HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:05 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,202 Posts
My mistake !

I thought that prop came to a point at the tip of the hub, I now see the flat spot.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:23 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Servos go in...

Hi Everyone, easy build day today....only had to cut parts once....that's a good day! The rudder servo was installed along with the pushrod and everything works as it should. The sail winch servo is mounted on the side of the keel to lower the CG of the boat. The aft sail is really small, so the short side of the sail winch arm will control the aft sail. The mounting board for the sound system was installed as well. Time to move outside the hull and install the strakes on the bottom (just before the curve of the bilge) and then the lower rubrails will be tortured into place. I'm going to use some 1/8" by 1/4" bass or spruce topped with 1/4" half round to make the rubrails. If you hear a loud crack followed by some salty sea words, you know I've bent the parts too quickly. Bob SF
Bob SF is offline Find More Posts by Bob SF
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:38 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,202 Posts
Moving quickly !

Sure and she'll be one of a kind...
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined May 2009
216 Posts
not sure about the sail winch servo. I could be wrong, but that little sail is called a steadying sail, or sometimes a riding sail, generally, you would not trim it, like a traditional sail, it was set to help keep the bow into the wind while hauling gear or at anchor, had them on the boats I grew up on fishing, but then again, the great thing about building, you do it the way you want, I just thought you might like to know how they are really used, and the builds looking great!
capterik is offline Find More Posts by capterik
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:56 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Hi Capterik, you are absolutely correct. My thought was that if you had engine trouble or you were short on cash to feed fuel to the iron beast, you might fly everything you had (it looks like she is rigged as a yawl) on a light day to get to your destination. The experiment is to see how she will sail....and I don't expect her to sail as good as an RC Laser...but I bet she will sail to some extent. If the sails are small enough and the CG is kept low enough, she should move on a broad reach and maybe point a little higher once she starts tracking. Thanks for keeping me honest. Bob SF
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Deck Planks Go Down

Hi Everyone, it was a busy time in the shop for the last couple of days as the planks went down on the sub deck (doorskin). I'm not sure what kind of wood the deck is made of (it is very white in color and no sign of a knot anywhere). I was on a hike, on a beach in Marin, CA and found a plank. Normally this kind of stuff is water logged and warped, but this plank was absolutely straight. For the rest of my hike, it turned into a walking plank (bigger than a walking stick) and when I got it home it turned into deck planks. I cut them down and bundled them and put them in the paint booth to sit...awaiting a suitable project. Each plank is glued to the sub deck with Titebond III and pegged in place every three inches with a square toothpick. Since this is a workboat, no attempt was made to make the deck perfect...just good enough to get it past the quality control of the yard manager. In the attached picture, the planks have had one coat of varnish. Another coat will follow and then I'll fill the seams with a water based brown wood putty. The aft section of the deck, as wide as the cargo hold, completely lifts out. On this hatch, the cabin will be located and there will be a small PC fan below to blow on the motor and speed control. As soon as the brown truck arrives with plywood, the bulwark will come next. Bob SF
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:05 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,202 Posts
Killer deck work.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
I really like the deck. I like to use old wood.
onfinal32 is offline Find More Posts by onfinal32
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:12 PM
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
2,032 Posts
Nice work
louie R/C NUT is offline Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:17 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Hi Guys, thanks for the nice comments. I've gone back to the beach looking for more wood, but none was to be found....so this is it for deck wood. I have just enough to finish the aft raised deck. When someone asks what the deck is made of, I can reply, "California Beech". Bob SF
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:53 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,376 Posts
Good one Bob!
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
Hi Bob SF,

I have the same drivetrain (graupner 720BB Torque + 12V batt.) in my so cal Hellen,
with very heavy load (ballast)
she is so overpowered that I reduced the top limit on the ESC, then switched to 6 volts supply

may be good to reserve space for ballast in the hull + bilge,
and / or think about 6 volts supply

nice build

mp
Melih PEKOL is offline Find More Posts by Melih PEKOL
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Hi MP, Glad to hear she goes. Hope to pull a skier! {grin}. Thanks for the update on the power requirements. I'll try her on six and see how she goes. Where is her waterline on your model? I'm curious to see how far down she is. Could you please measure from her deck down her bow and let me know the distance? Thanks for your advice. Bob SF

Another day....another coat of varnish on her deck.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:00 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:54 AM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
OK,
I will make pic's with dimensions
(my Hellen's build was before the digital camera age)

mp
Melih PEKOL is offline Find More Posts by Melih PEKOL