HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:33 AM
Steamy laser dude.
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -kno3- View Post
In that case, the leather pad will be messy and impossible to clean without dismantling.
Yes, this is true. But the engine is screwed into the wood, so taking it off won't be an issue. As the engine is used I imagine the leather will just get darker, which I am fine with. If it doesn't help contain mess, I'll just get rid of it. But it doesn't need to stay pristine.
SenorNeekers is offline Find More Posts by SenorNeekers
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:33 AM
Steamy laser dude.
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
262 Posts
The other day at work I printed off a test of the hull using a scrap of cardstock. It didn't assemble quite right, mostly due to me not marking centerlines or spacing correctly. But as a test run I would say it's a success.
Printing will likely take place in about a week. I've got a short vacation to go on. I am really hoping that these laser cut hulls turn out nice.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:54 PM
Steamy laser dude.
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
262 Posts
The moment you've all been waiting for, and by "all" I mean "some", and by "waiting for" I mean "perhaps thinking about once in a while".

As you can see, the pieces cut out nicely. Although I can already see some changes I'll make if I cut out another. Namely, I have make two number 5 bulkheads. This may mean that I don't have the appropriate bulkhead in its place. We shall have to see. Regardless, I am sure I can make this work.
I am currently uploading a video of the process to Youtube, for anyone who is curious to see the machine.

We shall have to see how this goes. Some friends of mine were suggesting that I launch a web-store selling boat kits. I can definitely see a market for easy to build kits that have a bit more appeal than most of the beginner boats out there. Maybe something like a paddle-wheeler would be nice to have laser cut pieces for with a simple assembly.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by SenorNeekers; Sep 08, 2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Too cool for school. Read: Proofreading.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:17 PM
Steamy laser dude.
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
262 Posts
The video is up, for anyone interested.

Laser Cutting Model Boat Components (3 min 28 sec)
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:28 PM
Mini-Me is watching you...
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
512 Posts
I want!
thenodemaster is offline Find More Posts by thenodemaster
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:21 AM
Austria, Vienna
Joined Mar 2008
485 Posts
How cool! You could get into the kit selling business.
-kno3- is offline Find More Posts by -kno3-
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:35 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,276 Posts
How are the lasercuters on power requirements?
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:34 PM
Steamy laser dude.
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel View Post
How are the lasercuters on power requirements?
Regards,
Gerald.
I couldn't give you specifics, but it isn't all that much. The main investment is the machine itself and the ventilation system. It plugs into a standard wall socket though, so there must not be too much energy usage.

Quote:
How cool! You could get into the kit selling business.
I have been giving it some thought. It takes a while to digitize plans into a functional kit, and then I'd need to write out instructions, and include all the other bits and bobs needed to complete a kit (ropes, lifeboats, etc). It is a venture that I think would require a bit more unused funds than I have at the moment, but it is definitely on the agenda for the future.

If anyone has any plans they would like to see digitized (That aren't copy-written) let me know and I can see what I can do. I am giving this serious thought.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:14 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorNeekers View Post
The video is up, for anyone interested.
Dang!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:29 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Cool.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:41 AM
Austria, Vienna
Joined Mar 2008
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorNeekers View Post
I have been giving it some thought. It takes a while to digitize plans into a functional kit, and then I'd need to write out instructions, and include all the other bits and bobs needed to complete a kit (ropes, lifeboats, etc). It is a venture that I think would require a bit more unused funds than I have at the moment, but it is definitely on the agenda for the future.

If anyone has any plans they would like to see digitized (That aren't copy-written) let me know and I can see what I can do. I am giving this serious thought.
I was thinking on the lines of selling just the laser cut parts, noo need for other accessories, which can be purchased elsewhere. I'm sure there are a few modelers out there who might want a custom lasercut hull etc.

And for just a kti of keel ribs and deck you don't really need instructions, if the ribs are numbered corresponding to their place on the keel.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:24 PM
Steamy laser dude.
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
262 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking on the lines of selling just the laser cut parts, noo need for other accessories, which can be purchased elsewhere. I'm sure there are a few modelers out there who might want a custom lasercut hull etc.

And for just a kti of keel ribs and deck you don't really need instructions, if the ribs are numbered corresponding to their place on the keel.

This is another point that I was considering. I know that shipping costs for large packages can be rather offensive due to the large packaging, heavy weight, etc. Bulk head and keel pieces fit into a large ziplock bag and the weight is really minimal. That makes shipping internationally a LOT more feasible.

I was having a lot of discussions within the local model boat club about what is really included in a boat kit. Mostly it's strip wood, some decoration bits, and a few precision cut pieces.
If I were to include merely the precision cut pieces, it would make the kits less appealing to the beginner modeller, but a lot cheaper for the more advanced modeller (who probably won't follow the instructions anyways).

So the plan for now is to get a few different designs that include the difficult to cut pieces. Things like bulkheads, side sections of paddlewheels, railings, etc. The things that are tedious and/or difficult to make by hand, but that are super easy to make with the laser cutter.

If I can stick to mailing people very thin, flat, and light packages, I think I can get a nice product out to people without breaking anyone's bank.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:25 PM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,234 Posts
Sounds fantastic !
Anyone can buy stripwood anywhere in the world (just about) , the key is to have accurate bulkhead formers, keil and deck frames , as you pointed out .
Good luck with the project.
Dunc2504
dunc2504 is offline Find More Posts by dunc2504
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:13 AM
Austria, Vienna
Joined Mar 2008
485 Posts
Paddlewheel kits would be very interesting indeed.

I think you should aim at the more experienced builder, they do appreciate a nicely cut boat skeleton and don't need instructions. Leave the beginners to use the all inclusive kits from established manufacturers, there are enough of those.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:37 PM
Steamy laser dude.
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
262 Posts
That's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well.
From a logistical standpoint, packaging and shipping just the flat skeleton is a lot easier.

Less packaging needed = lower shipping cost = easier to market worldwide.

I'm just putting together the first hull together from scraps. I've taken measurements of the things I will need to adjust.Mostly to do with the height of the slots in the keel. I was also considering adding a cutout for the propshaft, but figured that most people will be doing it themselves, at whatever angle they need to fit their drive system. So I'll leave it as a solid component.

In the first picture you can see that my strips were a little short. Due to the first and last section of hull being behind a solid bulkhead, I could fairly easily make due by using scraps.
Lots of sanding to do before I can get paint on the hull. Really wishing I had an electric sander right about now.