HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:17 AM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
1,001 Posts
Explains the splotches on the workbench.......
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:42 PM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Shawn great thread, I'm dying to see some vid...
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:52 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
Thanks Dan. Must admit i did look back on Threads you and Chris did to get some ideas of how these things should flow.

Got build burn from the last couple days Now after a hard days work i'm ready to get her finished up.

I have a feeling that there are some builds out there nearing completion. I would like to hear how the builds are going and what the thoughts are out there thus far on the plane. I am very pleased with how it has gone together and can’t wait to get it in the air. That should be this weekend. Video will follow shortly there after.
I am going to work on the electronics tonight. The build instructions do not real cover much about installing the electronics. . Most experienced builders will have their own ideas about where to mount everything but I will post pic of how I do mine for those that may need some ideas. Keep in mind that there are numerous ways to configure the electronics. There is no right or wrong as long as you can achieve the correct CG which I think JC said was 110 from the leading edge at the root. I have not look at this yet but will now when deciding where to mount my electronics.
I thing to keep in mind is weight distribution. If you plane to run a lighter battery then you may want to mount things more forward or versa visa for a heavier battery.
So let hear how those builds are going.

Build Note: The build diagram and written instructions have now been updated and there is a link provided on the first thread post.
Looks as though the CG has been revised to 100mm? I will post my CG findings after a few flights.
Gravitycheat is online now Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Last edited by Gravitycheat; Jul 27, 2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Add build notes
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:52 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
+1 what Dan5.0 said.... very nice build Gravity... will use it for my build that starts tonight!
cdee.
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
+1 what Dan5.0 said.... very nice build Gravity... will use it for my build that starts tonight!
cdee.
Thank you. Cdee. I hope you find it helpful. It's a very smooth biild. Just a couple of tricky areas which are addressed in the instructions.
Last edited by Gravitycheat; Jul 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:28 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
Thank you. Cdee. I hope you find it helpful. It's a very smooth biild. Just a couple of tricky areas which are addressed in the instructions.
I have looked the kit over, as well as your pics, and it appears to be very similar to the 1.0m Sbach, which I have build. I did use welders on the carbon bracing on the 1.0 version, where-as it seems on this one the instructions are calling for CA in an effort to make things a little more rigid. I will probably lay my servo down, and recess them in. on the 1.0m I laid them down but just used a dubro tab to mount them externally. I seen your picture on the tensioning clip for the pull-pull, I may give that a try. In the past I have used small cotter pins and a quik link on the servo arm.
cdee.
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
I have looked the kit over, as well as your pics, and it appears to be very similar to the 1.0m Sbach, which I have build. I did use welders on the carbon bracing on the 1.0 version, where-as it seems on this one the instructions are calling for CA in an effort to make things a little more rigid. I will probably lay my servo down, and recess them in. on the 1.0m I laid them down but just used a dubro tab to mount them externally. I seen your picture on the tensioning clip for the pull-pull, I may give that a try. In the past I have used small cotter pins and a quik link on the servo arm.
cdee.
If you are referring to laying the Aileron servos down, I would be interested in how that turns out. I think the recommended method will work fine but I think laying them down may have some advantages. I like how Telink handles it. Please post a pic if you can for the guys that may prefer that method.
Good luck with the build.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:31 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Looks as though the CG has been revised to 100mm? I will post my CG findings after a few flights.
Hey Shawn,

The new instructions say 100mm as a starting point and trim it from there. The updated diagram snows 110mm for the CG.

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:33 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Hey Shawn,

The new instructions say 100mm as a starting point and trim it from there.

JC
Ok. Thanks JC. I'll be workling on battery location and CG tomorrow and then i hope to maiden her.

Weight ready to fly, no battery is: 22.30 oz
Last edited by Gravitycheat; Jul 27, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:18 AM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Ok. Thanks JC. I'll be workling on battery location and CG tomorrow and then i hope to maiden her.

Weight ready to fly, no battery is: 22.30 oz
Awesome!

What kind of throws are you getting on ailerons?

I'm ready to cut the servos in but took some quick measurements and with the longest servo arm, I look to get about 20* of aileron with endpoints at 100%.

Are you using extended arms on the ailerons?

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:01 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,969 Posts
I used standard arms. I wanted to follow the designer’s recommendations as much as possible. As you can see, I probably have around 20 degrees throw. (I did not measure) It does not look like much compared to some of my 3D monsters I have but, Those are barn doors with 20 degrees!! They are massive ailerons. If I do need more throw then I can easly install extended arms to gain it. I will report back soon, I am going to fly later today.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:48 PM
Limb stalker
Taft, TN
Joined Aug 2010
135 Posts
Maiden

Got her in the air this morning. CG at 100mm. Electronics are:
Turnigy C3530-1100 motor w/12x6 APC prop
Hobbywing 40A ESC w/5v UBEC
Hitech HS65MG's all the way around
Spyder 1800mh 3S 25c battery
Spektrum AR6100e receiver (DX8 trans.)

Don't have a weight yet. Don't even have throw measurements either. I just set everything and went for it. First flight she wanted to pitch up badly. I thought "I've got everything as far forward as it will go...". Landed and realized my elevator linkage was off. Back to the bench. Also lost wheel nut on front LG. First change, lock nuts on wheels and remove pants. Done. Couldn't get the ailerons to level properly so did some changing there as well. Had to move battery and ESC all the way forward to get to balance at 100mm CG. Here are the changes I made:
-Got rid of the non adjustable aileron control linkage. Replaced with adjustable.
-Replaced the kevlar thread on the rudder control with a proper lightweight cable and adjustable arm mounts. Just recycled from an old plane. May go back to the kevlar thread for weight. Just got impatient on trying to make the adjuster.
-Added spacers between landing gear and wheel. Wheel wanted to rub on wheel pants mount. Ended up getting rid of wheel pants. They'll just get knocked off anyway. Kept spacers though.
-Cut elevator control arm rod shorter in order to get elevator servo to fit behind wind and clear aileron. Used an adjustable nut to secure control rod to servo arm instead of both "Z" bars. Kept "Z" bar on elevator control horn but cut the other one off and just glued straight piece of wire into carbon rod.
-Added 1.55mm spacer plate behind left side of motor mount to give right thrust offset. Seems to be enough so far.

Other things I'd like to do:
-Add thin plywood for servo mounts. Clean up servo installation.
-Stiffen the rudder and vertical stabilizer. I noticed quite a bit of wiggle while flying but it really didn't affect the plane as far as I could tell. Maybe even reinforce the rudder hinge in the foam.
-pre cut the pocket for the rudder servo before gluing the top half of the fuselage. This would allow easier placement in the middle of the fuse.
-Add longer servo arms for the ailerons. Could use some more throw but we'll see. It flies great as it is.

It's a good flier. It's slower on moves than a balsa plane, but that's to be expected. It's my first EPP plane so I'm getting used to it. It floats through all of the moves instead of instant snaps. It's a great plane for learning 3D as a beginner and will be great for relaxed flying for an experienced 3D pilot. The moves are big and slow. Easy to pull out of a situation. Gives you time. I'm very happy with the Sbach.
Here are some pics of my setup
Parksinatree is offline Find More Posts by Parksinatree
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
I don't know how the aileron servos are intended to be installed but if they were on top of wings you'd have much more travel with your same setup.

That's a very nice looking plane.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:14 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,952 Posts
Quote:
I used standard arms. I wanted to follow the designer’s recommendations as much as possible. As you can see, I probably have around 20 degrees throw. (I did not measure) It does not look like much compared to some of my 3D monsters I have but, Those are barn doors with 20 degrees!! They are massive ailerons. If I do need more throw then I can easly install extended arms to gain it. I will report back soon, I am going to fly later today.
LOL - well they do say to set everything for maximum throws. But 20* seems way too small even for the large control surfaces.

I'm thinking 35* at least for good 3D and 45* is even more desirable. Maybe I'm wrong but my gut says it needs it.

I will convert to adjustable aileron and elevator linkages as well.

Anxiously awaiting your flight report.

Your thoughts on all throws and CG?

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:17 PM
Fly Low!!!! No Sked.
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
Pre-Maiden.....

I think I got everything done and ready for my Maiden flight. The Only thing I need Now at this moment if for the rain to stop.

But till then I took some time to get a few "Pre-Maiden Flight" pictures. Wanted to share my set up with anyone interested before I Pummel this beautiful maching to the ground like how Iv been doing to my 44" and 32" TH planes.
AnyHow, Enjoy! And Thank You Shawn, cdee, parksinatree and of course, Twisted Realm.

AirHermit is offline Find More Posts by AirHermit