HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2003, 03:10 PM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
twist-lock firewall?

Im tossing around ideas for my F3F design, and I can't find a suitable place to access the battery and equipment... The servos can be reached through the bottom wing hole, but shoving a battery through there may be tough.

My idea is to make a firewall tha thas tabs cut into it, that will insert, and twist to lock it in place. Of course the direction of twist will be in favor of motor torque (so the motor doesn't torque the firewall out!).

Behind the 'removable' firewall would be a tray with the battery on it, with the speed control there as well.

This will make it really easy to remove the motor mount, and access the battery... a servo extension may be needed for the speed control, but that also allows it to be mounted away from the Rx.

I know I'd trust it, would anyone else? Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2003, 03:33 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Sounds like a neat idea.
Whatever you decide to do, let us know how it worked out. Pics would be nice too
-Mike
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Nov 16, 2003, 03:36 PM
Nickel what?
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
aight...

I plan to build a test-bed to test the wings and airfoil (to check for incidence and etc), so I'll see about building the firewall just the same as well, and trying it out... at least then I only kill $10 worth of plane, instead of $75 + time spent, lol.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 03:36 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I'm with Mike on this. Pictures would be great! I think it's a cool idea. Rare earth magnets could help with alignment and securing it in.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Nov 16, 2003, 03:57 PM
Nickel what?
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
Im hoping for a good friction fit, but we all know what happens to those after a few hundred cycles... I was thinking of dowles or something to positively locate them...
Old Nov 16, 2003, 04:44 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Spring loaded ?

Here is an idea for a spring loaded dowel, I think. See the attached pic.
The blue is the fixed part of the fuse that the lugs of the rotating firewall (red) 'screws' into. The Green is a dowel that slides into a hole in the rotating part under spring tension. It always is in sliding contactw/ the fixed fuse. Of course you'd have to make the left end of the dowel assy so that you could reach it to push for release. Hope this clear. Left is forward, right is rearwards.
-Mike
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Last edited by FlyByMike; Nov 16, 2003 at 04:48 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 05:19 PM
Nickel what?
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
thats one of the ideas I had... wouldn't be too hard ot make it work.