Thanks for the information.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:50 AM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
CG for Nieuport

I am building one from parts with the clone brick from Target.

Where is the CG for the stock Nieuport?
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Last edited by deadduck; Nov 04, 2012 at 04:23 AM. Reason: clarity
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Fitting the prop to shaft

This is about the new 1.2mm shaft gearbox that comes with the Nieuport and the matching prop.

It's a killer to fit the prop to the gearbox shaft. Very tight fit. The shaft has splines which are great to stop the prop slipping, but a real problem once you break the prop.

It's doable to fit the prop off the airplane, (involves using a small hammer to tap it on), BUT it's hard to remove the prop once it's on the shaft. I broke one trying to taking it off.

If you are building one from parts, it would make sense to slice the cowl into two pieces, since changing a prop will involve taking the gearbox out, fitting the new prop to it and then you glue the gb back into the airframe.

There are reports of people finding their props glued on (by the factory), I'm guessing they ream the props out a bit, so as to be able to fit them without breaking the airplane. So then they have to use glue to secure.

Fitting a prop to the shaft while on the airplane... no way to do it without reaming the prop hole a little. Which kinda defeats the point of having the splines on the shaft in the first place.......

If they made the props from NYLON like the old COX props, you would never have to change a prop, so this small hole+splines thing would work (until you bent the GB shaft).

It's strange how Flyzone's Micro gearboxes are so awful, starting with the Playmate gearbox and the little tensioner spring to this "awkward to maintain" gearbox. The Albatros GB system will occasionally throw a prop, but is the most user friendly of the 3 types so far.

Please give up on the clever solutions and just copy the threaded shafts of the other micro manufacturer and save your customers endless irritation.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:41 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I love the price of the 7mm motor stuff, but I absolutely hate the push on prop.

All of the flyzone planes wouldn't be hurt by the added weight of a 1.5mm screw on prop shaft... most wouldn't even notice the difference
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Alternative Prop

I really didn't want to dismantle my Nieuportstein (built from parts) just to get the stock prop on.

Poked around my spare micro bits and pieces... Champ prop... looks promising...

Ah, it pushes on the shaft!!! Will lock with a dab of CA.

Just a tad bigger at (130 x 70) than the Nieuport prop (117 x 64) but a bit softer (flexible) so the amp draw may be lower......

Ground taxi test ok. Full power in hand... prop didn't budge off the shaft..

Maybe good to go....

It's what I'll use on my test flight this sunday........
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Nieuportstein Maiden

Double post.
Last edited by deadduck; Jan 08, 2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Double post
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Nieuportstein Maiden

Got to the field, zero wind.

Popped in a 160mah Nanotech stuffed forward. Lifted off nicely, but was flying a bit tail down, so two clicks of down trim and it was neutral at 1/2 throttle.

Bags of power, but be aware I am not using the stock prop, having been forced to use a Champ prop.

It does not exhibit the Albatros' tendency to nose down with power off, which is nice. Cruises around nicely at 1/2 throttle.

I don't think it needs a power-elevator mix like the Albatros, so the RTF is probably okay to buy.

My built (but no battery) weight was 29 grams.

I used Elmers white glue to fix the landing gear. It knocked off on landing (admittedly not a very good landing), so am going to another glue for this.

Definitely a nice flying model.
Last edited by deadduck; Nov 24, 2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added comment about RTF
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:58 PM
AMA 988154
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
UPS delivered my Nieuport last night. Charged the battery, turned on the Tactic TTX402 and attempted to arm the motor. Nothing. Tried my S.E.5a nothing. Took my DX6i with AnyLink and both planes armed. The Nieuport sounds like a coffee grinder with bad gears. Looks like Hobby Services is first on my list of calls Monday. I really do not want to dissasemble the plane and I have no idea what is wrong with the Tx. What a way to start.
k4pacific is offline Find More Posts by k4pacific
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:29 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,566 Posts
The gearboxes are kinda loud, I added alittle white lightning (for bike chains) to mine recently and it helped on my earlier flyzone planes. The Nieuport and the se5 are not as loud in my opinion as the earlier planes. If you have the anylink I would use that over the stock radio no matter what!
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:54 PM
AMA 988154
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
There is a vast difference between my S.E.5a and Nieuport as far as motor sound. Untill you get past half throttle on the Nieuport you would think something was going to self destruct.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:41 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
709 Posts
Yep!

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:04 PM
AMA 988154
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific View Post
UPS delivered my Nieuport last night. Charged the battery, turned on the Tactic TTX402 and attempted to arm the motor. Nothing. Tried my S.E.5a nothing. Took my DX6i with AnyLink and both planes armed. The Nieuport sounds like a coffee grinder with bad gears. Looks like Hobby Services is first on my list of calls Monday. I really do not want to dissasemble the plane and I have no idea what is wrong with the Tx. What a way to start.
Hobby Services was very understanding. They are replacing both the Nieuport and the TTX402. Thanks Mark.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
222 Posts
I have the Albatross with noisy gears. Sounds nasty on the bench, but the guys at the field really like the way it sounds in the air! Flew it for over a minute "hands off" gently circling today! What a hoot! Gotta get the Nieuport for some dogfights, I think!
iwlf is online now Find More Posts by iwlf
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:46 PM
Joined Jun 2006
38 Posts
I got my Nieuport from Tower's "Scratch-and-Dent sale last week. All it said was one of the V struts had been re-glued (which it had been). However, the motor looks to me to have a lot of right thrust (15 degrees), and a little bit of down thrust. Is this standard?

Otherwise it's nice looking. I have a couple of their Albitri, Dr1s, and recently an SE5a (my favorite so far). Looking forward to flying the Nieuport soon. I'm considering doing a repaint and mods to it to make it a Siemens Schuckert D1 (German knock -off of the Nieuport) like the 1/4 scale I used to fly (below).

If it really needs that much right thrust, it'll tough to add a spinner.

Thanks!
Lucky Dog is offline Find More Posts by Lucky Dog
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:38 PM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
However, the motor looks to me to have a lot of right thrust (15 degrees), and a little bit of down thrust. Is this standard?
Yep, that's the way it is. It does have quite a bit right thrust indeed.
theimacman is online now Find More Posts by theimacman