HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyRoss View Post
The Pitts is back on the website, but now sold out.
i just hope they have them back in stock when i have enough funds for it. im compulsive, and if i see another plane i like i will buy instead ,and then have to wait again .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well I got my maiden in today.
8-12mph winds 90 degrees to the runway shifting slightly south every now and again. Sat around most of the day hoping it would die down some. Flew some of my smaller planes. Got my FW-190 up and flying. Landing was a bit tricky. Finally came time to fly the Pitts. Not much of a roll out. As soon as the tail lifted the 90 degree wind turned the plane towards the barb wire fence running along the runway about 40 feet from it though. No problem for this plane. Just goose it and she is climbing out. A couple of clicks here and there and she was as trim as I was going to get in the windy conditions. Kept it low key for the maiden flight and sat down after 4 min. Landing approach was smooth but one the wheels touched she bounced a little and ended up using the wing tips to stop the plane. The wind was certainly not cooperating. I used 1667 mAh out of a 3700 mAh lipo. Easily 6 min flights for such a windy day.

I charged the lipo back up and took her up a second time. But this time the wind had all but dies. Perfect for trimming. A couple more clicks of trim here or there and she was hands off. Flipped her upside down and she dove like a rock (Nose heavy). Took a bit of down elevator to level her out inverted. Flipped over to high rates and did some mild aerobatics. Knife edges and what not's. Really started to have fun with it and enjoying it. Flies just as good as the rest of FMS's fleet. 6 min was up way too soon and I cam in for a landing. Wouldn't you know it, the wind picked back up just in time. Bounce a bit harder on this landing and the wind got me side ways and flipped me upside down. The landing was ugly ans $h!t but she lives to fly another day and I am happy. With a calm wind I used just about the same amount of mAh as before so on a calm day I can fly for 8 min.

Speed wise, she ain't a rocket ship but she flies slow just fine. Stalls are straight and true. She just mushes forward until I put the power back on. Needless to say, she is a keeper. I will be taking this one out again Monday and going to just try and have a blast. The CG does need to move back some. I am going to move it from 90mm back to 95 and see how that works. More later as I fly her more.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Last edited by Orion Pax; Aug 11, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
我爱飞RC
United States, NC, Tar Heel
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Well I got my maiden in today.
8-12mph winds 90 degrees to the runway shifting slightly south every now and again. Sat around most of the day hoping it would die down some. Flew some of my smaller planes. Got my FW-190 up and flying. Landing was a bit tricky. Finally came time to fly the Pitts. Not much of a roll out. As soon as the tail lifted the 90 degree wind turned the plane towards the barb wire fence running along the runway about 40 feet from it though. No problem for this plane. Just goose it and she is climbing out. A couple of clicks here and there and she was as trim as I was going to get in the windy conditions. Kept it low key for the maiden flight and sat down after 4 min. Landing approach was smooth but one the wheels touched she bounced a little and ended up using the wing tips to stop the plane. The wind was certainly not cooperating. I used 1667 mAh out of a 3700 mAh lipo. Easily 6 min flights for such a windy day.

I charged the lipo back up and took her up a second time. But this time the wind had all but dies. Perfect for trimming. A couple more clicks of trim here or there and she was hands off. Flipped her upside down and she dove like a rock (Nose heavy). Took a bit of down elevator to level her out inverted. Flipped over to high rates and did some mild acrobatics. Knife edges and what not's. Really started to have fun with it and enjoying it. Flies just as good as the rest of FMS's fleet. 6 min was up way too soon and I cam in for a landing. Wouldn't you know it, the wind picked back up just in time. Bounce a bit harder on this landing and the wind got me side ways and flipped me upside down. The landing was ugly ans $h!t but she lives to fly another day and I am happy. With a calm wind I used just about the same amount of mAh as before so on a calm day I can fly for 8 min.

Speed wise, she ain't a rocket ship but she flies slow just fine. Stalls are straight and true. She just mushes forward until I put the power back on. Needless to say, she is a keeper. I will be taking this one out again Monday and going to just try and have a blast. The CG does need to move back some. I am going to move it from 90mm back to 95 and see how that works. More later as I fly her more.

Orion
Awesome but it's aerobatics - not acrobatics. Good review though. I may get one. Thanks.
biowheel is offline Find More Posts by biowheel
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,640 Posts
good to hear you like , just the news i wanted to hear from you .6min fight time is great news since the price of those batteries are hi . id like to get my monies worth in flight time.sorry to hear about the flip.at least nothing broke i was going to wait till the winter to get one,since i have my eyes on a multipex dogfighter but .im going to get one as soon as they come back in stock .
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:53 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Thanks for the correction. I have been watching too much Olympics. LOL!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:56 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
good to hear you like , just the news i wanted to hear from you . i dont think im going to wait , next time its back in stock im jumping on one.
sorry to hear sbot the flip ,but that nothing anybody can control ,mother nature has a way of showing who is boss
Very true. I think Mother Nature is in cahoots with Murphys' law.

When you get one I very much recommend to go ahead and replace the elevator servo with an HS-85MG or your favorite Metal Gear equivalent. If you have any questions or anything as you go through your build jut let me know and I will help any way I can.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:16 PM
我爱飞RC
United States, NC, Tar Heel
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Thanks for the correction. I have been watching too much Olympics. LOL!
Awesome.

biowheel is offline Find More Posts by biowheel
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,591 Posts
Orion Pax........ Thanks for the review. Time to buy.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:06 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,640 Posts
Its back in stock
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:57 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well y'all better get on it before its back out of stock. Some small modifications in the interest of the planes life span and this thing is an amazing plane.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:10 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,169 Posts
Hi Orion
Do you have the 63" pitts from BH?
If so how do the 2 planes compare?
Thx
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Last edited by lv2soar; Aug 12, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2soar View Post
Hi Orion
Do you have the 63" pitts from BH?
If so how do the 2 planes compare?
Thx
Sorry, I do not.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I flew the Pitts again today. Took her up and just had a blast. I had to adjust my expo some as I had it set too soft but man I am getting comfortable with this plane. Lots of fun this one is.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Orion,
Where did you end up setting the CG? If I can also ask, since I still have not gotten mine up in the air, What battery are you using? I have a 4000mAh 6S. Hope to get radio trim and CG set and maybe in the air on Wed. Thanks for sharing!
RodneyRoss is offline Find More Posts by RodneyRoss
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:28 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Rodney, I am set at the factory setting of 90mm. It was a bit windy today so I left it there and I will wait for a calmer day to mess with it. I think 95mm will be better but wont know till I do it. I am using the 6s 65c 3700mAh Genesis lipo from BH.

Orion