Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:23 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Yeah, the plane really is a good looking plane. I had a couple of friends out there really wanting me to fly it and I felt so bad that I did not get it up for them.

I have an HS-85MG coming for it. It will deliver 48oz of torque where as the factory servo only gives 42. Its a little beefier and its rated faster so I should be able to bang the sticks pretty hard with it. The ailerons and rudder servos I will leave as they are since they don't work as hard as the elevator.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,630 Posts
that sucks that you didnt get to fly it ,but it was for the better . your plane is still in one piece . and im not surprised that the electronics sucked .you cant expect much from parts bin electronics. if its a plane i really like i go out of the way to put top shelf electronics . if its a cheapo plane to mess around . i keep it as is . this plane is a keeper even if the electronics where half decent i still would change them . im anal when it come to planes i like .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:15 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Like my quote says, Wisdom can not be granted. I have learned this one the hard way.

In a way I am mildly surprised. I have built 9 of the 1400mm FMS planes and this is the first one that has had a servo go out. The reason for the mildly part is the shear size of the plane and the size of the servo. When you start reaching a certain size of plane, at some point the servos have to move beyond the 9 gram standard. Granted, this servo is bigger than the 9 gram servo but it still has plastic gears which is real weak for this size plane on such an important control surface. It is just a touch smaller than the HS-82. The HS-82 is just a little stronger than the factory servo but it is slower in movement, which is why I went with the HS-85MG. Faster, stronger and just about the same length.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:04 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
873 Posts
Cg

With biplanes, isn't the CG right on the leading edge of the lower wing?
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:48 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Not necessarily. CG is determined by the surface area of each wing, the over lap of the top wing over the bottom, and I think the shape of the top wing vs the shape of the bottom comes into play also. I was trying to read up on it and it seemed rather complicated so I just quit trying to hurt my brain. I have mine balanced at 90mm and that's where I will maiden from.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:57 PM
central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
32 Posts
Wow just found this plane and it sure looks tempting! Any idea when your next attempt at a maiden will be? Ill be looking forward to your report.
msw1556 is offline Find More Posts by msw1556
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:56 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Saturday so long as I get my parts by Friday.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:31 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Got the replacement servo in today. Looks like the FMS servo arm fits on the HS-85 servo. This will be the easiest fix ever. Will report back once together and ready.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:59 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Got the replacement servo in today. Looks like the FMS servo arm fits on the HS-85 servo. This will be the easiest fix ever. Will report back once together and ready.
cool
Riddlers is offline Find More Posts by Riddlers
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Orion - What number was on your wings when you put it together? I have #49 anxious for work to stop and maybe get a flight in myself. Looking forward to your flight info.
RodneyRoss is offline Find More Posts by RodneyRoss
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:14 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I don't know what number it was. I didn't notice any.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:19 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
It looks like BH revamped their web site. I can't find the FMS Pitts on it.. :-(
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:59 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
It looks like BH revamped their web site. I can't find the FMS Pitts on it.. :-(
I see that.... I am not a fan of the new site. Very WEAK so far. I get tired looking and leave....
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Last edited by kydawg1; Aug 09, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:20 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Yeah, it scrapped all the pictures I had posted and the new site is not updated with all the products yet. The new site looks neat but will take some getting used to.

A tech note: I used a large servo arm from an HS-645 servo. The original FMS servo arm fit, but was just a touch on the large side in the spline area and I didn't want to risk it. I noticed that I have more down travel than up travel on my elevator. This is due to the angle that the control rods come out of the fuselage. The control rods are very strong and not very flexible which is a good thing but the AOA on them to the elevator does not allow for adequate up elevator deflection.

Orion
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
FMS Pitts on BH Web

The Pitts is back on the website, but now sold out.
RodneyRoss is offline Find More Posts by RodneyRoss