HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
Bixler / Sky Surfer V1 motor loose during flight - help!

Today, during my first loop tests with my Bixler / Sky Surfer RTF, the motor started to behave funny in the sky, emitting a rattling noise. I landed the bird and realized that the two screws holding the motor in the mount were loose (one of them had completely fallen out from its threads and rolled around inside the fuselage).

Luckily the motor was still intact in its bay...

Has anyone encountered the same problem?

I tried putting some Loctite (screw adhesive/hold lubricant) on the screws but it seems almost impossible to re-fit the screws with a screwdriver. The screw mount is not aligned horisontally in the airflow space and it is difficult to fit (even a long) screwdriver in there to get to the screws.

Do I need to cut the foam? How hard do I dare tighten the screws? The engine bay mount seem to be made out of balsa, so i'm guessing "go easy"?
Wiciman is offline Find More Posts by Wiciman
Last edited by Wiciman; Jul 21, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:03 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
I had to take those screws off because my motor mount got loose after a crash. I recommend you adding some hot glue with some wood to make sure that this doesn't happen to you.
As for your problem, you don't need to cut any foam off. Just have a screwdriver that has a small shaft, and start screwing the screws in. You will have a small angle and you have to alternate from one screw to the other quite often in order to get them in. Took me about 5 minutes to get both of them in. Not fast but it works
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
I had to take those screws off because my motor mount got loose after a crash. I recommend you adding some hot glue with some wood to make sure that this doesn't happen to you.
As for your problem, you don't need to cut any foam off. Just have a screwdriver that has a small shaft, and start screwing the screws in. You will have a small angle and you have to alternate from one screw to the other quite often in order to get them in. Took me about 5 minutes to get both of them in. Not fast but it works
Thanx but where exactly did you put the wood?
Wiciman is offline Find More Posts by Wiciman