HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Aug 2005
14 Posts
Help!
Naza gps fail safe crash

I am a newbie to multirotors so this may sound like a dumb question and might have been asked before but here goes.

Setup an Aeroxcraft quad with naza with Gps. Its maiden flight was yesterday and things where great. Could not believe how easy it was to fly. ( I use to fly giant scale rc aircraft). Anyway my setup is as follows

Aeroxcraft quad with ipower 2814q motors
35 A esc from Hobby lobby that have been flashed with simonk
Naza with Gps
Specktrum 2.4 using a JR 10x with 2.4 mod.
2 5000 mah 4s batteries
Aeroxcraft gopro gimbal

The quad was carefully balanced.

Today all flight test where good atti mode was stable and GPS mode showed a little sign of a clockwise toilet bowl rotation but really not that bad.
Landed to check esc's and motors. Disconnted batteries and then powered up quad got GPS lock with flashing green led. Took off and performed some manuvers and checked for stability. Raised alt. to about 15 feet and then switch to failsafe mode via transmitter switch. Thats when all hell broke loose. Quad shot up to about 45 feet and proceeded to start into a very fast right death sprial resulting in a crash.

My question is , what should the normal reaction be of the quad from a hover at 15 feet and about 20 feet from its home position? Should it climb in alt. or just return to its home position?

Thanks,

Pgear99
Pgear99 is offline Find More Posts by Pgear99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:51 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,349 Posts
Pgear99...

believe that depending on how you have the advanced failsafe set in the assistant it will either just land right where it is in it's current position,, or if you have it set to RTH, it rises about 20' and then comes back to where it first got GPS lock.

Did you check to make sure that you had the failsafe set up properly in the assistant? The Failsafe sections should turn blue when you turn your Tx off or hit your switch if you have one programmed for FS...but im not familiar with the JR10x Tx and its Rx...i use a spectrum Tx/Rx..
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Aug 2005
14 Posts
Thanks for the responce . Yes I did have the failsafe set properly in the asistant.

After reading the manual again if below 20 m it will rise but the clockwise tolit bowl death sprial is what has me worried.

Pgear99
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:59 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,349 Posts
ok...yeah i havent actually tested out failsafe on mine yet...still trimming it out and what not...but good luck and i hope you get it all fixed up and working
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:01 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
When you get it repaired, set the magnetic declination then calibrate. That will take care of the toilet bowl issue.
Possibly if that were done first it may have done a correct RTH.

I wish it would have been in the NAZA/GPS manual about compass offset may be needed depending on where you live on the globe.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Aug 2005
14 Posts
Yes I agree that the manual leaves a bit to be desired.another thing that the manual does not clearly state that you must have the throttle at the 50% position before you click the finish button when calibrating the tx throws.

I will set my compass offset andrepost how things turn out. Really has me spooked on ever needing to rely on the failsafe.

Pgear99
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
When you get it repaired, set the magnetic declination then calibrate. That will take care of the toilet bowl issue.
What screen is the magnetic declination is at? unable to locate. I am using version 1.6.

thanks
little nellie is offline Find More Posts by little nellie
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:51 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
none, DJI in its infinate wisdom has you "rotate" the compass/GPS unit "into the toilet bowl" in order to compensate to declination
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:19 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Get into calibration mode and have nothing in your pockets and take your watch off. Have everything running on the quad/hexa/whatever, FPV equip, lights, camera recording, etc.
Put the TX on the ground and kneel down and hold the quad about eye level.
Flick the manual/ATTI/GPS switch 8-10 times quickly and leave it. The yellow light will stay on. Now stand up with the quad at your waist in the hover position and turn left or right almost 360 degrees and the light will turn steady green when the horizontal axis is set. Then face it to the sky (vertical) and turn around again and the light will go out and your done.
Make sure you do this in an open area like a park or your backyard.

Power it up and go forward about 50ft or so and it will probably drift a tad right or left.
Hover back and land.

Leaving it powered up, turn the GPS the OPPOSITE way of the drift just a tad and re-calibrate again.
Keep doing that until it goes in a fairly straight line and then the toilet bowl should be gone.
Mounting the GPS with velcro directly to an arm or on the pole makes this process easy.

If you add or remove ANYTHING AT ALL, start the calibration process over again and you should be fine.

If it doesn't work or you don't get all the red flashes to go away when hovering then try moving the GPS to a different arm.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821