HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:38 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
...just need to finish painting the plane....
Lookin' great, Pete! What will you use for the top wing roundel "decals"?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:01 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Thanks Gene,

Please see the previous writing in this post I wrote this NP-11 and early ones did not have upper wing roundels. This camo one of Lufbery's was one that did not.

Gotta get the Lewis gun made as it looks empty with out it and the pilot....

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:12 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
... this NP-11 and early ones did not have upper wing roundels.
Oh... looks nekid.

Gene K
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Pretty much got it done with this bird AUW without battery 18grs.

Made the Lewis gun and attached it as in my other NP with a magnet so it can pop off with the trigger wire attached to the fuselage.

Finished painting the pilot and added it.

Pete
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:54 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Had a chance to test fly and tweak the Nieuport. She flys great! I love it...

I just needed to add some dihedral to the lower wing. I did this at least for now with non scale CF flying wires. I say non scale because of the way the NP-11 was rigged it will be hard for me to put in the needed dihedral.

Any way now I'll also add a fake LeRhone and other details and try to figure how to add scale rigging and maintain the dihedral in the lower wing but I'm very happy with how easy it is to fly and how good it looks in the air. No video yet, I took these pic's while flying it. Sorry, I could not get any close ups while flying it...

Pete
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:24 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Beautiful work!
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:02 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Thanks Wufnu...

I really like this Nieuport 11 it flys great. I love the way these WWI birds look in the air.

I just got the ROF air sim and have the NP-11 to fly against the E-III's etc..

Pete
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:37 PM
Utah
Joined Sep 2009
499 Posts
Amazing work Pete!

Love the attention to detail!

I've never tried ROF... I loved "Wings" and "Knights of the Sky" on my Amiga wayyyyyy back when.

I really like IL2:Sturmovik (Ил-2 Штурмовик). It's a great sim and I think still beats the newer one's from Maddox/Ubi. I started playing it (2001) when it only had a few flyable planes. Besides the IL2, I really liked the I-16 Rata.

Anyway, back to work! hehe

Ciao,

Will
Stenz28 is offline Find More Posts by Stenz28
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:51 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
ROF looked nice but it's website has very little information about what the game is like. For example, they have a career mode but tell you nothing about it. They also didn't have a list of modeled planes, mission types, etc. I haven't found a sim I liked since I last played Red Baron 3D with Kessler's "Full Canvas Jacket" mod.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:01 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Thanks Will...

I also really like IL2 I have some great add ons but since I got into the WWI planes I've only been playing First Eagles and now ROF

Wufnu,

First Eagles is an okay air sim but this ROF at least for me is too cool and I have not scratched the surface yet.

Speedy01 (Gene) sent me a gift ROF E-III. I like flying it since there's no top wing to try and see over. Hee hee

Pete
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:58 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
That's another thing! If I buy the game instead of playing for free, what do I get with it? Do I get all planes they will ever make? Do I get all modes ever created? The idea of paying full price for something and then having to buy more pieces later to keep it complete irks me.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:39 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wufnu View Post
ROF looked nice but it's website has very little information about what the game is like.
HUH? For starters check out the forums and download the User Manual here: http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewto...10&f=2#p383110.

There's a wealth of information on ROF out there in GoogleLand - for example: http://www.riseofflight.eu/ : "Fly the Spad XIII, Fokker D.VII, Albatros D.Va, Albatros D.II, Nieuport 28, SE.5a, Pfalz D.IIIa, Sopwith Camel and deadly Fokker Dr.1 into aerial combat over the western front. Join a squadron and meet dozens of scouts, fighter, bombers and recon planes in Multiplayer-Mode via the internet".

Additionally, the developers occasionally include a new flyable aircraft with their program updates.

If, however, you're looking for an arcade game like "Wings" or "Knights of the Sky" that you mentioned, this isn't it! ROF is one heck of a simulation, and to "play" takes a little learnin' - right, Pete?

Gene K
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:08 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
I'm aware. The websites leave out a lot of specifics. The EU website was better; at least it told you exactly which planes you would be getting. The US websites "features" page tells me these features: It's a WWI sim, you fly over trenches, and you can fly "famous aircraft including the Fokker Dr.1, Sopwith Camel, S.E.5a and Albatros D.Va. and many more!" Uh, how many more, exactly? Is that all the features it has? Of course it isn't. I did eventually download the manual and then was curious why I did so. If someone wants my money, why would they make it so hard to find information? Seems lazy.

You get 9 planes out of 31 when you "buy the game" for $40; the rest you have to purchase yourself at $8-$15 each (discounts if you buy multiples, max 45% off if you buy 19 or more at once). If you want to modify your planes it's an average $2-$3 for the field mods, $2 for the weapon mods, for each plane. Same for other maps, campaigns, etc.

I feel uneasy with this method of business and am hesitant to support it. This would be, by far, the most expensive "computer game" I'd ever owned. It's the same reason I refuse to buy the "quality" R/C sims. I can appreciate their attention to detail but I don't think it's worth it. Maybe when I have too much money I'll reconsider but that day isn't today
Last edited by Wufnu; Aug 07, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:58 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
816 Posts
Ill have to re-install ROF on my machine!! I left it off after my last re-install.
Do love it though, it takes a hell of a lot of skill to keep those old birds in the air on this sim.
I also love IL Sturmovik, the last one I bought was "Cliffs of Dover" via Steam..... Havent played it much though as my XBOX 360 gets more action these days....

Has anyone played "Birds of Steel" on the XBOX 360???? That is a great game/sim too.
Play that in realistic settings and its bloody hard.

I have to agree with Wufnu, Rise of Flight, though awesome sucks in its business model....
If you want to fly the fancy new planes you have to shell out some Euros for them, I ended up only buying about four of them.

I wouldnt totally discount on getting ROF for this reason though, the graphics, sound and simulation model are excellent, and Im running an old machine from 2 years back!

Nath.
Groovechampion is online now Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:57 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Here's a video of this Micro Nieuport.

Pete's Nieuport (5 min 17 sec)

Pete