Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2soar View Post
Anyone have this Pitts?
http://www.bananahobby.com/2384.html

If so, how is it comapre to the FMS Pitts?
Which one is better one to get?

Thanks
i cannot compare since i dont have either but visually the FMS wins hands down, the starmax version has been out for a while . so theres alot of post about it. i followed the starmax pitts hybrid from the 1st page ,and im glad i never got it .this FMS just came out Orion has the honor of being the 1st to have one . so i dont think its fair to compare them as of yet

i guess it boils down to who has better,planes and who uses better parts starmax or FMS

c
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:37 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Sorry guys for not uploading any pics or anything last night. I spent the night setting up control throws and CG. Not sure about the CG on this one. It is set at 90mm from the leading edge of the top wing but in order for me to get that CG I need to shove the lipo all the way to the firewall which is very very far forward. I have PM'd Pete about the CG and hopefully he will respond today. Once I have it all set I will shoot pics or video of the interior and how I have it set up.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:42 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Sorry guys for not uploading any pics or anything last night. I spent the night setting up control throws and CG. Not sure about the CG on this one. It is set at 90mm from the leading edge of the top wing but in order for me to get that CG I need to shove the lipo all the way to the firewall which is very very far forward. I have PM'd Pete about the CG and hopefully he will respond today. Once I have it all set I will shoot pics or video of the interior and how I have it set up.

Orion
no worries, thanks for keeping us posted
Riddlers is offline Find More Posts by Riddlers
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:53 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,678 Posts
Orion - I can't wait to hear how your maiden goes (I expect to hear praise and awww)..... I am gonna order tonight either way.... she sure looks awesome (based on the BH pictures) and I like Orion's comments on overall product quality. Pending any major disasters....she is most likely gonna be a real winner.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:52 PM
United States, NY, Wyoming
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
Another point Pete mentioned in the video was he thought you could go up to a larger battery. I wonder if that is some of the issue with having to go so far forward with the pack. Good luck with the maiden, I hope the weather is good. Looking forward to a report.
starwarsfan is offline Find More Posts by starwarsfan
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:21 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Here is a walk around video for you guys.

FMS Pitts Walkaround (5 min 1 sec)

Orion
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Here is a walk around video for you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odIiX...ature=youtu.be

Orion
good luck with the maiden i wish you the best.
just a quick question how is th landing gear . the wires look kinda thin to me .
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:04 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Its pretty dang stiff. I will let you know how they hold up tomorrow.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:31 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,174 Posts
I dont think the wires are functional due to being hell with springs , maybe there just for looks
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
I dont think the wires are functional due to being hell with springs , maybe there just for looks
i was talking about the wire looking landing gear ,not the wires on the wings,lol
but thanks for pointing that out <insert sarcasim ,
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:27 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Well I have good news and bad news.

The good news is she came home in one piece.
The bad news is, I didn't get to fly her.
At first it was a range issue. I was using an old AR6100, that on its last flight, had a brown out due to me flying on too many servos without a BEC. Well with the plane at one end and me on the other of a 600 ft runway, the plane had a quick response and then stopped working and did not start working again until I got about half way back. Thankfully, I had a friend to the rescue with an AR600. I bound that to the TX and was set to go again. With a quick check of the control surfaces to make sure nothing was reversed, I heard a clicking sound out of the elevator servo. Making note of it, I went and did another range check with the new RX and my buddy at the other end told me to kill it. As I got closer he told me the servo for the elevator was screeching. Sure enough it was. Gears stripped and it never got air under her wings. No biggie though, at least I caught it before take off. Had I just gunned it and flown it, you guys may of been reading a very different story.

So I will be ordering a new servo, something metal geared and an RX this evening and will try again next weekend.

Orion
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
Good catch. The bad news is its not a good start for the product. Not even one flight and part are getting replaced. Let's hope it was just a glitch and not a sign.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:18 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Things I don't put stock in from manufacturers are servos and escs. I have had them conk out in Parkzone stuff all the way to FMS stuff. Its just luck of the draw. A servo lost on the ground is something I can live with and it doesn't break my heart. Its a $20-$30 fix on a plane and I almost always change out the elevator servo for an HS-82MG just because of the durability and reliability.

Orion
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:35 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Just some pictures from today.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
The plane looks so good I hope it all works out. I agree on the gear. I have a fantasy racer and changed all the servos before I ever flew it based on the posts here.