HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:46 AM
MM450 Perfectionist
The Woodlands, TX
Joined Dec 2009
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Hey Johnny this is what I've found with the rear shock. Basically too quick a rebound ( spring not controlled effectively ) causes front flipping and inconsistent jumping and landing.  Too much pack can also cause a similar effect but not with the bike as it comes out of the box. With the standard shock you have a small volume of oil being forced through a two hole piston. Also it doesnt use the full amount of travel.  Yes you will improve things with heavier oil but. With a big bore, the shock has a massive amount of oil in comparison, also this large volume of oil is being forced through a six hole piston in comparison. More oil through more holes = better control of the rear end. Like using two extra standard shocks. This also allows you to use a thicker oil to control the shaft speed without affecting its ability to take the hard sharp hits.  ( find a sweet compromise ) It also has more travel  ( limit the travel so the tyre doesn't rub ) so this gives the bike even better bump and jump handling ability. In my opinion it handles everything way better and with more predictability. I can hit some big bumps on full brakes and not look like front flipping where as  with the standard shock I'd be cartwheeling.  You  just need to find the correct oil weight that is the best for conditions ( ie slower speed or really sharp edged bumps, lighter oil to higher speeds and more rolling bumps and relatively smoother tracks, heavier oil ). In Chris's testing he tried a one hole piston to try and slow up the shaft speed this wouldn't have the ability to cope with hard hits well as the oil is being forced through one single hole causing too much packing of the rear shock. Try some things and see what suits you.
so the alloy shock that comes with the MM450 or the red upgrade version is not enough???
rpedro is offline Find More Posts by rpedro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:12 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpedro View Post
so the alloy shock that comes with the MM450 or the red upgrade version is not enough???
Yes the alloy shock is better than the standard plastic shock. But I believe the big bore shocks to be better again. Not a standard fit. Have to adapt. Is quite easy though.
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More bike fun
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
Check out these bikes. The red one is set up softer and the yellow one is harder. Both have big bore Hot Bodies front buggy shocks. I think the harder set up looks best the bike doesn't move over bumps and bobbles less. Feels great to drive/ ride.
VMX450 (11 min 7 sec)

This is not a groomed track, is an open paddock with lots of hidden rocks bumps and lumps.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 27, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:19 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
Here's a couple of slow mos of the bike and suspension working. Now I've got these I might even be able to improve it again.
VMX450 (0 min 35 sec)

On this one There are two kickers on braking, one after the first little step on step off type jump and then one really bad one before the sweeper.
VMX450 (0 min 41 sec)

This one shows a good drift and wheelie and some small jumps.
VMX450 (1 min 9 sec)

And this is the big skate park jump.
VMX450 (0 min 16 sec)
)
The way I set up my forks also has a bearing on the way the bike handles kickers and fast bumps that would send the normal bike cartwheeling. By having quite stiff forks ( still smooth and use all the travel ) ( see VMX fork forum ) the front end of the bike absorbs a lot of the hard impacts and is kept light over them allowing the front end to stay above the rear staying in control, similar to lofting the front and keeping it light on a real bike. The bike still steers incredibly well. If anything the bike is even more stable and quick to turn. I am very impressed with the bikes handling. Only want to help others to be as happy with theirs as I am with mine.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 28, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:28 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,650 Posts
Impressive
Kev71H is online now Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev71H View Post
Impressive
Thanks Kev have no problem sharing changes to bike.
Here's some more less than perfect jumps.
VMX450 (2 min 7 sec)

Can't wait for your RC replica bike. Should be trick Johnny.
Can't help playing, slowly learning.
VMX450 (1 min 34 sec)

I love slow mo.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 29, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:43 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
Hey Johnny, been playing around and getting the hang of things, put one on the VMX forum this one the colour is good, always forget to put some good things in, but still good action.
Vinnies about to go into retirement, then the adventures of Deegan will begin.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:08 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,780 Posts
The new vids are good. That backflip was sweet - nice little jumping spot. I like how your now starting to think about mixing clips together and now your adding slow motion too. I love slow motion too. What I tried to do in my last vid was mix in both regular speed with slow motion to demonstrate both speed of bike at normal rate, but get the cool stuff in slow motion. Just one request though, its getting a little redundant seeing the same clips over n over, even if they are clipped in different ways. Sorry.

I was looking at 1/8 front shocks on ebay. Looks like those HB big bore you mentioned are same as the hpi vorza flux big bores. I dont know, but I see a lot of optional pistons and parts for AE 1/8 rc8 big bore fronts.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
MM450 Perfectionist
The Woodlands, TX
Joined Dec 2009
242 Posts
WOW!!! really sweet vids... love them...
rpedro is offline Find More Posts by rpedro
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:20 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
The new vids are good. That backflip was sweet - nice little jumping spot. I like how your now starting to think about mixing clips together and now your adding slow motion too. I love slow motion too. What I tried to do in my last vid was mix in both regular speed with slow motion to demonstrate both speed of bike at normal rate, but get the cool stuff in slow motion. Just one request though, its getting a little redundant seeing the same clips over n over, even if they are clipped in different ways. Sorry.

I was looking at 1/8 front shocks on ebay. Looks like those HB big bore you mentioned are same as the hpi vorza flux big bores. I dont know, but I see a lot of optional pistons and parts for AE 1/8 rc8 big bore fronts.
Hey Johnny yes it is a great spot for FMX, nearly took Deegan there today for a session but decided to try the local track. Holes a few inches deep and massive rocks hanging out of the track, got around ok, slow through the tight stuff but some good slides in the faster areas and jumped well. Track is deco granite so really skatey but handled it no worries. Great shame to see Chris going. Very sad news. Just when his baby has been released. Just playing around with the clips trying to get the hang of things. Imagine how many times ive watched them putting them together, i understand time for some new action.The more i play the more i learn though. The adventures of Deegan are beginning. I looked at SG and HB front shocks and they looked the same. I'm sure associated would work ok. If you want I can check my mates next time I see him and let you know. The fast version of this is on the MM forum. Oh it's funny when I look at my stuff at normal speed, now it looks in fast motion, weird. With my big 6000 batteries I used to get 11 or 12 minutes run time with the VMX around my track. Now with the MM I get about 17 minutes. Wow.
MM450 (1 min 49 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 31, 2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:24 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpedro View Post
WOW!!! really sweet vids... love them...
Thanks am improving. Next up more Deegan.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:38 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
I can do a write up or two for you, just tell me how to post it or email it to you to post?
Sorry, missed your post. Would like to take you up on the offer at some point but no rush (too many things going on)! Im sure you got a lot on your plate, bikes may be last thing you want to deal with. Just to chat about ideas when your up to it in future email me at: jkm at rcdirtbikeaction.com
Last edited by JohnnyMc; Oct 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: update link
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:01 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
Just checking things.
MM450 (0 min 33 sec)

Had some changes to server not sure what's what.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5295215&stc=1
Well there you go John, apple have lifted their game. I can now post pics obviously ha ha.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:42 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,780 Posts
Been busy trying to balance family life and rc dirt bikes and the website. The flu has been passed around this house like 3 times since December and its draining me lol. I got caught up on some tips for the MM450 over the holidays so thanks for the help everyone. Still lots to do mainly setup sheets and bike details. Looking forward to a good year in rc dirt bikes thanks to the e-gyro. Im hoping this year I can focus on getting racing started. I started with posting a gallery of photos from a Germany Ricky Race going back to 2006. If Ricky could race in 2006, surely the mm450 is ready in 2013 right? I have some thoughts I will share about that in a post soon.

Finally, some very cool news just out is the release of a bearing kit for the Atomik MM450 by Team FastEddy Bearings so hope owners appreciate an outside company supporting our hobby: http://www.fasteddybearings.com/atom...e-bearing-kit/

My RV replica bike is going, slowly. Body is painted so now Im painting the deegan rider. Then make some stickers and then I can get out there and have some fun.

Feel free to post any suggestions.