HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, IL
Joined Jun 2012
94 Posts
Discussion
Main Gear Problem on Walkera Genius CP

Have a relatively new Walkera Genius CP. Very happy with it so far, but today while flying it, after I landed I couldn't take off again. Not sure why, I took a close look at everything. I noticed it was making strange sound. It was then that I noticed the main gear had slid down from the main shaft. I pushed it back up and loosened the grommet on the main shaft and slid it down and retightened it.

Now each and every time I fly then land and try to take off again the gear slides down. There is no way that I can keep it tight, since there is no grommet or screw and collar on the underside that I can tighten to hold it in place.

Anyone experience this, and if so, what kind of a fix did you do? I believe loctite
will damage plastic.

Don

Fuzzyguy is offline Find More Posts by Fuzzyguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
I've never had the gear loosen up on a main shaft but the mainshaft collar slipping is common. It's good that it slips in a crash similar to how the mcpx main gears slides down absorbing some crash energy but it will start to slip in flight. I found a delrin slip fit main shaft collar on Taobao that fits really snugly and doesn't let the collar slide unless in a hard crash. The v120do2s uses a metal main shaft collar with the same i.d. Or a tiny bit of ca will also hold things together.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
i wonder if your main gear has a crack in the hub or main shaft is split. i would order both of them just in case. loctite is only for metal on metal as far as i know.
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, IL
Joined Jun 2012
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
I've never had the gear loosen up on a main shaft but the mainshaft collar slipping is common. It's good that it slips in a crash similar to how the mcpx main gears slides down absorbing some crash energy but it will start to slip in flight. I found a delrin slip fit main shaft collar on Taobao that fits really snugly and doesn't let the collar slide unless in a hard crash. The v120do2s uses a metal main shaft collar with the same i.d. Or a tiny bit of ca will also hold things together.
Miller time,
Please tell me what CA is? Can't figure out what you mean. Are you talking about crazy glue?

Don
Fuzzyguy is offline Find More Posts by Fuzzyguy
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyguy View Post
Miller time,
Please tell me what CA is? Can't figure out what you mean. Are you talking about crazy glue?

Don
CA - Cyanoacrylate, called "Super glue" in some places.
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,203 Posts
bah, it's most likely the collar slipped down some....just hold the collar tight and press up on the main gear with a little force....you should get a little click as it set into place and all will be well again.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Sep 2013
1 Posts
Slippage

Ok, I recently bought a MiNi CP and have the main gear slippage problem as well. I am constantly having to push the rotor head and battery together to get it to sit properly/snugly on the shaft. I'm a little worried of the superglue method.. but i guess a little alcohol would loosen it up.

Another issue I have is that the canopy can't stand a single crash and it protects the circuit board... I've almost completely covered the CP with tape that has fiber strands in it due to all the cracks.

I still love this little bird, but man that slipping problem is a pain in the butt!!
xxzjxx is offline Find More Posts by xxzjxx
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:09 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,811 Posts
ca will not harm nothing. coat the end easy and let it dry. Locktite will not harm it either. Shaft is carbon . Spread ca thin on end. Also check main shft sounds like it cracked. I have two Genius c/p's and mini c/p and never had any issues. Gear moves down push it back up. Gear will not stay you have cracked or broken main shaft. Nodby mentions how many times they crashed heli.

Even best flyers crash, depends on how bad. Noobies are fast to say heli is at fault. Remove shaft and twist it , if cracked it will show. Be easy with ca. if not you will learn quick when you get stuff all over. To break or crack a main shaft you hit real hard.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04