SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:46 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,179 Posts
No coupon for BH. Being waiting for weeks.
Probably wont see any discount till the next
Holiday. But then the plane may be out of stock
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:49 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,179 Posts
BH finally have Will Call so you can pick the plane intead of shipped.
but they charges $5 for Will Call services. Go fig
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:46 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Spare Parts?

I'm close to buying this, but an concerned about spare parts. BH doesn't carry many and I've not been able to find a source. Has anyone found a place to get parts for this? What about the prop? BH doesn't offer spares, it appears the prop is a 14x8x3. Has anyone replaced the original prop? If so, what did you use? Thanks!
Brad
bradm5312 is offline Find More Posts by bradm5312
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:32 PM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,052 Posts
Cg

Has anyone attempted to fly this Pitts with the CG back from the recommended setting? The promo video from Pete at Banana Hobby shows his battery under the straps, not forward up against the firewall.

Mfpage
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Last edited by mfpage; Sep 26, 2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: ...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:39 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpage View Post
Has anyone attempted to fly this Pitts with the CG back from the recommended setting? The promo video from Pete at Banana Hobby shows his battery under the straps, not forward up against the firewall.

Mfpage
I PM'd Pete about it but he never responded.

I have flown mine aft of the recommended CG but it wasn't willingly. The battery fits in its spot up on the firewall very well and snugly. However a few flights ago I had not gotten it all the way in place. Thankfully I run my lipo leads through the straps for just an occasion. The lipo cam out and never went further back than the forward most strap. When flying I didn't really notice much as I was cranking hard on the plane. Hovering though seemed somewhat improved. I thought I was getting better till I landed and saw the lipo had come out. With the lipo back that far, if you give up elevator to initiate a flair, the tail drops rather than the nose lifting. Made my landing a bit rough but nothing you can't handle. I think if I had done it intentionally I would of been ready for it. I don't think the strap is the best location for this lipo. Needs to be forward but maybe not quite to the fire wall.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Last edited by Orion Pax; Sep 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:52 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well my Pitts will be operating off grass tomorrow for the first time. Should be fun.

Orion
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:11 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
771 Posts
Have you guys seen this mans repaint of the FMS Pitts.....
Amazing! he also mentions in another video his modification for the wing strut....
FMS BIPLANE MAIDEN (13 min 3 sec)
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,656 Posts
i have to agree awesome paint job. great tips at the end of the video as well
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:28 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Nice video. He mentioned that he changed out the landing gear for some reason. I didn't catch why. Did anybody else? My stock gear works fine and I flew it 3 times off soggy wet grass today. I haven't noticed any wing flex on my wing tips when using my ailerons. I would like to see what he is referring too and a close up of his mod. One other thing to note is I fly with a 3700 mAh 6s 65c lipo. I have it all the way to the front and I balance right at 90mm. The plane actually flies a little nose heavy and probably can go back to 95mm from the leading edge. He mentioned using a 5000mAh all the way to the front and adding more weight to the nose plus the added weight of the new gear. How is this thing being balanced? That is gobs of weight compared to mine. He must have a ton of up elevator trim to fly level.

Nice video but some of his information doesn't add up. Not saying its wrong, just need more details. Wouldn't want anyone modding something based upon info that may or may not be necessary and could cause someone to loose a plane.

Orion
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:45 PM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,052 Posts
OP, glad you were successful with your Pitts flying & landing off grass. I'm hope she is a hoot to fly. My plan is to order for Christmas and in the mean time hope for a discount or promo from BH.

Mfpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Nice video. He mentioned that he changed out the landing gear for some reason. I didn't catch why. Did anybody else? My stock gear works fine and I flew it 3 times off soggy wet grass today. I haven't noticed any wing flex on my wing tips when using my ailerons. I would like to see what he is referring too and a close up of his mod. One other thing to note is I fly with a 3700 mAh 6s 65c lipo. I have it all the way to the front and I balance right at 90mm. The plane actually flies a little nose heavy and probably can go back to 95mm from the leading edge. He mentioned using a 5000mAh all the way to the front and adding more weight to the nose plus the added weight of the new gear. How is this thing being balanced? That is gobs of weight compared to mine. He must have a ton of up elevator trim to fly level.

Nice video but some of his information doesn't add up. Not saying its wrong, just need more details. Wouldn't want anyone modding something based upon info that may or may not be necessary and could cause someone to loose a plane.

Orion
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,656 Posts
Quote:

Orion
it is kindve suspect that he had to add sooo much weight, it probably from the paint , but it could also be he got the very first batch,
i had purchased a Dynam peaks special, (pitts) and i had to add lead to the front and also push the battery all the way toward the firewall, my 2nd Dynam peaks was the total opposite it fit right in the battery slot and had to push it further in . i just hope i dont have to add weight to the front if that is the case i will be buying a larger cap battery i hate to add weight to my planes.the onlu mod i like is the reinforcement of the wings even iff it isnt neccessary its good insurance for hi speed dives (thats only me though)
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:03 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Couldn't be any earlier of a batch than mine. As far as I know I had one of, if not the first one of the first batch BH had in stock. I was pretty quick on the buy button for this one.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Couldn't be any earlier of a batch than mine. As far as I know I had one of, if not the first one of the first batch BH had in stock. I was pretty quick on the buy button for this one.
true ,who knows why his ship is so nose heavy . regarless to what ,im still gona get one .
on a side note how was your grass take off and landing
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:46 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
It was great. I actually prefer it to pavement. When I land on pavement it always bounces. Landing in grass I greased almost every landing. Take off was a none event. Just hold some up elevator (Not needed but habit from other grass operations) to get rolling, release back pressure, apply throttle smoothly and then reapply back pressure for a text book take off. The rest is up to your enjoyment. A friend of mine took some great pictures and I hope to have them soon to share with you all here.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,656 Posts
Quote:
It was great. I actually prefer it to pavement. When I land on pavement it always bounces. Landing in grass I greased almost every landing. Take off was a none event. Just hold some up elevator (Not needed but habit from other grass operations) to get rolling, release back pressure, apply throttle smoothly and then reapply back pressure for a text book take off. The rest is up to your enjoyment. A friend of mine took some great pictures and I hope to have them soon to share with you all here.
good to know ,although theres a runway at my field . at other fields i vist ,someof them dont so now i know i can fly it off grass as well as a black top