SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:28 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
MP, I see that you do all your models very neatly, nice paintwork---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:07 AM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
thanks Karl,
Melih PEKOL is offline Find More Posts by Melih PEKOL
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:36 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Hi MP, thanks for the waterline information....and your model work is beautiful...WOW!!!!!!!!! More inspiration to get this project done. I really like the color scheme that you have chosen...very clean...very classic looking....and I'm sure she is quite striking on the water. I appreciate all of the extra information on the waterline measurements that you provided. No problem with metric measurements. This is why I appreciate RCGroups so much....
Bob SF
Bob SF is online now Find More Posts by Bob SF
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:47 AM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
BTW, thanks Bob SF

She is parked on the upper shelf for 3+ yrs.
now be cleaned and on the bench for small repairs + more detailing
if y need more info / photo, just let me know

mp
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:46 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Hi MP, thanks for the offer...I'm sure I will have more questions as the build goes along. Bob SF
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:25 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Bulwarks R Us

Hi Everyone,
Getting the plywood for the bulwarks was a fiasco....lost my order....can't find it on UPS...etc. Finally, the big box arrived and the Hellen Project was back on active status. The hull and deck were sanded down and the 1/16" plywood was cut to the appropriate shape (using a paper template). The bulwark actually extends down the side of the hull by 1/4" and the seam is hidden by the rub rail. The scuppers were cut using a router bit mounted in a drill press. I have a pair of guide wheels on a board that mounts to the drill press platform the allows the bullwark to slide in a controlled manner while the router bit cuts the scupper. The rub rails where added along with the vertical supports. While the bulwarks were setting up on the hull, I used some aluminum "L" stock to fashion a pair of mast steps. These were primed and painted green. Eventually, they will be thru-bolted on deck. Masts were laminated and sanded to shape. I had to make a third mast...got to happy with the belt sander and took it down to nothing (OOPS). I should have a sign on the wall that says, "sand once and stop early". The masts will get a couple more coats of varnish and then will be capped in white gloss paint. A green stripe will separate the colors. I'm going to have to blunt the finials on the tops of the masts so that I don't end up in the ER.....I'm capable. I found another picture of the Saffron BA 182. I will build the house to match the picture. At this point this build will become the Saffron Project. Bob SF
Last edited by Bob SF; Aug 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:38 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,738 Posts
Excellent work !

Your work on the washports ( scuppers ) is an inspiration, that sort of thing is tough to cut out and have it look good.

I was lucky on the Evelyn Rose, Billings cut those for me with a laser ( whew ! )

Hiding that seam behind the rubrail ... SMART.

No one has ever taken this kit to this lenght, Bravo !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob SF View Post
The scuppers were cut using a router bit mounted in a drill press. I have a pair of guide wheels on a board that mounts to the drill press platform the allows the bullwark to slide in a controlled manner while the router bit cuts the scupper. Bob SF
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Hi Everyone, two quick questions.
1) The hull number, BA 182.....what does the BA stand for? I think it is a home port designation.
2) Does anyone know what kind of engine was used in this kind of boat? Gas or diesel?
Thanks in advance for your help. Bob SF
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:34 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,738 Posts
Scottish power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob SF View Post
Hi Everyone, does anyone know what kind of engine was used in this kind of boat? Gas or diesel?
Thanks in advance for your help. Bob SF
Bob, this may be close to what that kit is Supposed to be ( those guys are smiling now, but they havent told thier Wifes that they bough an old boat yet )

"LOTHIAN QUEEN is a fishing vessel of timber construction, larch on oak frames with a Ford Lehman diesel engine. She was built by Weatherheads of Cockenzie in 1936.
Function
Fishing Vessel
Subfunction
Ring-netter

Primary Propulsion/Engine
Inboard diesel

Breadth: Beam
15.50 feet (4.73 metres)"
Length: Overall
48.50 feet (14.79 metres)
Depth
5.00 feet (1.52 metres)"
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:33 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Hi Tim, thanks for the information. I don't know what I would do without you guys!!! Bob SF
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:58 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Cap Rails Installed

Hi Everyone, I got back in the shop today and made some sawdust. The cap rail was cut from 1/8" door skin and was glued in place with Titebond III. The deck was drilled for the mast steps, and goosenecks were fashioned out of brass stock and a few bolts. The booms and cabin come next.....along with sanding and more sanding. Bob SF
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
1,843 Posts
Looks good bob
louie R/C NUT is offline Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:16 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
Faux Planks Go On

Hi Everyone, here is an update on Project Saffron. Lots of sanding and filling have been going on in an effort to get the boat ready for faux planks. Faux planks are fake planks that I add to smooth hulls to make them look like they are planked...hence the name. Two coats of white Rustoleum primer were applied with a brush (sanding between coats). The basic technique involves laying out the faux planks that you want to see through the paint finish using thin strips of blue masking tape. Then you apply a thin layer of West System Epoxy and then dust the boat with a fine layer of pine sawdust (a bandsaw is a good source for pine dust). Before the glue sets, you remove the blue tape and dust on more pine dust. Using a shop vac, you then remove any extra pine dust. Any errant pine dust can be wiped clean at this time with a paper towel. Let the epoxy set. Come back later and lightly sand the hull, removing any big chunks of pine and taking the high spots down. Be sure not to sand too much, as the paint will hide some of the final detail. By all means, perfection is not the answer with this technique....rough is good and a little imperfection adds to the boat's charm. I've used this on a yacht finished hull, just leaving out the pine dust to get a smoother hull. Sans pine dust, you will get a shadow of a plank on a smooth hull. I've also used this technique (with dust) to highlight the weld seams on a tugboat. Once sanded (a little), Saffron will get another layer of primer. As mentioned previously, I want to shoot a couple shades of brown on her waterline, so that after she is painted with her final colors, I can scratch her sides up a bit to let the brown shades show through as if she had a little wharf rash. The build is getting more fun now. Bob SF
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:26 PM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
getting more and more interresting build,

mp