HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:16 AM
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
Discussion
Methods of transporting Multicopters on a plane/long distance

Hi All,
I am planning to travel interstate in October with my carboncore 650mm hexacopter. I have to fly by plane to where I am going, hence I need a strong, foam lined case or something similar that I can pack my multirotor into with minimal dismantling. Obviously weight will be a factor too i need it as light as possible.

I plan to use this for transporting the hex in my car as well.

I have looked around the internet and am finding it hard to come up with something suitable. The pelican cases etc seem to be the right width, but not deep or high enough so it looks like I may have to go something custom. Plus the price of around $500 isn't getting me too excited.

I would prefer to be able to slide the whole hex in the case (only folding the arms in) so that I don't have to remove my camera mount, landing gear, etc. However if I can't find a solution like this, I am willing to go with one where I have to remove the gear/gimbal.

Does anyone know where I can find a foam lined hard case for my carbon core 650hex, or alternatively know of any ingenius methods of protecting your chopper for flying in an airplane.

I am going to have to deal with this issue all over again when I build up my 1000mm octo!!
slidins15 is offline Find More Posts by slidins15
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:14 AM
on the edge
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Jul 2012
185 Posts
You might try looking at drum hardware cases. They are designed to carry a lot of weight. You can find some that are foam lined. Special effect lightig road cases might also work.

You can also have a custom case built that should come in less than $500.00. You can either search for it online or go to a local mom and pop music store and they can help you have a case made to fit your needs.
franke is offline Find More Posts by franke
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:14 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,611 Posts
Here is what I use...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=nanuk

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:22 AM
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
for those interested, I found a case that looks like it will fit the carboncore hex in based on the internal dimensions. It is called an "SKB medium size drum hardware case". About $400

I searched everywhere and this is the best thing I could find with a balance between quality and price.
slidins15 is offline Find More Posts by slidins15
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:22 AM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Can always hit Craigs list up. I'll be living in the Dominican Republic for a few months next year and that's my plan. Get a used instrument case and get the foam separate.
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1