HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Help!
Can I usebattery charger as power supply to Foam cutter?

Hello guys,

I am completely new to this forum and this is my first question.
I new to this hobby and want to make my own aircraft from EPS foam.
I have dx5e radio and learning to fly on Phoenix RC Simulator V3.

I have ordered 50A Esc, 3750mah 50C 11.1v Battery, Imax b6 battery charger, C2850 1000kv 30A brushless motor....

I tried to cut EPS foam yesterday with exacto knife but it is big pain. So i think i will need to make my own foam cutter. I have heard guitar string is good solution.

I have a few questions:
- Which Guitar staring to use? (String E? or gauge 16? or any other alternative)
- What to use for power supply? (i have 12v 5a power supply, but can I use Battery Charger for precise voltage and current control, can i put it under niMh charging mode and fix charging current and voltage and use it to give power to foam cutter?)
serious.sam is offline Find More Posts by serious.sam
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,293 Posts
In my early days I used .020" wire, speaker wire and alligator clips to my car battery. It worked! If the wire is cold, you can shorten span of wire, or use larger diameter wire.

Have fun!
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:05 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
I know there will be many replies to this age old question, but I can tell you that an "E" string that is 0.009" will do fine. You will want it to not cool down too much and still melt through during your cutting pass at a not too fast speed. Voltage & current regulation/control is not a bad thing, however using a light dimmer on 115Vac inputed into say a 12 volt output transformer will give you the control you need. I've seen one guy install a light dimmer into a 7 amp car battery charger box. You could attempt it on a bench with a "pig tail" however be sure to safely work around the 115Vac. He cuts 6" thick sections at about 12" in 20 seconds.

The guitar wire is a good choice. You want a wire with as much nickel as possible. Try a music store and buy .009, .010. 011 .012. They go for less than a dollar per string.

Also there are 2 types of light dimmers, one for motors and one just for lamps. Since you will be going into a transformer, I may elect for the slightly more expensive one (less than $10) that works w/ AC motors. The battery charger should have as big of a transformer as you can afford, say 20 amps. The ampmeter on the front panel can help you control your power also. So the solution is fairly low tech, however you will need a wire that acts like a nirachrome heater wire w/ alot of nickel (music wire) and a decent sized transformer and a way to adjust your power setting and monitor it.

Hope this helps, also there are many references to this question as many have done exactly what you're doing, so you potiently will have alot of reading to do. Also try youtube searching "DIY Foamcutter".

Doug
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,457 Posts
I'm not familiar with Imax b6, but these smart chargers do monitor battery voltage before and during charge. Since your guitar wire doesn't generate any voltage, the charger will complain about "connection error", "battery undervolt" or something like that and refuse to output any power. On the other hand they may have a dedicated "power supply mode" just for these situations. I don't know if b6 has it, you will need to consult the manual for details.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
And here is where those old model train transformers work quite well.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:28 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,443 Posts
If you look in the Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forum you'll find lots of information about making hot wire foam cutters. http://www.rcgroups.com/foamies-scratchbuilt-428/

Some chargers have a foam cutting mode but I don't know if yours is one of them (I use a variable power supply or an old brushed ESC/servo tester and 12V battery).

I've not had much luck with guitar strings, I find they tend to heat unevenly but if you want to try it a 9 or 10 thou E is apparently the one to use.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:33 AM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
The B6 is flymsy enough, it's good for batteries only.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,309 Posts
I use my swallow charger on the NiXX settings as a cutter, much safer than transformers and the like as it has in built protection if the wire breaks, you get a short etc. It also means you can dial in the amount of amps you want and repeat it as many times as you like straight up if you write it down somewhere.

Occasionally I need to trick it by giving it a wiggle on the connector on the hot wire cos it gets stuck at a really low amperage, and mine does have a time limit (2min I think) that it will cut for before finishing the 'charge'.

Steve
flyonline is online now Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
You know something, I agree with you. Using low voltage is safer (personally), and the seemingly endless control with a computerized charger would be very versatile. I know the B6 charger is only a low power (120 watts?), so I would not recommend it. Mine failed after a year w/ the balancing input gone crazy, but it still works in {charge} mode only- no balancing.

Good fly'in
Doug
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:30 PM
no points for speed
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2009
22 Posts
I've never done any cutting but I've done some research. I've heard that Rene wire is the best.
http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/acc.../renewire.html
Michael Hancock said (on his podcast, www.thecrashcast.com) that he prefers Rene wire and he is a very experienced scratch builder.
bradley2j is offline Find More Posts by bradley2j
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:11 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,309 Posts
Another cheap option is stainless fishing trace, somewhere between 25-50lb should sort you out. The thinner stuff cuts nicer and has less over burn particularly on the TE, but breaks more easily than the heavier stuff. I've been using 44lb stuff for ages and it's still going strong - just make sure you make up a system where you can really crank the tension up and let it off when not in use.

Steve
flyonline is online now Find More Posts by flyonline