Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by typicalaimster, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:34 AM
Austrian FPV Freak
Austria
Joined Sep 2008
234 Posts
Floodfighters, illegal Street-Racing and Ponies on the field (RCSchim - TBS Discovery

My latest Multicopter Vid:
Floodfighters, illegal Street-Racing and Ponies on the field (RCSchim - TBS Discovery) (4 min 59 sec)

They build a huge flood pool to fight against river floods. Once it's done it will be more of an lake - unfortunately they fill it only in emergencies - so we don't get a new lake for the next summer...
Yeah and the streetracing kids are fun, as long as they don't crash in other cars!
schim is offline Find More Posts by schim
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,820 Posts
Nice flight! and nice music (I used the same song a few months back) Mcleod makes some great music!
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,549 Posts
Guys check this one out!

PopWing FPV Compilation I :: First Exposure (4 min 10 sec)

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Montreal and New Hampshire 2014
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:28 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Oct 2010
283 Posts
Tip Stall Obliteration of Apprentice 15e

Nice test flight of a new wing over the prairie when all of a sudden a tip stall ruined my afternoon. The plane nose dived in a uncontrolled spiral from 350' ft plowing into a prairie dog mound in a field. What a mess! That was last week, though so, I'm trying to laugh again.

I was testing rth when it went into the stall.

(Left rudder, down elevator, might have helped, but it happened REALLY fast! Like about 12seconds from all good to crunch.)

Enjoy,
-Mike
PrarieDogsOfWar (0 min 45 sec)
rver157 is offline Find More Posts by rver157
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:33 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Is it really possible to tip stall the apprentice? With a straight wing like that, I would think it would be
very unlikely. I abused one pretty hard flying LoS and never got it to drop a tip. Looked more like the '
RTH drove it straight into a spiral dive. Has it ever happened before when RTH was not engaged?
Would like to see that final sequence without all the cuts.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
hey whats burning?
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Oct 2007
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Is it really possible to tip stall the apprentice? With a straight wing like that, I would think it would be
very unlikely. I abused one pretty hard flying LoS and never got it to drop a tip. Looked more like the '
RTH drove it straight into a spiral dive. Has it ever happened before when RTH was not engaged?

ian
I was thinking the same thing.
metalbender4by is offline Find More Posts by metalbender4by
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:38 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Perhaps the dumbest thing I have ever tried under the hood. This is why I don't fly range.

Quarter mile tree corridor unedited (0 min 44 sec)

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,480 Posts
Phase 3 Squall FPV

I dusted off my Squall edf and put some video gear back on. I had two flights tonight and it was a blast to fly. I did my first FPV aerobatics. Hope you enjoy it.

Phase3 Squall FPV (12 min 13 sec)
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Twinstar II
Twinstar Sunset Clouds (4 min 9 sec)
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Oct 2010
283 Posts
2 tip stalls

Quote:

ian
Here are 2 tip stalls. First with standard apprentice 15e wing and a quick dihedral recovery. Second, the end of clip you asked for with a extended wing.

Bad settings on the rth probably did put the plane in the position to stall on the second fatal crash. The first clips stall was under manual control.

Let me know what you think. I'm rebuilding the long wing now with 4degrees washout in hopes of avoiding a repeat performance.

-Mike

TipStalls2 (0 min 50 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:10 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
2nd spin doesn't make any sense. It looked like it was in a fairly steep
dive before it went into the spin so very little chance of any type of stall. Normally what you see
just before a tip stall, is the nose going high, and the speed going way down.
Dunno what the wind was like, but OSD showed ground speed was very high. I'm
guessing your longer wing couldn't take the speed, and twisted suddenly.

I've not posted this vid in this thread before now, but since we're on the subject of stalls
and spins, here's some intentional spin testing I did with my X8 this summer. Check out the
view of the horizon before each one.
FPV - X8 - Spin baby spin (8 min 24 sec)

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
United States, MA, Sturbridge
Joined Jun 2008
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rver157 View Post
Bad settings on the rth probably did put the plane in the position to stall on the second fatal crash. The first clips stall was under manual control.
https://vimeo.com/51332133
I dont think that was a stall. Your speed was 50, even with wind you were going to fast to stall..
slowjett is online now Find More Posts by slowjett
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Oct 2010
283 Posts
Quote:
2nd spin doesn't make any sense. It looked like it was in a fairly steep
dive before it went into the spin so very little chance of any type of stall. Normally what you see
just before a tip stall, is the nose going high, and the speed going way down.
Dunno what the wind was like, but OSD showed ground speed was very high. I'm
guessing your longer wing couldn't take the speed, and twisted suddenly.

I've not posted this vid in this thread before now, but since we're on the subject of stalls
and spins, here's some intentional spin testing I did with my X8 this summer. Check out the
view of the horizon before each one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh8PbcFY_Gg

ian
Really nice video and testing Ian. The wing certainly could have flexed a lot. I don't believe the Eagletree GPS much though for the speed or altitude. Notice that I crashed ~300feet above the ground according to the OSD... I'll make the wing more stiff. Good point, I hadn't thought about the flexing causing the stall.

Thanks,
Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:27 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rver157 View Post
Nice test flight of a new wing over the prairie when all of a sudden a tip stall ruined my afternoon. The plane nose dived in a uncontrolled spiral from 350' ft plowing into a prairie dog mound in a field. What a mess! That was last week, though so, I'm trying to laugh again.

I was testing rth when it went into the stall.

(Left rudder, down elevator, might have helped, but it happened REALLY fast! Like about 12seconds from all good to crunch.)

Enjoy,
-Mike
http://vimeo.com/51324030
loved the editing and I am glad to see this is not going to be the end of the apprentice videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks View Post
great flight ! stunning trip to the clouds, thanks for sharing
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:43 AM
One with the machine
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2010
392 Posts
disco-fpv-unreleased.wmv (6 min 49 sec)
SuperFPVflyer is offline Find More Posts by SuperFPVflyer