HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by iannybeany, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:53 PM
Australia, NSW, Alstonville
Joined Jan 2012
17 Posts
Discussion
flying wing stabilisers

Pulled out the flying delta wing slope soaring glider and patched up a few holes where servo's were mounted in the wings...cut out the rear of the glider to take a small electric engine and remodelled the centre to take radio and servo's and now I have a near completed powered wing...just need a little advice and I could be in the air flying...should I attach stabilisers to the end of the wings or go for a central one?
Hope anyone can help.
Went for my first test flight wasn't sure of C/g so added a little weight to the nose. Proved to be not needed as C/G was just about perfect with the set up shown. I've found I need at least a 3 cell battery for more power and will go for a sports prop so will move the motor further aft to counteract the extra weight of the battery. Need to tighten up the hinges a servo fittings as these were a little loose after the first couple of rough landings. Big prop proved a problem with landings dislodging the motor on last landing. pleasantly surprised how stable it flew..looking forward to next flight with changes will post a picture or two of modifications...Busy at the moment building new Kitchen and putting down a Bamboo floor.
iannybeany is offline Find More Posts by iannybeany
Last edited by iannybeany; Aug 06, 2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: More detail
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
I am a relative noobee to flying (less than a year) but I fly my scratch built epp foam wings without any stabilizers and they fly great if controls are tight and cg is good.
I hate repairing broken stabs and there is less drag.
FeiJi is offline Find More Posts by FeiJi
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Good day flying...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:45 AM
Australia, NSW, Alstonville
Joined Jan 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiJi View Post
I am a relative noobee to flying (less than a year) but I fly my scratch built epp foam wings without any stabilizers and they fly great if controls are tight and cg is good.
I hate repairing broken stabs and there is less drag.
I'm attaching them with Velco so if I do find I'm able to fly without them as you suggest I will give it a go...thanks for your advice. Have had little experience flying the delta wing but have progressed with other models I feel I should be able to control it. Thanks
iannybeany is offline Find More Posts by iannybeany