HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:00 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Will,

Check with guys like UNGN he's a GURU in all these Micro power items.

I don't think it will work, I would go with the PZ P-51 motor/gearbox and I'm not sure if the Ember Brick can take the P-51 set up. UNGN will give good advice on that.

I did a paper to foam early Bf-109 D Spanish Civil war with a 16" WS. It's one of the harder birds to get to fly right because of the scale tail area. I only had the DX5e at the time it flys good but you have to be on it with a DX5e I now have a 7.
You can see my build in this forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...il+war+bf+109d

Started masking.... Luf continues with the watchful eye....
Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Jul 27, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
If you want foam check out Model Plane Foam. Unskinned polystyrene, a box of ten big sheets for $65, shipping included.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:56 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Will,

Check with guys like UNGN he's a GURU in all these Micro power items.

I don't think it will work, I would go with the PZ P-51 motor/gearbox and I'm not sure if the Ember Brick can take the P-51 set up. UNGN will give good advice on that.
Pete,

It looks like you have another winner.

You are right, the Mustang motor will put major stress on the Ember 2 ESC in a warbird like a BF109, But should live in a small biplane flying around at 1/2 throttle, at least for a little while.

A Champ motor would work better than a Mustang motor infront of an E2 Brick, as it draws less amps @ WOT and should be able to fly a 40g plane acceptably... though vertical performance won't match a Mustang motor with a better brick (AR6400 or a newer AR6400 based PKZ 3351 Brick). The 8.4mm Champ/Mustang motors also provide 4g of nose weight vs. a E2/J-3 6mm Motor, which helps on tail heavy designs.

The Ember Motor isn't suitable for anything with an AUW over 20g. The J-3 motor is a direct swap for the 6mm Ember motor and provides 40% more thrust (enough for at least a 33g AUW plane).
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Thanks UNGN,

I have the PZ 6mm J3 motor & gearbox and prop in this NP-11. I'm using the Vapor brick.

Do you think I'll have any problems with this set up?

It has plenty of power for this 12.5" WS bird. At this time I'm 19grs expect to be a tad over 20 or at 20 after I paint and add details.

Thanks

Pete
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Should be plenty of power. Hey for some reason all my builds loop under power. Any idea of what causes this? Oh yeah, and when they don't loop, they glide the a brick and climb steeply.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Thanks UNGN,

I have the PZ 6mm J3 motor & gearbox and prop in this NP-11. I'm using the Vapor brick.

Do you think I'll have any problems with this set up?

It has plenty of power for this 12.5" WS bird. At this time I'm 19grs expect to be a tad over 20 or at 20 after I paint and add details.

Thanks

Pete
All of the 6mm motors are fine with the older bricks. It seems the Mustang motor is the killer. My Kyosho to Vapor brick conversions would always be great until I went to the Mustang Motor (I just can't help myself)

If you can get a plane to balance with the 6mm J-3 motor, I recommend it for 30g or less scale planes, because it is just so much ligher than the 8.4mm motors.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:04 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Hey for some reason all my builds loop under power. Any idea of what causes this? Oh yeah, and when they don't loop, they glide the a brick and climb steeply.
Undercambered airfoils are probably causing this.

Down thrust and/or a throttle to elevator mix will reduce the climb under power.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Yeah, but I did a guillows hawker hurricane and it still did it, even with a 1/4 oz of nose weight....... so confused. Maybe the hurricane had too much aoa.......
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:11 PM
Utah
Joined Sep 2009
499 Posts
Awesome replies guys, thanks!

I'll un-hijack the thread and let Pete can get back to his great build!

Will
Stenz28 is offline Find More Posts by Stenz28
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Sorry! Just trying to get some help!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:31 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
No problem guys that's what this is all about. Thanks UNGN

Starting to look the part, lots to do yet though. Have to finish painting, paint the pilot, make the Lewis Gun, add rigging etc.

Pete
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Nice paintjob. No decals on the top of the wings?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:33 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Thanks RC

No, as I understand it some of the early camo NP-11's that the Lafayette Escadrille had did not have the top wing roundels. Lufbery's was one of several that did not.

BTW I think there's a fly in at Banshi field in your neck of the woods tomorrow. I can't go but've been there several times it's usually HHH but fun. There's a few of us here in the Fairfax area that get together and fly and also go to indoor flying events.

Pete
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Its a shame you can't come tommorow, do you go to the meetings at the reston police station?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:27 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Got additional paint on just need to finish painting the plane, pilot make and add the wind screen and Lewis gun. Hope to test fly today.

AUW at this point with pilot 18grs with 80mh battery 20grs

Pete