the two rudders together with a rod at the trailing edge has worked very well for me in the past http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4270483), but I would worry about fitting the brick into the boom and even more, about battery placement possibilities (extending the leads could help solve that problem, but only to a certain extend). In any case the lateral CG will be out of ballance, at least by the brick being heavier than the single servo, each in their boom, if not also by the lipo being closer to one of the booms.
Do you already have the above mentionned AR6400T?
If not you could consider using any other AR-brick (why not one with no onboard servos, total placement freedom! Then you could mount a servo in each boom, one for elevator and one for rudder). Their esc can handle up to 2mah, which allows for two UM Cub J-3 motor/gear./prop.'s (they draw appr. 1,90mah together), driven by any lipo from and above 120mah. I believe to remember that with this setup, there's somewhere around 40g of thrust (this needs to be verified, I couldn't find the info again myself)...

PS If you feel tempted, give Bob's plans a try! Either in paper (first?) or...
In the case of my Grumman Albatross, I pretty much constructed it as if in paper, but calculating the extra thickness of the 3- and 6mm Depron and the 3mm Epp I used.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Chrizz; Jul 22, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
As to the lateral CG, the fat fuselage gives me plenty of room to shift something to balance laterally.

As to battery placement and construction, I'm thinking of incorporating a parting line in the fuselage at the waterline marked by the base of the wing. The entire assembly of wing, booms and enpennage would lift off the lower fuselage and I could then attach the battery to the underside of the wing as needed for balance, both side-to-side and fore-and-aft. In fact, I could build the wing, booms, and enpennage as a single structural unit; building a separate fuselage to attach to it.

As to placement, it's all too soon. I need to produce some basic structural lines drawings first; and, once I see the inside dimensions, I will be able to make rational decisions.

I have TurboCAD 19 but have not gained the skills I need, yet.

I'll be using my t-square tomorrow evening.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Jul 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
I should have the non-flying prototype on Friday. It gives me great satisfaction.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:58 AM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
680 Posts
Congratulation for the retrieval!
Is it the one from your childhood (does it still have your name inside?)

:-)

(just hoping you're not sitting in a corner behaving like another Gollum "Mine, mine!..")
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
Now, I'll have to put on a loincloth (Oh! My eyes!), squat down next to a tree and sing "My precious!" to it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:42 PM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
680 Posts
Don't forget to Youtube it! ;-)
RCG Plus Member