HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jul 2012
23 Posts
Help!
When should I charge my Li-Po batteries?

So I'm fairly new to this hobby, and I haven't had much trouble yet but there is one question that has been bugging me: do Li-po batteries lose their charge over time? For example, say I run all my batteries completely empty, I go inside and after the batteries have cooled for an hour or two, I charge them completely full. Maybe it's a few days or weeks until I get to fly again, so the batteries sit fully charged for a while. Is that bad for the battery? Does the battery lose it's charge over time, or is it just the same as if I charged the battery 10 minutes prior??

Thank you in advance!!
Farm Kid is offline Find More Posts by Farm Kid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:04 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Lipo's do not lose their charge over time.
But they do lose their life when left fully charged.

So do not charge your packs and not use them for days and certainly not for weeks.

The way to store them is to charge to 3.85V / cell ( generally called storage voltage) and keep them as long as you want.
When ready to fly charge them up to 4.20V / cell.
Never discharge ( use them) below 3.70V / cell.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:12 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,897 Posts
and if you can, store them at temperatures around 45F.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:22 AM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jul 2012
23 Posts
Alright that helps me so much! Thank you!
Farm Kid is offline Find More Posts by Farm Kid