Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Discussion
TBS Discovery frame

Ahoy!

Just thought I'd post about it.

Hardware:
Stock DJI electronics. (30A ESC, 2212 920kv motors, Naza FC)
2200mah 4S Lipo
FrSky 2.4ghz w telemetry
5.8ghz 200mw vTX, GoPro up front + 600tvl FPV camera
Graupner 10x5 props

Note: If you intend to use the DJI electronics, forget about using 3S Lipos. The frame is quite heavy, with a 4000mah 3S Lipo it hoevered at 70+%, whenever I had to punch it to get out of a bad situation the quad got unstable. The motors simply ran out of power to use to stabilize it properly. This happened quite often. Switching to 4S made a HUGE difference, it flies for 7-9 minutes or so and there is pleeeenty of power there. Hovers at just under 50%, goes fast if you want it to. 4S with a dedicated video battery is the way to go. I use a 360mah 3S Lipo for my video gear.

I have to say that I am very very impressed with it. I never could get my HT-FPV frame to fly well, but this one flies fantastic right out of the box. I used the same gains as the ones I used on my hexacopter. (Naza. 160 for roll/pitch and yaw. Some oscillations at high rpms, turning this down to 150 tomorrow)

I didn't even notice the 'spider' setup, I flew it like I always do and it felt great. Maneuverable, quick and with the included vibration-absorbing foam the GoPro footage came out with NO jello. (R3, 720p at 60fps) None whatsoever, which is fantastic since I haven't balanced a thing.

As for how it came together, all you have to do is solder the ESCs to the built-in power distribution board, solder a battery connector and the Naza BEC to the battery pads. The frame also has a bunch of other features such as a set of lanes for the receiver. You can add the pins to the frame, hook up the receiver in the back and the lanes will route the signal to the underside of the top plate down to your FC. Very clever.

So yeah, I have zero complaints. I was able to put together a spider-style quad in about 2 hours that gives me jello-free footage with no props in view, that flies exactly like my previous quad. I can definitely recommend this one.

Video of it in action will be posted tomorrow, I flew several times today but forgot the SD card at home. DOH!
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:39 PM
What goes up...
United States, NJ, Cherry Hill
Joined Feb 2012
1,023 Posts
did you opt for the "core"?
acuralegendz is offline Find More Posts by acuralegendz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:44 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
I didn't, no. I don't think I have any hardware that works with the 'core', whatever it does. There's no OSD or camera that is hooked up to the frame itself. This frame has a ton of small points here and there you can solder things to. But I only use the main power distribution.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:47 PM
What goes up...
Joined Feb 2012
1,023 Posts
I really like the design, I think it may be my next build, I thought about the QAV500 but with replacement parts and the price I think this is a better buy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:57 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Oh damn, the QAV500 is pretty darn expensive. This one will cost you just under 100 usd or so. If you buy it with arms. I ordered mine with arms. I do have another full set of DJI F450 arms here but I need spares so I just got an extra set even though you can find them elsewhere for a bit less.

But hey, the extra cost was offset by the fast shipping. Shipping from Germany to Sweden only takes a couple of days.

And yes the design is quite sexy, the plates look really really nice. Really nice and solid design.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,798 Posts
I got my mine with the core....plan to covert my 450 flamewheel over to it on 4s.

From TBS

Random Discovery (4 min 49 sec)
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:15 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
This frame looks very appealing,
"Its time to dust my cnc machine down"
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:54 AM
Joined May 2012
40 Posts
hello

today i wil recive my TBS frame and i wil build my F550 frame with wookong over it
now is my quastion or i have to setup the motor mixer by myself in the wookong or can i just choose quad-rotor x in the Wookong-M Assistant Software

thanks
nperdaen is offline Find More Posts by nperdaen
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:48 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
You obviously need to hook up the motor wires to the right place. M1 through M4, then change to quad-rotor X in the assistant and also check the prop direction. Otherwise it won't fly.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:58 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,854 Posts
They have a real nice frame..
I did start mine too because i had some request about it.

Before you say.. yes it does look like their frame but there is not many way to put Fixed lenght arm into a Spyder configuration... LOL
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:14 AM
Joined May 2012
40 Posts
Yes that I know of the configuration
But I want to know of I must setup the motor mixers by my self manually it's not a 100% X

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
You obviously need to hook up the motor wires to the right place. M1 through M4, then change to quad-rotor X in the assistant and also check the prop direction. Otherwise it won't fly.
nperdaen is offline Find More Posts by nperdaen
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:24 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Well, this thing is not quite an X, but you simply set it up as an X-quad and you'll be fine. I forgot to reduce the gains so todays flight was a little shaky at times. I also got some jello after I reseated the camera, I think the new props will take care of that. These are actually damaged, they have nicks and dings all over the place, so they're most likely unbalanced and don't push quite as much air as before.

Anyhow, enough chitchat, here's a video from todays flight. The GoPro camera messed up some of the footage for some reason, there's corrupted footage all over the place, but at least I got a decent amount out of it.

TBS Discovery - Test run (2 min 33 sec)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
What goes up...
Joined Feb 2012
1,023 Posts
Took the plunge, ordered the plates from TBS, some arms from UAVProducts, 4 Keda 20-20ls from hobbyking, and some F30As I have that are flashed with SimonK. Now whether to use my OPCC or my Naza for FC. I also need to get new FPV gear as my 900Mhz does not work as advertised. Is 5.8ghz the way to go?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
Hochiminh City
Joined Mar 2004
559 Posts
will you go into sale this frame upgrade or shared the cad fir self home personal used cut.
caotri is offline Find More Posts by caotri
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:21 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acuralegendz View Post
Took the plunge, ordered the plates from TBS, some arms from UAVProducts, 4 Keda 20-20ls from hobbyking, and some F30As I have that are flashed with SimonK. Now whether to use my OPCC or my Naza for FC. I also need to get new FPV gear as my 900Mhz does not work as advertised. Is 5.8ghz the way to go?
Im using 1.3 because I have extra equipment laying around.....but is you dont plan to go real far 5.8 seems to be better when going behind objects close in from what I have seen. Plus you can use the 5.8 rx for a micro setup on a MQX
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Closed Thread