HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:53 AM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Discussion
28" Nieuport 28

I was ask to show some of my building of my reduced 52" Ziroli Nieuport 28 for a .40-.060 size engine. These plans are free on the internet.
I was looking for a WW1 type bi-plane to build, and came across this pdf on line, and thought I would build it, till I came across the one I really wanted to build. As if I need something else, I already have a bench full of plans to build this winter, some I have already cut into kits. Phaeton, Rata I-16 & I-153, P40, P39, and a few others, most around 28-30" I don't buy kits anymore, just get plans and make them the size I want, turn them into kits by hand, I enjoy the building side of this hobby more than the flying, but I "Do" enjoy flying them also!

I resized the pdf using "ScaleAndTile3" which is a good program! I reduce the plans and printed them off. and then I made the templates I needed and glued them to the balsa using 3M 77, I made the complete kit, and then started to build it.

First I started with the fuse, because I needed to think of how I was going to make the wings removeable, and how/where to install the servo's These Ziroli plans don't help with any info of that type, and lots of other places. defintely not a beginners build.

Pat
Toysareforkids is offline Find More Posts by Toysareforkids
Last edited by Toysareforkids; Jul 19, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:12 AM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Mounting of the stab took some thinking, as it needed to be the right incidence, and level to the flat on the bottom of the firewall. So I blocked it up and shimed it till it was right on.then glude it into place.

I then started to sheet the front half with 1/16 balsa, that I wet and rubberband to a can of the right size and let dry for 20 hrs. I used 4 pieces to sheet it.
I then made the wing struts from 1/8" light plywood. and cut sluts and glued them in also.

Pat
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:18 AM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Next will be building the wings form my "wings in a bag"
Which for some reason, I can't find those pictures anywhere, of building them!
But I do have pictures of mounting them.

Pat
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined May 2010
38 Posts
It all looks great! I hope it will be as good a flyer as it is a looker. Thanks for showing us.

Bob
fit90 is offline Find More Posts by fit90
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Sep 2010
144 Posts
I can tell from the shop as well as the model that a true master is at work. Can't wait to see more.
Gooroo is offline Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:24 AM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Thanks guy's.
Here are some more pictures. Well I don't have the building of the wings pictures, but I have some of how I mounted them.

I set up my level stuff I can on a 1/4" sheet of ground stainless steel plate I have from my Tool & Die days. I set the fuse level side to side and front to back, and then shimed the wing till it was at the incidence I wanted.I then tacked glued it in place, to a removeable box I built into the belly of the fuse, and let it setup.
I then removed the wing and finished gluing it. I then sheeted the box to match the shape of the fuse. I didn't know how I was going to hold the wing in yet.

But I was thinking about it while I was mounting it, and came up with the wing is held in by one 8/32 nylon screw, and a 1/8" dowel. But it drops straight out the bottom, it does not pivot out. So the pin has to be pull out of the way to get the wing out, after the screw is removed. I drilled through a 1/4" dowel and drilled a hole through the wing for a hard mount in the wing, and glue some 1/8" plywood to the fuse, and drilled & tapped it I made a removeable cover for a hatch over the landing gear that pulled forward to pull the 1/8" pin in the front of the wing, and now it 's mounted.

When I built the lower wing I drilled .052 holes into 1/8" dowels and used it for bearing tubes for the .047 wire I used for the aileron torque rods, and installed them into where the rods go into the ailerons for a hard point. Of course I thought of this after I built the wings. so I had to drill and bend the wire in place!

I use glue-in hinges. I cut them into 6 and punch a 1/8" hole in the middle of them to soften them up.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:30 AM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Some more pictures
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
How about a pic with the whole (calico) cat?

Nice work!

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:34 PM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Which one? There is five of them! They are my inspectors/helpers, one is always helping out with a build.

Pat
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysareforkids View Post
Which one? There is five of them! They are my inspectors/helpers, one is always helping out with a build.

Pat
Pat,

Lucky you! Thanks for sharing the pics. Like ours, they seem to like boxes, as well as being "with" their peeps (humans).

Do they think your neatly-organized tools are their toys?

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:30 PM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Sorry for the delay

I built the top wing in the usual way. But I did find that the right wing panel, center rib to second rib, was to far apart which would have caused the strut mounts out of line with all the others.
I set the plane back up in the jig to set the top wing incidence right.
I made the struts from 1/8 lite ply, the same as the strut mount ribs in the wings. With the wing set in the jig, I clamped tne struts in plane, and one by one drilled and then reclamped them together. I then took it apart threaded the hyoles, and harden the screw threads with thin ca.

Pat
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:49 PM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Then I started to make a cowl. I glued up some soft 1/4", 3/16", 1/8". I then rough carved it to shape, and then wet some 1/16" and rubberband it around a can, and left over night. I then wraped it around it with some bands, let it dry over night. I'm using Elmer's wood glue on this. I then glued some 1/64 x 5/16 wide ply band to the inside for strength.
I then made three mounts from balsa, and thin ca soaked them, and then mounted the cowl. Center hole is still to small, but I will enlargen that later.

Pat
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:10 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
445 Posts
Nice workmanship.

I am following your build with interest.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:09 AM
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
292 Posts
Nice build !

As a dog lover, I have had some thinking looking at your cats. And here is what I have come up to: you're better-off with five cats than with five dogs, especially on your building table.
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:36 PM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_BB View Post
Nice build !

As a dog lover, I have had some thinking looking at your cats. And here is what I have come up to: you're better-off with five cats than with five dogs, especially on your building table.

We did have a dog, but had to put her down last year. She thought she was cat though, just a bigger cat.