SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:27 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,824 Posts
For people who are waiting for a MiniSpyder frame (250)..
I would like to know if you have 45mm or 30.5mm flight controller..

Making it for 30.5 or 35 would be much better looking .. for that size..
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:38 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,471 Posts
This is the setup I would love to run on the mini spyder!
HK 210mm paired with a Quadrino flight controller! (4 min 0 sec)

But I do have 2 real KK's here, I guess I may have to use them.
I do have a naze 32 board on loan! I could just put that on it!
If it is finished sooooooooooon????????????????????????????????????? ?????????
LOL!
You know I trying hard to be a pain!
Thank you for, all that you do!
DoctorAudio is online now Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:18 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
That tricopter frame use 450 size boom i think from the pictures.
This is too soft (from my testing and personal taste)

Folding does put a lot of restriction to the overall design.
I have yet found a "Miracle" way to do it.

I like things that are very rigid without any play in the mounting..

But i am open to anything.. lol

If you want to try it i could design something that could integrate those mount.
I'm not looking for miracles. If the front arms used the tricopter pivot design then you'd have a compact design. The pivots are locked in place very well and people would have 221 mm cf rods and mounts available from hk. Stiffer than dji arms for sure. They could Also use the motor mounts and landing legs from the talon series. All quality material. The problem with the talon quad is the small body and x form.

The Booms are 14mm outer and 12mm inner diameter and 221mm long, very stiff and strong, really cross htach twill CF. Better than 450 heli booms.

Think about a Frame that uses motor mounts and arms from HK vs DJI, CF and Alu VS Plastic,and the distribution opportunity to supply a frame that people can get parts for from HK and the core body for FPV from you, with adjustable front arms to swing the props out of view and play witht he CG. offer a 3 position front pivot arm that allows and very open front and yet a more traditional option too.
There are also 320mm arms with no pivot groove cut, but DIY should be able to handle it. Now you have a 450-650 frame option.

H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Last edited by shelterock; Sep 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added content
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:46 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
My thoughts are , you provide the radical FPV quad frame, HK supplies the CF arms and mounts.

Name: Tricopterbody.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 224.0 KB
Description:
The top and bottom plate offer 3 swing out positions for the arms and a retracted position. Options are way forwar, 120' and T-Copter 90' swing.

Name: tricopterpivotblock.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 225.6 KB
Description:
There is no play in the mechanism. Arms are tight in the blocks and secured by thumb screws and a pivot screw. No flex.
Name: Lowerbodytricopter.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 77.0 KB
Description:
See three position options. Nice wide front for FPV Gopro attachment using:
Name: goprotalon.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 69.4 KB
Description:

Alternatively, a body using the T shaped HK talon quad arm blocks with side screws, to mount 4 arms in your frame and we can buy the Talon motor mounts and landing gear with endless supply.
Name: talonarmblock.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 53.8 KB
Description:
Name: Talonquadarms.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 35.8 KB
Description:
my 2 Cents,
H
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:00 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,824 Posts
Sure it can be done..
Make a part list price here if you have time
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:07 PM
USA, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Feb 2011
412 Posts
Quote:

45mm... plus that give more options
jsflyrv is offline Find More Posts by jsflyrv
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:14 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsflyrv View Post
45mm... plus that give more options
Ok.. i was fearing that answer..
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:30 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Parts List: Prices are Logged on Prices Talon Quad V2 : $68.46 for parts.
Interestingly an entire Talon Quad V2 is $49.95, use everything other than top and bottom plate.
none folding options:
Hobbyking Talon V2 Motor mounts and landing set x 4: S35.32
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Gear_Set.html
Hobbyking Arm Mount V2, Non folding setup x 4: $10.12
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...unt_Block.html
Female spacer V2 for Blocks x 4: $5.88
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cer_2pcs_.html
Screws for Blocks x 4: $5.04
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_M3_x_8_.html
CF Arms 221MM x 2: $12.10
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mm_2_pcs_.html
Ther eis a 320mm boom set too.

If you build a frame with folding front arms only. Total Parts $56.56

Hobbyking Talon V2 Motor mounts and landing set x 4: S35.32
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Gear_Set.html
Pivot blocks package: $7.90
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Mount_Set.html
Tricopter CF 221mm Folding Arms: pack of 3: $8.08
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ube_3pcs_.html
Hobbyking Arm Mount V2, Non folding setup x 1: $2.53http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23014__Turnigy_Talon_V2_Alloy_Motor_Mount_Block. html
Female spacer V2 for Blocks x 1: $1.47http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23015__Turnigy_Talon_V2_M3_Hex_Tapped_Spacer_2pc s_.html
Screws for Blocks x 1: $1.26
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_M3_x_8_.html

The folding parts,$56.56, are more than the fixed arms options but requires a frame redesign. The Fixed arm option, $49.95, you're better off buy a Talon V2 Quad and using the parts.
H
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:37 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
663 Posts
Quote:

If I were to lose my mind and venture into another mini type frame, I would want to use my Naze32 (30.5mm) or a Crius MultiWii rev 2, (35mm). I just can't see using a 45mm board on a bird that small.

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:48 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
My thoughts are , you provide the radical FPV quad frame, HK supplies the CF arms and mounts.

Attachment 5173166
The top and bottom plate offer 3 swing out positions for the arms and a retracted position. Options are way forwar, 120' and T-Copter 90' swing.

Attachment 5173167
There is no play in the mechanism. Arms are tight in the blocks and secured by thumb screws and a pivot screw. No flex.
Attachment 5173186
See three position options. Nice wide front for FPV Gopro attachment using:
Attachment 5173190

Alternatively, a body using the T shaped HK talon quad arm blocks with side screws, to mount 4 arms in your frame and we can buy the Talon motor mounts and landing gear with endless supply.
Attachment 5173187
Attachment 5173193
my 2 Cents,
H
The talon arms suck! I have one I will never used again because you bump the ground and it moves the motor and then you have to readjust it.
I perfer the DJI arms over thos cheap pieces!
If he were to make the a frame with that I would never even look at it!
I am sure you can come up with a better idea.
But, yo it is yours never to be mine!
Even If I got one for free! I would keep the top and bottom plates and throw the rest away.
Sorry!
DoctorAudio is online now Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,086 Posts
My personal opinion is that you either provide a full frame kit or not bother. The only real exception would be something that can use the DJI arms which are simple to source and many people may have. If I have to buy bits and pieces all over I'll just buy a complete frame from some place or make my own.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:55 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
The talon arms suck! I have one I will never used again because you bump the ground and it moves the motor and then you have to readjust it.
I perfer the DJI arms over thos cheap pieces!
If he were to make the a frame with that I would never even look at it!
I am sure you can come up with a better idea.
But, yo it is yours never to be mine!
Even If I got one for free! I would keep the top and bottom plates and throw the rest away.
Sorry!
There's a perspective. I have heard that they shift. If you drill the arm for the 2mm set screw in the mount, you will not have that issue. On top of that the tricopter arms are mounted through a slot with moving pin to create a locked in mount and adjustable arm position.
Maybe I can sell you the top and bottom plate, Heir Doctor.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:16 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
My personal opinion is that you either provide a full frame kit or not bother. The only real exception would be something that can use the DJI arms which are simple to source and many people may have. If I have to buy bits and pieces all over I'll just buy a complete frame from some place or make my own.
True, It would be great to have it all in one kit. I believe HK has sold a lot of Talons and DiaLFonZo has a great FPV body that you could use all the parts from the talon kit on. The short comings of the Talon kit is the small body and X form factor. I hear complains of the flex in the DJI arms, I hear complaints of the Talon arms twisting. I crashed my F550 and it burst into flames when the solder joint on the integrated PCB pierced the LIPO.

Spyderquad with carbon Fiber arms and a brushed aluminium motor mounts would be very cool. You can also adjust the length of the arms with CF tubes etc..

Granted $50 for CF and Aluminium Quad parts versus $20 for Plastic DJI arms...
Isn't choice a great thing?
H
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:52 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Thanks..

I have added some rubberband hook to the front too...

HD Here

Also have a look at the placement of the GoPro ...
I have read this thread with interest. the perfect fpv frame is a different thing to different people ... but .... What I would like to see with this frame: (a few thoughts and ideas)

1. DJI arms are a bit flexible and vibrate badly ... maybe XAircraft X450
arms are more rigid??

2. Apart from the weight it is nice to use/mount the gopro in its case ... after all it will protect the camera ...

3. If using the DJI type arms, there are different sizes in these, even clones from HK, so short ones at the front and longer ones at the rear and it should be possible to get damn close to a symmetrical layout to minimize tuning difficulties. Alternatively, extension of the arm mounts to gain the symmetrical layout.

4. Need enough space to mount the gopro and the fpv camera side by side and protected at the same time.

5. Need a 3rd upper deck to protect the flight board, video transmitter, osd and/or any other goodies that end up on top. The additional height will also protect the gopro, motors etc in the event of an upside down splat.

6. A realistic price and availabilility of spares ....

Thoughts / comments ???

Mark
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:26 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,824 Posts
Hi Mark,

Thanks to have take the time to get me some ideas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. DJI arms are a bit flexible and vibrate badly ... maybe XAircraft X450
arms are more rigid??

I am making a round tube version elsewhere.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Apart from the weight it is nice to use/mount the gopro in its case ... after all it will protect the camera ...

Yes i have use the sticker mount on mine. But have put many different mounting pattern just to cover more people.

3. If using the DJI type arms, there are different sizes in these, even clones from HK, so short ones at the front and longer ones at the rear and it should be possible to get damn close to a symmetrical layout to minimize tuning difficulties. Alternatively, extension of the arm mounts to gain the symmetrical layout.

I know that.. i would need to order some of the shorter arms to see.. but to be honest i would keep the long arms up front cause they help clear the prop in the video. So would need extensions to the back. But DJI are already soft and when you extend them it's not getting better.. lol
I have fly mine with a MultiWii Gyro only on stock PID.. so not too hard to tune.

4. Need enough space to mount the gopro and the fpv camera side by side and protected at the same time.

Yep.. that's not covered in that version.. i know..
I made a mount for the Round tube version but it won't have enough space under the landing of the DJI arms. So better do it another way here.

5. Need a 3rd upper deck to protect the flight board, video transmitter, osd and/or any other goodies that end up on top. The additional height will also protect the gopro, motors etc in the event of an upside down splat.

The flyght board is supposed to be mounted inside the two frame plate. There is mounting there and 1.5" of clearance.
Adding another plate will bump the price, weight and change the look. But if that's what people want i can do it.

6. A realistic price and availabilility of spares ....

Spare parts are always availible. I am doing anything on request.
As for price.. i can't compete China frame since i am paying more for material than the cost of a complete frame they sell..
But you get direct contact and if need anything special.. just ask..

Again, Thanks a lot
Let me know if you need a frame or a modified version..

Eric Nantel
info@dialfonzo-copter.com
RCG Plus Member