Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, OH, Springboro
Joined Jul 2012
16 Posts
Discussion
Took HZ Super Cub out for 1st time today!

I was a nervous wreck from the start and didn't help that I flew it in the morning and was FACING the sun! Lost visual, managed to get it back and semi crash land with not much damage at all.

Ok, so now Im really sweating bullets, flew a little more, like 5 minutes, and had to just stop. Went to work, finally calmed down and after work took it out again. Wind had picked up a bit but still was able to get time in and get used to it cause it is not like the sim. not knocking the sim, but not the same.

My question is, with the super cub, you can only turn with tail rudder, since no wing flaps. Will the turns be more smooth when I advance to the T-28 with wing flaps?
Mark88fan is offline Find More Posts by Mark88fan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:40 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,220 Posts
congrats on your maiden. the sun makes a lot of people lose their planes so you were lucky. i use shades i bought at costco (kirkland brand, ~$30) and they work great for flying when facing the sun. but try to avoid facing it if you can.
your turns not being "smooth" are likely since you've just started on this plane. while aileron turns are a bit different, the 3 ch cub is a highly maneuverable plane. just keep practicing and you'll see. in my case, when i'm new to a plane my maneuvers are short and jerky as i make tiny movements to avoid overcompensating and as i get myself accustomed the flight characteristics of a new plane.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:13 AM
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Joined Aug 2007
1,198 Posts
It is very possible to fly the SC smooth, and as cmdl said, it's also surprisingly maneuverable.

However you shouldn't be expecting to fly it like that in your first few flights. Get the import things down first (positive control, orientation, landings, etc.) then worry about finesse.
kalnaren is offline Find More Posts by kalnaren
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,756 Posts
I have been flying my HZ Super Cub for about 3.5 months now and my PZ T-28 Trojan for a little over a month. First, when you go into a turn with your Super Cub make sure you give it a wee bit of elevator, this makes the turns smooth and prevents it from losing altitude. Try to fly the Super Cub at about 60% throttle at first. This prevents the plane from constantly wanting to climb. The biggest difference between the Super Cub and the Trojan is that the T-28 is infinately more responsive to aileron input than the Super Cub is to rudder input. I have the dual rates on my Trojan set to 60% aileron and rudder and 75% elevator and those settings calm down the Trojan a lot. My second flight of my T-28 ended in disaster because I had the dual rates set at 100% for everything and I wasn't used to the sensitivity. I banked with too much input and crashed her; fortunately the damage was minimal and I just had to replace a fried motor and ESC. Also, the T-28 Trojan is NOT self righting like the Super Cub. You have to remember to "cancel" your banks and turns with opposite aileron; simply letting go of the sticks will not do it, but will result in the plane diving into the ground. The Super Cub can be landed basically on a dead stick with absolutely no power as it will just kind of glides/floats down. The Trojan needs to be landed under throttle, not much, but still under power and it requires a heck of a lot more runway to land. I am not trying to scare you, but just letting you know that as a beginner, you should stick with the Super Cub for a good while before you attempt to fly a warbird type plane. On a side note, I recently purchased and flew a Flyzone Focke-Wulf 190 Select Scale warbird and I can honestly tell you that it is a lot easier to fly than the PZ Trojan T-28 as it can fly very well at just a hair over 1/2 throttle and has very docile handling characteristics. The only issue with this plane is it has somewhat fragile mechanical retractable landing gear, which IMO, is its weak point. It is kind of hard for a beginner to remember to hit the down landing gear switch too. In the air though, this plane is a joy to fly and could easily be a second plane after mastering a high wing trainer like the HZ Super Cub. Enjoy your Super Cub.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69