SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:55 PM
Limb stalker
Taft, TN
Joined Aug 2010
135 Posts
Nice job AirHermit! Very clean install of the electronics. I'm curious to see how the battery does on top. I may move mine as well for convenience and may help achieve proper CG. I see you increased your throws. I maxed mine out as well on my transmitter. Helps a lot, especially on the ailerons. Hope the rain breaks for ya!
Parksinatree is offline Find More Posts by Parksinatree
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:51 PM
Fly Low!!!! No Sked.
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
Thanks parksinatree.
The rain did let up just a little. I was anle to do my maiden just an hour ago. And yup, the areobatics seems a little slower than my 44" extra slick. The snap rolls and loops is like slow motion. I kinda like it.
Im running at 125% on all throws. My CG is 100mm. And the battery feels ok installed on top. Seems to have a better static lateral ballance to me. I sure Need to get more stick time to really feel out the plane.
But so far so good.
I was able to take video with my trusty GoPro so stay tuned.

-Hermit
AirHermit is offline Find More Posts by AirHermit
Last edited by AirHermit; Jul 29, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:24 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHermit View Post
Thanks parksinatree.
The rain did let up just a little. I was anle to do my maiden just an hour ago. And yup, yhe areobatics seems a little slower than my 44" slick extra. The snap roll is like slow motion. I kind like it.
Im running at 125% on all throws. My CG is 100mm. And the battery feels ok installed on top. Need to get more stick time to really feel out the plane.

I was able to take video with my trusty GoPro so stay tuned.

-Hermit
Nice job on the set-up. Looks like a very neat install. I like the looks of your battery placement. Let us know if you have issues with it on top.

I Put some flights on mine today and shot some video. i'll get video posted tomorrow along with my thoughts on the planes performance. My Initial thoughts are that we have a very solid flying and “big” flying airplane. It feels as though I am flying a balsa plane and a big balsa plane rather than an EPP plane. I am having some power issues with the motor I am running and hope to get that resolved quickly so that I can get more accurate assessment of its capabilities but even with my limited time at the sticks I can say I think this plane, in it’s size category of 48+ inches, is going to be very popular with those flying similar size balsa planes.
I am going to get my power issues resolved and get it back in the air soon.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Last edited by Gravitycheat; Jul 29, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
1,001 Posts
Hey GravityCheat, thanks for the ride!!!

I was at the field this afternoon and got the opportunity to try out the 342 and had a great time with it. I had watched a few flights before and realized that it has the roll and pitch inertia of a much larger plane. Sure enough, it is very smooth and precise. Much like a larger IMAC type plane, smooth large loops, awesome slow rolls and very easy to do some of the intermediate aerobatics.

I even hung a couple of tail slides between 20 and 30 feet backwards. Impressively stable. I think this would make a great IMAC practice plane.

Yet when you start throwing the sticks around, it 3Ds with the best of them!! Roll rate and timing are a little different than the smaller and lighter 42" foamys, but once you're used to it, does everything very well. It does fly different than all the small foamies, but that's just becuae of the inertia. I especially like its knife edge performance- big knife edge loops are fun! Rollers track very well although the elevator is very powerful, so I had to use less elevator than I am used to. And when you do a wall, that powerful elevator pops it vertical right NOW, and there's no tip stall either. Just pull hard and it pops around, no need for aileron correction.

Landings are simple and very smooth too. This plane makes you look good!!

Now if I can just get GravityCheat to start doing some IMAC style stuff!!!
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Yeah. I have to agree with Kens assessment of the SBACH. I have found that it doesnt have any bad tendencies such as needing corrections after a manuever. It flies big which is super nice. Wind was no big deal. Ken had some super nice Tail slides. They were the best i have ever seen on any plane. Like Ken already said, it does a crazy wall. The best i have ever seen. It doesnt try to roll out at the end which is refreshing. Almost all of my 3D planes try to roll out requiring additional right rudder. This one just tracked straight and true. This plane is a great flyer.

Shawn, Thanks for the opportunity to fly it.
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:06 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Jumpin on the wagon hopefully ill be getting this or the Extra 330SC in the next few months. Are you guys using any mixes, or does it fly perfecly?
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:10 PM
Limb stalker
Taft, TN
Joined Aug 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman18 View Post
Yeah. I have to agree with Kens assessment of the SBACH. I have found that it doesnt have any bad tendencies such as needing corrections after a manuever. It flies big which is super nice. Wind was no big deal. Ken had some super nice Tail slides. They were the best i have ever seen on any plane. Like Ken already said, it does a crazy wall. The best i have ever seen. It doesnt try to roll out at the end which is refreshing. Almost all of my 3D planes try to roll out requiring additional right rudder. This one just tracked straight and true. This plane is a great flyer.

Shawn, Thanks for the opportunity to fly it.
Hey Gravitycheat, how did you mount your motor? Did you use any spacers P factor offset??? You are getting some tremendous compliments on your aircraft from some what seems to be some pretty accomplished and knowledgeable pilots. Would love to see some video of those tail slides....
Parksinatree is offline Find More Posts by Parksinatree
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:50 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Airhermit nice build and install...

I finally started my build last night... should have it it the air by this coming weekend... all the posts and pics are great.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:11 AM
Fly Low!!!! No Sked.
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
Nice job on the set-up. Looks like a very neat install. I like the looks of your battery placement. Let us know if you have issues with it on top......
..........I am having some power issues with the motor I am running and hope to get that resolved quickly so that I can get more accurate assessment of its capabilities but even with my limited time at the sticks I can say I think this plane, in it’s size category of 48+ inches, is going to be very popular with those flying similar size balsa planes.
I am going to get my power issues resolved and get it back in the air soon.
I like where the battery is at the moment. I never tried it below yet but I will some time this week, just to compare and provide feedback. Its intersting though, flying a foamie with a 2200 3s lipo, I can reall feel the weight difference.
Im Glad you mentioned a power issue. My plane sure feels like it could do more.
I may need to check through the ESC Settings, make sure I did that correctly.
At the moment I only have the 11x4.7 prop on hand. Perhaps I could go a higher pitch. Keep us posted as to what you find/do with yours. And Any thoughts or suggestions would will help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
Airhermit nice build and install...

I finally started my build last night... should have it it the air by this coming weekend... all the posts and pics are great.
cdee
Thanks for looking cdee. I may be new to flying fixed wing but, Im sure you will enjoy your 342 as I am. Looking foward to seeing how your build goes as well.
Last edited by AirHermit; Jul 30, 2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:33 AM
Fly Low!!!! No Sked.
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
Hey all. Here is my maiden flight out in my back yard. waited for the weather to clear for just enough time for this vid. Just after this flight, the Rain came back and came down hard. So only one battery pack for the day.

Running gear:
1100 kv 78g out runner
45amp esc (twisted)
4x 18g servo's(twisted)
11x4.7 prop
2200 3s 45c zippy
ar6200 6ch Rx
Dx6i
dual aileron

Please note too, I'v been flying planks for about 4 months now. This Sbach is my fourth Epp plane in
2-1/2 months. All from Twisted. I can do a few areobatics but nowere near smooth or sponsor worthy.LOL. I like doing/practicing the hover and trying to hold a tourque roll. And Yes you will see me crash in this video. Please enjoy!
And Im open to any suggestions or ideas about my plane that I may not be aware of. Listen to the prop as you watch, it sounds kinda loud to me. Prop is ballanced but, just wondering if it may be too close to the frame.

Twisted Hobbies 48" Sbach Hawaii Island (7 min 19 sec)
Last edited by AirHermit; Jul 30, 2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:43 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
What weights are you guys getting? with battery and without?
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:40 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,254 Posts
AirHermit, Nice maiden flight she looks great. Give a 11x5.5 prop (thin electric) a try instead of the slow fly prop, we have recently learned the 11x4.7 slow fly props are not as efficient.
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Twisted Realm; Jul 30, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Jumpin on the wagon hopefully ill be getting this or the Extra 330SC in the next few months. Are you guys using any mixes, or does it fly perfecly?
No mixes.
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:37 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
What weights are you guys getting? with battery and without?
Cdee.. Mine came out to 22.30 with no battery and no spinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
I have no mixes in mine but i only have about 5 flight. It takes me more flights to realy determine if i am going to need any mixing. At this point i can say it won't need much, if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parksinatree View Post
Hey Gravitycheat, how did you mount your motor? Did you use any spacers P factor offset??? You are getting some tremendous compliments on your aircraft from some what seems to be some pretty accomplished and knowledgeable pilots. Would love to see some video of those tail slides....
First couple flights i had did not mess with the thrust angle. Then with the help of gravitational pull with the ground getting in the way (nosed it into the ground) I ended up with a couple degrees of right thrust. It did seem to fly better with the right thrust in it.
I wish i would have had the video rolling when Ken did his tail slides. He did one and slide in down 30 feet or so. I thught it was a fluke (some of my best looking Looking maneuvers have been flukes. ) So I told Ken “lets see that again” And he did it. A good tail slide requires a well balanced plane (along with a well balanced pilot) so it speaks well for the plane to be able to do great tail slides in a row and first time ever flying the plane.

[QUOTE=AirHermit;22303417]I like where the battery is at the moment. I never tried it below yet but I will some time this week, just to compare and provide feedback. Its intersting though, flying a foamie with a 2200 3s lipo, I can reall feel the weight difference.
Im Glad you mentioned a power issue. My plane sure feels like it could do more.
I may need to check through the ESC Settings, make sure I did that correctly.
At the moment I only have the 11x4.7 prop on hand. Perhaps I could go a higher pitch. Keep us posted as to what you find/do with yours. And Any thoughts or suggestions would will help a lot.

Like Brad mentioned, a bigger prop may help your issue. You may want to put a meter on it and see what amps and or watts your pulling to make sure you don’t over prop it. My power issue is simply having the wrong motor on it. That should be fixed in a couple of day.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:45 AM
Fly Low!!!! No Sked.
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Realm View Post
AirHermit, Nice maiden flight she looks great. Give a 11x5.5 prop (thin electric) a try instead of the slow fly prop, we have recently learned the 11x4.7 slow fly props are not as efficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
..........Like Brad mentioned, a bigger prop may help your issue. You may want to put a meter on it and see what amps and or watts your pulling to make sure you don’t over prop it. My power issue is simply having the wrong motor on it. That should be fixed in a couple of day........
Yes Ill try that. I just put my order in to TH for a few of those recamended 11x5.5.
Much Mahalo's my friends.
Looks like i'll be having a bunch of extra 11x4.7 props for a future Telink Purchase(hint hint). But not a word to the wife.