4,797 Posts
The new durafly mk 24 spit looks awesome 😃
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:44 AM
Vertical? Who, me?
Goodwood, South Australia
Joined Feb 2010
211 Posts
That Sea Vixen looks real nice indeed, I wonder how many remember or know about the sad day at Farnborough in 1952 when John Derry was killed as well as some members of the public when the prototype DH110 broke up in flight with the two engines going into the crowd, sad start for such a great aeroplane.

It had some wooden construction in it's fuselage too, (as did the Vampire, see pic below) just like its famous WW2 cousin. I saw one awaiting restoration somewhere in Oz years ago, wish I could find the photo's but in front of the windshield with all the paint missing it was clearly made from wood, much of it rotting away.
As we know De Havilland had a lot of experience with wooden airframes, Comet, Albatross, Mossie of course, Hornet, plus the two above, maybe more..

What we really need though is the mighty English Electric Lightning and a Vulcan in the same scale. Please!!!
Then the Victor, VC10, Gnat, Canberra, Scimitar, Buccaneer etc, the cold war era, such a great time for British aviation.

Doing a fantastic job there Scott and Hobby King, keep it up and well done to all, thank you. Just need to finance them all somehow!
What a refreshing change though, all this new stuff coming from HK and with a CS dept that has become very prompt indeed, (on Lancaster matters at least, very satisfactory outcome, much, much better than LHS would ever do).
EELightningFan is offline Find More Posts by EELightningFan
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
The Balsa Farmer
United States, AR, Sherwood
Joined Jul 2005
515 Posts
Ready for maiden

bassfisher is offline Find More Posts by bassfisher
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:23 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EELightningFan View Post
That Sea Vixen looks real nice indeed, I wonder how many remember or know about the sad day at Farnborough in 1952 when John Derry was killed as well as some members of the public when the prototype DH110 broke up in flight with the two engines going into the crowd, sad start for such a great aeroplane.

It had some wooden construction in it's fuselage too, (as did the Vampire, see pic below) just like its famous WW2 cousin. I saw one awaiting restoration somewhere in Oz years ago, wish I could find the photo's but in front of the windshield with all the paint missing it was clearly made from wood, much of it rotting away.
As we know De Havilland had a lot of experience with wooden airframes, Comet, Albatross, Mossie of course, Hornet, plus the two above, maybe more..

What we really need though is the mighty English Electric Lightning and a Vulcan in the same scale. Please!!!
Then the Victor, VC10, Gnat, Canberra, Scimitar, Buccaneer etc, the cold war era, such a great time for British aviation.

Doing a fantastic job there Scott and Hobby King, keep it up and well done to all, thank you. Just need to finance them all somehow!
What a refreshing change though, all this new stuff coming from HK and with a CS dept that has become very prompt indeed, (on Lancaster matters at least, very satisfactory outcome, much, much better than LHS would ever do).
+1 Scott and hobbyking are setting a new standard in rc, something it seems a lot of companies seem to find it hard to do.

I might add a couple of aircraft to your list, the talked about Gloster Meteor, sea hawk, and the Gloster Javelin.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
Vertical? Who, me?
Joined Feb 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
+1 Scott and hobbyking are setting a new standard in rc, something it seems a lot of companies seem to find it hard to do.

I might add a couple of aircraft to your list, the talked about Gloster Meteor, sea hawk, and the Gloster Javelin.
Definate +1 on the Sea Hawk, a real pretty little jet, a bit underpowered but real nice though. My first ever plastic kit, remember the Airfix kits in the plastic bags..... me, I'm suddenly feeling very old...

Bassfisher, well done on the hi vis' markings, looks good to see something different, best of luck with the maiden, a mate is about to maiden Vampire his very shortly.
I gather they have no nasty surprises in store.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:48 PM
Vertical? Who, me?
Joined Feb 2010
211 Posts
A fantastic site for all things Sea Vixen by the men who knew them, including some observers tales, should be interesting considering where said ''observer'' is situated in the aircraft.
No worse than many aircrew who don't even have a window I guess, but...

http://www.seavixen.org/

Joy rides anyone?
The flat-ish perspex panel to the right of the cockpit is for the observer!
knows what he can observe from there!!

BTW, forgot the TSR-2 in the list, (and many more probably!)
Shame on the British Government for what they did to her.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:07 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Same thing they did with the Arrow, mate. Same technology used in both. You Deffinitely forgot.the Jaguar. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
309 Posts
Quote:
A fantastic site for all things Sea Vixen by the men who knew them, including some observers tales, should be interesting considering where said ''observer'' is situated in the aircraft.
No worse than many aircrew who don't even have a window I guess, but...

http://www.seavixen.org/

Joy rides anyone?
The flat-ish perspex panel to the right of the cockpit is for the observer!
knows what he can observe from there!!

BTW, forgot the TSR-2 in the list, (and many more probably!)
Shame on the British Government for what they did to her.
Anyone living in or visiting Brisbane might want know; there's a nicely restored SeaVixen on show at the Caloundra museum
aspyrs is online now Find More Posts by aspyrs
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
902 Posts
AT LAST ... Something other than eurofighters or mig29/f18/16 yawwn..

Brilliant ...
would love to see a Lightning, even in a 70mm (too big for anywhere i fly) but would be wonderfull to have one .. with a Vulcan we'd be close to heaven !!
you can hope i guess huh ..
looking forward to flight review on the Vixen

E.E.F. the observers location was known as the "coal hole" - thinking was they only needed to see the radar lol..

You'll like this web site I'm sure - http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co...ning/index.php
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:26 PM
Vertical? Who, me?
Joined Feb 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lud View Post
AT LAST ... Something other than eurofighters or mig29/f18/16 yawwn..

Brilliant ...
would love to see a Lightning, even in a 70mm (too big for anywhere i fly) but would be wonderfull to have one .. with a Vulcan we'd be close to heaven !!
you can hope i guess huh ..
looking forward to flight review on the Vixen

E.E.F. the observers location was known as the "coal hole" - thinking was they only needed to see the radar lol..

You'll like this web site I'm sure - http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co...ning/index.php
Hi Lud,
Couldn't agree more re the ''Yawn'' bit, (Mind you I do like the Mig 29) same goes with the warbird stuff, must be 234 Mustangs or Spitfires out there.
HK have come to the rescue there too with all sorts of interesting prototypes coming out in all sorts of era's too.

If you want a small Lightning I still have the details (and model for that matter, although it suffered some real bad hanger rash a little while back, she got squashed!!).
I made a small (21'' long) Lightning profile glider years ago for CG and stability test's for a Cox TD.051 pusher powered one. Recently I put radio and with a small outrunner on the back of the small test one and it flies beautifully, (hand launches vertically as it's the easiest way due to the torque roll being quite fast at hand launch speeds with a bit of throttle on to get ''on step''). Lightnings have to go vertical anyway

When launched vertically with left hand it can roll as much as it wants before you have time to get thumbs back on sticks, so to speak.
Would love to try HK's Contra-Rotating motors and props for a larger version of this model. With pushers the prop is pretty well invisible most of the time and with contra rotating props there would be zero torque rolling effect.
Anyway, both flew very well and the electric one can be flown in quite small area's.
PM me if you want details of build etc. Very easy to build and awesome fun to fly but very stable and not affected much by quite strong winds.

I couldn't remember the name for the Ob's place on the Sea Vixen, but yeah, ''Coal Hole'' that's it and quite appropriate really.
It's strange, but crew were placed in all sorts of horrible positions, many without any view of the outside world but this one just seems worse than most for some reason, very easy spot to feel ill in, one would would think

That Thunder and Lightning site is very good for spending time at, thank you.

--------------------------------

Howdy Rick, more and more people wanting Lightnings and Vulcans these days.
I still haven't got any further with that one for twin 70's, still at the plans stage.
I'm sure you understand.
Maybe if we all hope and pray enough, hint hint HK.

Who'd of thought of an EDF Sea Vixen a year ago, well done Scott and Co at Hobby King. looks very nice indeed, another ''must have''.

This has to be one of the most exciting times for the radio controlled model aircraft fraternity with all these unusual models and at such reasonable prices, can't imagine paying $200 for a box of sticks and some balsa sheet with printed outlines of formers on them anymore...
(Glad I did though)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:21 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
LOL. I remember those days too. The BARF/RTF is Deffinitely having its day. Who would have thought the Vixen would garner so much attention. Kudos to the HK gang for this one. They'll have a winner here. They'll also have a winner with a Lightning and/or Vulcan. I want a Jaguar too, but its for the selfish reason of not having to finish mine if they do make one. Hahahahaha. One thing for sure, except for a small, disco.tinued model from GAD, there's only one other Jag out there commercially and its for turbine. I think The Jag would be a winner too, especially if it was in the retirement, special orange/spotted Jaguar paint scheme.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:39 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
309 Posts
Quote:
Hi Lud,
Couldn't agree more re the ''Yawn'' bit, (Mind you I do like the Mig 29) same goes with the warbird stuff, must be 234 Mustangs or Spitfires out there.
HK have come to the rescue there too with all sorts of interesting prototypes coming out in all sorts of era's too.

If you want a small Lightning I still have the details (and model for that matter, although it suffered some real bad hanger rash a little while back, she got squashed!!).
I made a small (21'' long) Lightning profile glider years ago for CG and stability test's for a Cox TD.051 pusher powered one. Recently I put radio and with a small outrunner on the back of the small test one and it flies beautifully, (hand launches vertically as it's the easiest way due to the torque roll being quite fast at hand launch speeds with a bit of throttle on to get ''on step''). Lightnings have to go vertical anyway

When launched vertically with left hand it can roll as much as it wants before you have time to get thumbs back on sticks, so to speak.
Would love to try HK's Contra-Rotating motors and props for a larger version of this model. With pushers the prop is pretty well invisible most of the time and with contra rotating props there would be zero torque rolling effect.
Anyway, both flew very well and the electric one can be flown in quite small area's.
PM me if you want details of build etc. Very easy to build and awesome fun to fly but very stable and not affected much by quite strong winds.

I couldn't remember the name for the Ob's place on the Sea Vixen, but yeah, ''Coal Hole'' that's it and quite appropriate really.
It's strange, but crew were placed in all sorts of horrible positions, many without any view of the outside world but this one just seems worse than most for some reason, very easy spot to feel ill in, one would would think

That Thunder and Lightning site is very good for spending time at, thank you.

--------------------------------

Howdy Rick, more and more people wanting Lightnings and Vulcans these days.
I still haven't got any further with that one for twin 70's, still at the plans stage.
I'm sure you understand.
Maybe if we all hope and pray enough, hint hint HK.

Who'd of thought of an EDF Sea Vixen a year ago, well done Scott and Co at Hobby King. looks very nice indeed, another ''must have''.

This has to be one of the most exciting times for the radio controlled model aircraft fraternity with all these unusual models and at such reasonable prices, can't imagine paying $200 for a box of sticks and some balsa sheet with printed outlines of formers on them anymore...
(Glad I did though)
Was chatting to the people up at the Caloundra air museum about the "Coal Hole". Apparently, the rationale behind it was to give the navigator the best view of his screens, which in those days, did not have the greatest contrast performance. I think the FAW1 didn't even have the window in the top, although I could be wrong...
aspyrs is online now Find More Posts by aspyrs
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspyrs View Post
Was chatting to the people up at the Caloundra air museum about the "Coal Hole". Apparently, the rationale behind it was to give the navigator the best view of his screens, which in those days, did not have the greatest contrast performance. I think the FAW1 didn't even have the window in the top, although I could be wrong...
yup.. radar contrast was the culprit for the lousy Obs location.

I was lucky enough to get a chance to sit in this FAW1 (from Boscombe down) at RNAS Yeovilton for the 70th Anniversary in 2010.

You can can just see the frangible obs hatch and window.. not the best thing to try and get out of if the ejector seat failed

funny .. all these 1950's planes all have the same smell in the cockpit.. old rubber n metal,
I've been lucky to get my butt into a Hunter / Victor / Bucaneer / Vixen / Lightning / Cambera
The navs seat in a Cambera is VERY uncomfortable lol..and another black hole !!
check this out ... http://www.bywat.co.uk/xh136.html
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Closed Thread