SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:44 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Build Log
1/12th scale Grumman HU-16 Albatross

Well Zeke and I have done it again with another design. We talked it over and decided to do a 1/12th scale Grumman Albatross. We have the wingspan set to 96.6".
After working on the drawings and design we think we have something you will enjoy.
Power system is the Turnigy G-10 890kv motors swinging the Hobby Lobby scale 11x10x3 props on 3s.
Controls are elevator, rudder, aileron, and flaps. Motors will be on thier own channel for differential throttle. We did not make a water rudder so as to keep the lines of the plane in the air.
For flight off of grass or paved runway there will be a plug in landing gear. This gets removed for water flight. I think we have come up with a pretty good way to also keep the nose wheel steering.
So lets start this party and have fun with the build as I take you through my build process.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:28 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
Eager Anticipation!!!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:49 PM
USA, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2003
74 Posts
1/12th scale Grumman HU-16 Albatross

CapMike,

I love parties and builds. Sounds like a winner model to me. Thanks for sharing.

Subscribed.

Stan
Zipman is online now Find More Posts by Zipman
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:52 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Today I am working on my formers and then will work on the fuselage. Yesterday in about 20 minutes I was able to build the battery hatch/ cockpit. That needs to be planked to finish off. I will post some pictures as soon as I get more built. You can also follow along with Zeke's thread of the same plane here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post22206438
Zeke is further ahead than I am as he was able to cut and build while I just got my parts on Sunday.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,208 Posts
I started a separate thread in the Water Planes forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1694595

I started the design back around March. After I created the 3D solid model and was happy with how it looked, I started carving out all of the parts. Once I had the design done and all of the 3D parts created, I handed it off to Mike for the somewhat tedious job tabbing and notching the parts together. Once he got that done, I laid out all of the parts in a cut file and started burning balsa in my laser!

I started my build a while ago, so Mike get's the benefit of some revisions that I made after encountering a few minor issues during my build. My hope is to have mine done and the maiden flight before the NEAT Fair in September.

-Zeke
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:29 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
A couple build pictures for now

I haven't been able to get a lot done on this gem because of family. Taking care of a one month old is a job in itself. Here are a couple pictures of the canopy hatch with my Blackberry to give scale of the size
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:37 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Back to the build

I know its been a few weeks since I have updated this build thread. Having to deal with a newborn can sap anyone. Also having to deal with the blown engine in my Range Rover, but I am back at it now.
Ok this is what I am working on right now. I wanted to get a feel of the real size of this plane do I am working on the Fuselage. I already built the sponsons and one is sheeted on the bottom.
The fuse sides consist of 7 interlocked sheets to create the sides. I test fitted all the parts first then took them apart to sand off the holding tabs that were used to lock the parts into the sheets. You then put the puzzle pieces together. Thin CA eased into the seams and you have the complete side. I will post pictures in a little bit of the progress
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:03 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
I was able to get the fuse all framed but when I grabbed the camera to snap pictures the battery was dead. Its on the charger now so will post pictures tomorrow morning. Then comes fun of planking her up
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Pictures as promised

Here are a couple pictures as promised. Today I am going to work on getting the bottom sheeting in place. My control linkages will be here tomorrow and I can get that installed as well. It really is cool seeing this go from the computer to real life, but the screen really does the size no justice. This thing is big enough for my 2 month old son to sit in .
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:25 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
More done on the Alb

The other morning in the wee hours between feeding my son I was able to get the forward sheeting and keel onto the boat. I was able to get that sanded down and its looking great. After discussing some changes with Zeke I am going to attempt to modify the formers in order to plank the rear section of the fuse in an easier manner. I think this will make it better to get the round section complete without former breakage. I will get pictures of this once I make the modifications
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,531 Posts
Mike

Looking good. Hope the newborn isn't too hard on you!!! Had two girls, been there done that and ain't doing it no more!!

Going to be able to make it to NEAT this year? If so, will see you and Zeke. Friday lunch again!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is online now Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:42 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Brian I don't know whether I will make NEAT for Friday lunch and dinner. Hope I can The little guy just makes things a little harder to get done, but happy to have him. If I don't make it to NEAT my plane will be there. I will have the Fuscoe's bring it and let Alfred or Thayer fly it.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:59 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapMike View Post
After discussing some changes with Zeke I am going to attempt to modify the formers in order to plank the rear section of the fuse in an easier manner. I think this will make it better to get the round section complete without former breakage. I will get pictures of this once I make the modifications
After building mine, I felt the rear portion of the hull that gets planked could be much easier to build (I'm always looking for the best and easiest way to build something). I told Mike my idea for the design changes and asked if he'd be interested in trying it out. I need to get a couple of templates made so Mike can print them out and hand cut the changes.
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:46 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
While waiting for the templates from Zeke I just put together the H-stab. total elapsed time from freeing the parts from the sheets to built 10 minutes. Now to get the sheeting on and it will be complete
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:00 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
I got the templates today to trim the formers. After printing them I used some elmers washable school glue stick to mount them and make the cuts. I made the cuts and added the additional former to create the shelf for the planks. I hope to cut my planks and start going later. Hopefully I will have the planks done tomorrow afternoon and get the high spots sanded off. I will post pictures of the progress tomorrow when I get that done.