HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
Fly Low!!!! No Sked.
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
At the moment, without any Electronics, the Sbach airframe is NOT that much lighter than the RTF 44" Slick(minus battery). Im trying to imagine the weight this Planker will carry with all the guts intalled and 2200 3s Lipo. Looking foward to being able to still fly when it may be too windy for the 32"s and 44"s.
AirHermit is offline Find More Posts by AirHermit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:38 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHermit View Post
At the moment, without any Electronics, the Sbach airframe is NOT that much lighter than the RTF 44" Slick(minus battery). Im trying to imagine the weight this Planker will carry with all the guts intalled and 2200 3s Lipo. Looking foward to being able to still fly when it may be too windy for the 32"s and 44"s.
oh yea.... very curious about the weight, specs are calling for AUW of 20 to 24 oz
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:18 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Well, you did use THREE tubes of Welders so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
oh yea.... very curious about the weight, specs are calling for AUW of 20 to 24 oz.
I figure mine should be at or North of 24oz since my Telink SU-29 came in at 30oz RTF.

I'll be using the same Haiyin 3S 35C 2100's from my SU-29.

JC

ps - Woo Hoo, can't wait to get hom from work... UPS tracking shows: Delivered On: Tuesday, 07/24/2012 at 2:15 P.M.
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:22 PM
Fly Low!!!! No Sked.
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
I allready have one and im still drooling over this thread.
I liked that the landing gear was included with this kit. Too bad i bought a set of gears before i realised that.

Whats your thoughts on the wooden motor mount?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:50 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,855 Posts
Quote:
I allready have one and im still drooling over this thread.
I liked that the landing gear was included with this kit. Too bad i bought a set of gears before i realised that.

Whats your thoughts on the wooden motor mount?
Me too - I am just sitting here looking at it like a kid on Christmas morning.

LOL on the landing gear. But hey, nothing wrong with spare parts - especially landing gear.

I like the motor mount for two reasons: 1) it's thick (thickest I have seen in a kit like this) and 2) the motor's X-mount fits the pre-drilled holes.

JC

ps - For those that have not noticed... Twisted now has 11x5.5E and 12x6E props listed on the site.

pps - The 1100kv motors are "In-stock"
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,877 Posts
Ok guys. I'm nearing about the half way point in my build. It going together very nicely. Everything seems very straight and true without much effort. i've found this to be a very good sign when working with a newly released plane.

I have posted the build pics of what i have done so far. I did not anticipate using as much Welders as I am. I have used almost 2 tubes and will probably use 1 more.

I'm going to try and finish the build and post the pics tomorrow.
Gravitycheat is online now Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
Ok guys. I'm nearing about the half way point in my build. It going together very nicely. Everything seems very straight and true without much effort. i've found this to be a very good sign when working with a newly released plane.

I have posted the build pics of what i have done so far. I did not anticipate using as much Welders as I am. I have used almost 2 tubes and will probably use 1 more.

Nice job!

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:

Yeah. And then some video!!!!!
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Shawn,
Very good job on the build pics, Everything is very clear and understandable. Great Job!!!! I wasnt going to say anything but maybe you should shave your arms.
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:39 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman18 View Post
Shawn,
Very good job on the build pics, Everything is very clear and understandable. Great Job!!!! I wasnt going to say anything but maybe you should shave your arms.
I just shaved them this morning
Gravitycheat is online now Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:43 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Nice job!

JC
what JC said +1... looks really nice Gravity!!
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:56 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,855 Posts
Build Tip --- Gluing Carbon Fiber

Here's a building tip for guys who have not glued carbon fiber before:

Sand your carbon fiber strips, rods and tubes before you glue them.

This removes any remnants of the mold release agents and gives the CF some porosity and tooth for the glue to soak in and/or adhere to.

If you've glued carbon fiber before and noticed that the glue tends to bead up like a freshly washed car, you know why I recommend sanding the CF before gluing.

So give it a light sanding and wipe it off with a towel to remove the dust. Then glue as ususal.

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:56 PM
Fly Low!!!! No Sked.
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
I am now into my 4th tube of welders. So glad I HomeDepot was well stocked for me.

One other thing to take note of is that we needs to cut out servo slots. A litttle different to the TH and Telnick planes that I worked on. Kinda hoping I can get away with atleast the Elevator servo more twards the tail to help compensate for a heavier battery like a 2200 3s.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:02 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman18 View Post
Shawn, I wasnt going to say anything but maybe you should shave your arms.
Quote:
I just shaved them this morning
LMAO That appealed to my sense of humour, cheers guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Here's a building tip for guys who have not glued carbon fiber before:

Sand your carbon fiber strips, rods and tubes before you glue them.

JC
This is true and makes the world off difference but to add to that be very careful of carbon dust, not nice stuff.
Aviefly is online now Find More Posts by Aviefly