HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2003, 04:51 PM
Deland FL
Joined Jan 2003
284 Posts
Electrified 15 Year old Gentle Lady Maidens!

My dad built a gentle lady about 15 years ago and put it in his attic, never flew it! He had it modified to take a speed 600 motor with 8x4 folder direct drive.

He gave it to me about 3 weeks ago and said have fun with it! I don't think he expected me to get it in the air!

I did a little motocalcing and found that the speed 600 he had in it would have flown the plane but at low efficiency (40%) and high amps (30A).

I found a used graupner speed 480 7.2 v geared 3.45:1 here on the 'zone and snapped it up. It came with a 20 A ESC and 11x8 CAM folder. This motor and gb has about the same weight as the speed 600 and produces 70%+ of the thrust at 30% of the amps.

Got it all set up and put 7 cells 600 mah nicads up front.

Will it fly? Everything looked favorable despite over a decade in storage!

I did my range check and everything looked good. A light wind was blowing from the southeast..... The moment of truth!

With a little run I gave it full throttle and it left my hand. It pulled up very nice, I had to give a couple clicks down trim to avoid a stall. It was climbing nicely now. A couple of neighborhood kids were watching me fly in the 10 acre vacant lot.

I didn't take it too high, maybe 200 feet. Just cruised around to see its manners. I cut power to test the glide. I found I had to give it a couple clicks of up with power off, but the glide was nice and flat. I took about 3 or 4 minutes to come down from 200 feet with no thermal activity.

I need more mah's to get to thermal hunting altitude. I have a couple of kokam 1500's on their way. 2s2p of those should give me about 20 minutes WOT for several climbs. The climb will likely remain kind of sedate, 8 cells NiMh would be better, but I like light and duration right now.

Heres a photo of this Blast from the Past!
jms336 is offline Find More Posts by jms336
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2003, 06:36 PM
france
Joined Sep 2003
312 Posts
not that it matters but thats not a gentle lady ,looks more like a sig riser?? have fun

viti
viti is offline Find More Posts by viti
Old Nov 16, 2003, 07:21 PM
Deland FL
Joined Jan 2003
284 Posts
Cool, I wasn't sure, a friend of mine had a gentle lady and it looked very similar, he thought maybe they had changed some of the details over the years? But you're right, I'm not sure of the name.

John
jms336 is offline Find More Posts by jms336
Old Nov 16, 2003, 08:02 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Your motor/box/prop selection is ideal for that plane.
I fly my GL on 8x800s from a ZAGI™Razor.
Many climbs. Flying wt. 38 oz. It also carries a camera externally when the mood strikes.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member